I'm curious, How do you connect your PC games to Surround Sound?

orangpelupa

Elite Bug Hunter
Legend
I'm really confused.

1. On my previous thread, it was concluded that I have this issue due to my crappy sound system only able to do surround via Dolby digital / DTS instead of LPCM (as pc games only outputs in LPCM)
  2. I've Googled around, turns out not all TV can pass thru surround LPCM from Hdmi to hdmi, as HDMI ARC only supports stereo. Even rtings.com only tests encoded surround audio pass thru (e.g. Dolby digital).
  3. The only sure thing is using AVR because they specifically says they capable of surround LPCM pass Tru, lpcm to AC3 encoding, etc on their spec sheets.
  4. HDMI eARC on hdmi 2.1 should solve this issue, as it supports surround LPCM up to 7.1ch. But will all the equipments in chain should have hdmi 2.1 with eARC? Is there even a gpu with hdmi 2.1? Even rtx series is 2.0b IIRC
So now I'm curious How do you connect your PC games to Surround Sound?

Edit: sorry, I no longer looking for AVR or USB sound card. As I've found a way to do Dolby digital live over hdmi.

Last edited:
what AVR do you use? considering to save money for AVR or gambling and buy those cheap chinese no-brand "USB to SPDIF" sound card thingy hahaha.
Why do you even bother asking here? You never follow any advice.

If you want surround sound just commit to investing in a proper receiver. I use a Sony with 7.1 channels that supports 4K HDR passthrough.

Why do you even bother asking here? You never follow any advice.

to look for what's recommended, then compares them with what available in Indonesia.

Btw,
Last time, I took the advice for BeQuiet PSU, buying ryzen instead of Intel xeon, etc. As they also available in Indonesia.

Anyway problem solved, no longer need to look for AVR or usb sound card as I found a way to enable Dolby Digital Live encoding over HDMI.

Currently still in the middle of making a tutorial for that, hopefully can help others that also want to get surround sound over HDMI directly from their PC.

Back