Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
And coming from Penello: the irony. As he and his colleagues at MS used Jaguar in 2017 on their new console when Zen was available. Maybe he is just using his own experiences at MS: "We used Jaguar in 2017, Sony would have done the same in 2019".

How would you even know if Zen1 was available back then to license or practicable for an APU? If Sony previously planned to release in 2019 their design must have been fixed in 2017 before Zen2's modular IP was ready which might be a requirement for a custom APU.

There must have been a reason why the X1X didn't use Zen1 as the next generation could have profited from a better baseline with faster XSX adoption in mind.

How would you even know if Zen1 was available back then to license or practicable for an APU? If Sony previously planned to release in 2019 their design must have been fixed in 2017 before Zen2's modular IP was ready which might be a requirement for a custom APU.

There must have been a reason why the X1X didn't use Zen1 as the next generation could have profited from a better baseline with faster XSX adoption in mind.

It would be a waste as it was the same generation, they decided it would live as long as the One S, games would always need to cater to Jaguar so why change.

If games then targeted zen1 it would make the already poor jaguar cpus run code likely optimised for another arch.

Microsoft kept the core tech devs use the same, if you optimise for X the base system benefits.

It's was almost certainly the right decision, otherwise they were throwing their current customers under the bus.

I look at it from a market size perspective. By the time XSX launched they would have a nice amount of consoles with a Zen1 baseline the XSX could have profited from early on.

If games then targeted zen1...
Yeah, if games targeted XB1X then the XB1 would struggle. But they aren't. XB1X would just get XB1 games and run them in better quality. With Zen, it'd be even better and smoother in operation - see DF's latest investigation on the performance improvement of a better CPU. It probably just cost more than it's worth - bigger processor, more silicon, more expense, and XB1X is costing enough already.

Yeah, if games targeted XB1X then the XB1 would struggle. But they aren't. XB1X would just get XB1 games and run them in better quality. With Zen, it'd be even better and smoother in operation - see DF's latest investigation on the performance improvement of a better CPU. It probably just cost more than it's worth - bigger processor, more silicon, more expense, and XB1X is costing enough already.

I think I was not clear

I meant target the way the cpu operates, cache and such. Not performance exactly, but if they optimised the routines for zen then jaguar would suffer over and above the performance difference.

They have been clear, optimising for X as the lead design platform benefits S. That would change with zen outside of the cpu grunt. You would be optimising for one and de-optimising the other.

There is even games which are planned to appear in E3 disappeared from conference less than one month before.

Currently they can't do something in February without giving an invitation to the press before end of next week but this is a new marketing team and maybe a they want to do things differently than in 2013 and go their own way this is just my personal opinion. Maybe today or before end of next week they will announce something.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back