Next Generation Hardware Speculation with a Technical Spin [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
yea we also don't know to what extent. And we don't know how they are using it.

Racing games tend to be good ways of showcasing the graphical power. Most of the focus is on the cars and the environments are rather large and open.

Forza will probably be an exception with regards to 120fps.

I expect most console games to be capped at 60fps.

Unbounded dynamic resolution. Temporal upscaling. VRS + RT + 120fps.

Also:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/ph...-will-focus-more-on-that.167185/post-28629272

I am expecting Ori to be 8k 120fps on the Series X.

I am thinking lots of titles on Xsx will not be capped on resolution and/or framerate.
interesting.
looking forward to seeing this play out. I won't crucify you if you are wrong ;) I would like to see all the tech come together and see what the upper bounds are. Forza is a good pick for all of these items to come together. Non racing games are much more complex.

That’s not even possible without DSC. Way above 48Gbps.
Isn't PS5 and XSX both HDMI 2.1 ?
Oh, you are referring to Ori.

Yea 8K @ 120fps, unlikely (more like 0% chance) Artwork for that game is locked. I'm actually thinking it's going to be 1080p

I thought HDMI 2.1 allows for 8k120fps?

https://www.hdmi.org/spec21Sub/EightK60_FourK120
  • 4K50/60
  • 4K100/120
  • 5K50/60
  • 5K100/120
  • 8K50/60
  • 8K100/120
  • 10K50/60
  • 10K100/120

DSC 1.2a (Display Stream Compression) in HDMI 2.1 allows for many of the higher resolution/framerate combos with a visually lossless 3:1 compression. Though I've been around the houses looking for absolute conformation as to what degree it is mandatory/optional in any given HDMI 2.1 implementation and if 8K120 + HDR + 4:4:4 is possible. I think 8K60 is standard, but when you start piling in HDR/Dynamic-HD, 10/12-Bit, Chroma Subsampling, audio and other new features it's hard to know what's supported.

Once we can do 8K @ 120HZ with Dynamic HDR in 12-Bit / 4:4:4 / BT.2020 via DSC + Object Audio + VRR/ALLM/QMS/'CC', then the rest is gravy imo..... outside of VR, there's perceptibly nothing more to be gained for games, movies and tv on a single conventional display.

Plot twist! Zen for the consoles have dedicated hardware for ray tracing instead of the GPU! Otherwise how could they call it hardware accelerated if it's done using bog standard x86 instructions running on the CPU?

In all seriousness this might not be directly related to ray tracing or it might be the next stage done on the GPU. The title talks about "placement", not lighting "generation" per se?

This is no RT accelerated in CPU, they just use the CPU in production for automatize the placement of dynamic lighting baked probe. Probes use baked ligthing and it is a mess for artist to do the placement manually.

EDIT: They will not be the only one to do this. I expect for example some open world like Horizon Zero Dawn do the same for sun/moon lightsource and use high quality RT for other dynamic ligthsource.

Last edited:
This is no RT accelerated in CPU, they just use the CPU in production for automatize the placement of dynamic lighting baked probe. Probes use baked ligthing and it is a mess for artist to do the placement manually.

Touché, I was editing my post to say something similar lol

DSC 1.2a (Display Stream Compression) in HDMI 2.1 allows for many of the higher resolution/framerate combos with a visually lossless 3:1 compression. Though I've been around the houses looking for absolute conformation as to what degree it is mandatory/optional in any given HDMI 2.1 implementation and if 8K120 + HDR + 4:4:4 is possible. I think 8K60 is standard, but when you start piling in HDR/Dynamic-HD, 10/12-Bit, Chroma Subsampling, audio and other new features it's hard to know what's supported.

Once we can do 8K @ 120HZ with Dynamic HDR in 12-Bit / 4:4:4 / BT.2020 via DSC + Object Audio + VRR/ALLM/QMS/'CC', then the rest is gravy imo..... outside of VR, there's perceptibly nothing more to be gained for games, movies and tv on a single conventional display.
Of course there is much more still to come. The display could be 3D, track your head and be multifocal

There is likely going to be some input lag if the signal has to be decompressed by the TV.

Isn't PS5 and XSX both HDMI 2.1 ?
Oh, you are referring to Ori.

Yea 8K @ 120fps, unlikely (more like 0% chance) Artwork for that game is locked. I'm actually thinking it's going to be 1080p

Isn't the artwork hand drawn? You could scan this at any resolution I guess and scale to the final output. In fact I would think you scan it initially as high as possible and downscale to the target.

What this means for the base xbox or how its distributed I am not sure but I could see them doing it.

Isn't the artwork hand drawn? You could scan this at any resolution I guess and scale to the final output. In fact I would think you scan it initially as high as possible and downscale to the target.

What this means for the base xbox or how its distributed I am not sure but I could see them doing it.
Perhaps you’re right. I’m not sure to be honest. They didn’t release a X1X version of the title; so I just assumed they will take the same path again. (Neither did cup head) but neither titles needed it either. Though I suppose ORI would benefit more from it

USB-A in 2020?
That means no 40Gbps USB4 for fast external storage, nor VirtuaLink VR connections, nor a bunch of other forward-looking stuff.

:(

Assuming the USB 3.1 port is final (probably is), it'll still do 10 Gbps. That can support over 1 GBps transfer speeds from external storage which is still more than the vast majority of external enclosures.

As to VR, it isn't absolutely necessary to have VirtualLink VR although that would be optimal. My experience with the Oculus Quest using a measly 150 Mbps is quite good. If the hardware decoder in the Quest were better, they could use significantly more bandwidth with a commensurate increase in video quality.

From a reply on reddit answering a user question.
Even USB 3.0 (aka 3.1 Gen 1) bandwidth is more than enough for Link, which only uses around 150Mbps at the moment due to hardware decoder limitations. Carmack has plans to work around that but still within the bounds of the 3.0/3.1 Gen 1 spec.

In other words, they can still easily do single cable VR with the XBSX even if it only ships with USB 3.1 Gen2 ports if they need to.

I still doubt MS has hard committed to VR. While it's been able to maintain a relatively niche level of interest, it has thus far failed to come anywhere close to taking off. There are even some VR developers who are saying if VR doesn't take off in 2020, they'll quit making VR games and go back to just making games for a 2D displays. IMO - it's still a rather large gamble to double down on VR.

Regards,
SB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back