Business Approach for Video Game Physical and Digital versions *spawn*

@MrFox
Speaking of control it's not like we can do anything we want with discs...people just like to forget it or ignore it.
In what way? You can loan it, lend it, give it, sell it, keep it for 50 years. If you really want, you can use it as a place mat. The license to use the game is intrinsically linked to the distribution format, making the license fully transferable (I believe the EU has effectively ruled on as much).

@MrFox
Speaking of control it's not like we can do anything we want with discs...people just like to forget it or ignore it.
Of course not "anything", it's copy protected just like DVDs and Blurays, (and any DD game too) so you can't duplicate it, it's bought once, it exists once. The copy protection is controlled by the company on every method proposed so far. It's not forgotten nor ignored, we talked about it here and I think we agree that it's not rational to ask the game companies to make the games unencrypted.

Haven't Microsoft traditionally used drives with custom controllers?

Haven't Microsoft traditionally used drives with custom controllers?

They used custom Firmware on standard optical drives on X360.
They used custom Firmware on standard hard drives on X360.

They use standard Firmware with standard hard drives on XboxOne.

I dont know if they use custom Firmware on standard optical drives on XboxOne.

They use standard Firmware with standard hard drives on XboxOne.

So you can replace the internal drive with a larger capacity unit without problems? I did not know this.

So you can replace the internal drive with a larger capacity unit without problems? I did not know this.

Yup, but it voids warranty.

You only need to have the proper set of partitions and partition types. One of the middle partitions can/will grow depending on the size of the drive.

This was one of the first items that was hacked by the community, and was before the support for external drives by Microsoft.

The OS have no facility to backup and restore it, nor reformat a new drive. You need to backup the partition content and edit the partition table. It's really a hack.

Didn't they succeed with something similar with the 360? Opening up the plastic case and replace the drive?

The OS have no facility to backup and restore it, nor reformat a new drive. You need to backup the partition content and edit the partition table. It's really a hack.

Didn't they succeed with something similar with the 360? Opening up the plastic case and replace the drive?

Yes, but you need to copy over 3 security sectors, so you could only use predefined drive sizes for the internal units, 20gb, 60gb, 120gb, 250gb, 320gb, and 512gb.

They do support any standard external usb2 drive upto 2.2tb in size. The limit is like many old computers whose bios only supports up to 2.2tb drives.

I read not so long ago that the xb1 had been updated to support (either 1 or 2tb drives) which supprised me as I expected it to support any drive
ps: thats for the internal drive.
edit: it could of been for the 360 - sorry
http://majornelson.com/2015/04/30/x...w-available-adds-support-for-2tb-hard-drives/

The xbox one supports 2 instances of any size external drive. Its working perfectly with my 4tb drive in an external enclosure.

Using the hack method of drive copy with a custom GPT any size drive will work according to what I saw reported on the forums.

@Nesh

Yes that's what I meant.

@Shifty Geezer
@MrFox

If "freedom of use" is the reason why games go for discs then I just wanted to point that we have limitations as well with discs, just less than with downloads but we have them.
I was probably stating the obvious...sorry, useless post by me.

@Nesh

Yes that's what I meant.

@Shifty Geezer
@MrFox

If "freedom of use" is the reason why games go for discs then I just wanted to point that we have limitations as well with discs, just less than with downloads but we have them.
I was probably stating the obvious...sorry, useless post by me.
But like they said, there's no limitation for me selling my disk, if I want to.

I happen to have a collection, and in my garage, I recently ran into a brand new, still wrapped and unopened copy of Resident Evil 3 (PS1). It goes for as much as $300.
No one can stop me from selling it, and no one can stop anyone from buying it.

That's true ownership there. I prefer owning the things I buy.

But like they said, there's no limitation for me selling my disk, if I want to.

I happen to have a collection, and in my garage, I recently ran into a brand new, still wrapped and unopened copy of Resident Evil 3 (PS1). It goes for as much as $300.
No one can stop me from selling it, and no one can stop anyone from buying it.

That's true ownership there. I prefer owning the things I buy.

We own downloaded games too, or any other intangible good, we jsut can't sell them but if we had a some sort of digital store/marketplace then we could do it.

Last edited:
We own downloaded games too, or any other intangible good, we jsut can't sell them but if we had a some sort of digital store/marketplace then we could do it.

You're right, the difference is that your practicalities of ownership of digital content is more limited than with tangible goods and this is the problem that many people have. They are used to a concept of ownership where ownership traditionally means there are no technical barriers to selling, swapping or lending something they own.

As others have said, this loss of rights may be more palatable to consumers wider if the cost of ownership of digital products was lower than for the tangible equivilent, Certainly in the UK I can get any game significantly cheaper on Blu-ray disc than I can digitally.

@DSoup

Last gen I bought everything from the UK, saving around €20 per purchase, but now I am 100% digital and, unlike last gen, I don't have to wait a semester for the price drops to show up...also I went digital because in UK prices have been adjusted to the EU standards so I no longer save that much.

For instance I grabbed MGS Ground Zeroes for €15, 50% discount, not long after release.
I bought Everyone is Gone to the Rapture for €10, 50% less again, a week after release.
Tomb Raider was very cheap too, €15 I believe, but I didn't get it; The Witcher 3 was discounted last week.
Killzone was cheaper digitally, and even inFamous.
I am not saying it's a heaven for customers, some many titles are still more expensive digitally, but it's better than the last gen...maybe companies are learning, maybe something is changing ;)

Last edited:
WSJ has an article about people who attempted to cut the cord or primarily go with streaming video facing bandwidth caps or paying additional fees to get unlimited data. Or resubscribing to cable or satellite TV to avoid going over the caps:

Regulators have expressed concern about the lack of competition in the broadband market. Last year, the Justice Department noted that 70% of all homes in the U.S. have access to only one or no broadband provider that meets the FCC’s definition of high-speed service.

Sling TV executives say many former customers tell the company they dropped the $20-a-month streaming service because they were being charged so much in extra broadband fees that it was cheaper to simply go back to cable TV. The over-the-top service—meaning it is delivered over the Internet—offers a slim bundle of pay-TV channels, such as AMC and CNN.

Broadband companies’ “incentive is to sabotage over-the-top services, and data caps is a primary tool in order to accomplish that,” says Jeff Blum, deputy general counsel at Dish Network Corp., which owns Sling TV. “It’s competing with their bundle.”

Comcast denies its data caps are targeted at stifling online video rivals. “We everyday contribute to the use and the growth of the Internet,” Mr. Jenckes says. “There is absolutely no anticompetitive belief or objective.”

Sling TV Chief Executive Roger Lynch estimates that if a household watched 5½ hours of high-definition streaming a day—the average time American adults spend watching TV today—it would consume about 375 gigabytes a month. That is without counting other Internet use like Facebook or email, he notes.

Some companies like Netflix and Sling TV have options that let people lower the quality of streams to conserve data. But many are pushing for higher quality video, which gobbles up data faster. The Masters golf tournament, for example, streamed the famous “Amen Corner” in ultrahigh definition to Sony and Samsung smart TVs this year.

“The expectation for over the top has changed,” says John Bishop, an executive at Akamai Technologies Inc. who works with media companies to help them distribute their video across the broader Internet. “In many cases, people are expecting it to be better than television.”

For sports like the NCAA basketball tournament in March, which Akamai helped stream, “you could actually make out individual beads of sweat on the players,” Mr. Bishop says. Akamai is working with clients to make their video delivery more efficient, he says.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/broadband-data-caps-pressure-cord-cutters-1461257846

For all the talk about OTT services and revolutionizing TV, the US is still beholden to broadband monopolies which have a vested interest in maintaining traditional TV distribution businesses.

Yet the physical media business isn't doing well. Sales of DVDs and Blu Rays decline every year. Although UHD Blu Ray was just introduced earlier this year, it's widely seen as a niche format which will never reach the penetration of DVDs or probably even Blu Ray.

There have been attempts to push digital distribution for consoles. But again, they will have the same problems with bandwidth caps, especially if one subscribes to video streaming services in addition to downloading games which ship on Blu-Ray discs. Hence the PS4 Neo or PS4K is expected to have a drive capable of playing back UHD Blu Ray.

Unless and until the broadband situation in the US improves, we'll be dealing with physical media.

How much flexibility do publishers have for console game packaging? Xbox, Playstation, and Nintendo all seem to use fairly uniform cases.

How much flexibility do publishers have for console game packaging? Xbox, Playstation, and Nintendo all seem to use fairly uniform cases.

I had a quick a quick look at some of my PS4 game boxes and they're all produced from recycled plastic and are further recyclable Xbox game boxes are almost certainly the same. This may be something mandated by Microsoft and Sony as part of their environmental policies.

I had a quick a quick look at some of my PS4 game boxes and they're all produced from recycled plastic.
Where is that shown? Certainly BluRay and DVD cases have always been made from recyclable plastic. It's the discs themselves that are a nuisance.

Back