Advice for bargain-bin NVMe SSD

orangpelupa

Elite Bug Hunter
Legend

i can't find any benchmark for the TLC lexar. The QLC Crucial is this https://www.anandtech.com/show/13512/the-crucial-p1-1tb-ssd-review/10 (seems to have issues with high latency)

EDIT: forgot to mention my use case

• gaming! err... more like... Destiny 2 machine? I only play Destiny 2, and tons of small VR games
  • video editing
  • 3d rendering
  • aerial mapping -> orthomosaic
  • photogrammetry
  • photoshop with huge PSB files
i usually did some of those simultaneously (e.g. editing photo while waiting for video render) while Destiny 2 running, and a bunch of chrome tabs and windows in background. Plus sometimes while watching anime with 60fps frame interpolation via SVP.

I only got 16GB of RAM. So windows usually allocates 20-50GB pagefile.

Last edited:
Re-visiting thread once you post your frustrations on why your drive is doing weird things after buying from the bargain-bin.

Re-visiting thread once you post your frustrations on why your drive is doing weird things after buying from the bargain-bin.

Maybe this time I'll encounter 50 years old bug instead of 10 years old bug hahaha.

Ugh, I'm really disappointed with myself for choosing Nvidia.

Your editing a photo while playing destiny and watching anime - No just no....

Why not?

Opening or saving or doing filters on a huge Photoshop document took quite awhile. I can play destiny or watch anime a bit. Then alt tab back to Photoshop.

I've been torturing my windows tablet with Samsung msata ssd doing similar but lighter workload (e.g. instead of D2, I played unavowed. Watching anime without SVP) for years and it's still as fast as ever.

I do need to oil the cpu fan every 3 months tho hahaha

play me at something, you simultaneously start working in photoshop and watch how badly you get owned
Obviously you can't do both at the same time but I regularly have a game open in a window, working on a scene in Daz Studio, an image in Photoshop, PHPStorm IDE running and watching a YouTube video. Heck I even Play Diablo 3 at full detail whilst Iray Rendering in DS, which hammers the GPU.

Obviously you can't do both at the same time but I regularly have a game open in a window, working on a scene in Daz Studio, an image in Photoshop, PHPStorm IDE running and watching a YouTube video. Heck I even Play Diablo 3 at full detail whilst Iray Rendering in DS, which hammers the GPU.

the awesome wonder of Windows multitasking :D

impossible to do that on android phone with any amounts of RAM. It will still kill background apps with no warning hahahaha

Last edited:
Not sure but if you go here:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/pc-components/storage/ssd-solid-state
the iops are listed in the specs for the drive

eg:
970 EVO PLUS 500GB M.2 2280 PCI-E 3.0 X4 NVME SOLID STATE DRIVE
- Sequential Read: 3500MB/s
- Sequential Write: 3200MB/s
- Random Read (4KB, QD32): 480,000 IOPS
- Randwom Write (4KB, QD32): 550,000 IOPS
- Random Read (4KB, QD1): 19,000 IOPS
- Random Write (4KB, QD!): 60,000 IOPS

WD BLACK 500GB SN750 M.2 2280 NVME PCI-E GEN3 SOLID STATE DRIVE INCLUDES HEATSINK (S500G3XHC)
- Sequential Read/Write: Upto 34700 / Upto 2600 MB/s
- Read 4KB IOPS: Upto 420K
- Write 4KB IOPS: Upto 380K

edit: try https://www.anandtech.com/bench/SSD18/2447

Last edited:
Not sure but if you go here:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/pc-components/storage/ssd-solid-state
the iops are listed in the specs for the drive

eg:
970 EVO PLUS 500GB M.2 2280 PCI-E 3.0 X4 NVME SOLID STATE DRIVE
- Sequential Read: 3500MB/s
- Sequential Write: 3200MB/s
- Random Read (4KB, QD32): 480,000 IOPS
- Randwom Write (4KB, QD32): 550,000 IOPS
- Random Read (4KB, QD1): 19,000 IOPS
- Random Write (4KB, QD!): 60,000 IOPS

WD BLACK 500GB SN750 M.2 2280 NVME PCI-E GEN3 SOLID STATE DRIVE INCLUDES HEATSINK (S500G3XHC)
- Sequential Read/Write: Upto 34700 / Upto 2600 MB/s
- Read 4KB IOPS: Upto 420K
- Write 4KB IOPS: Upto 380K

edit: try https://www.anandtech.com/bench/SSD18/2447
Can we really trust spec sheets?

Btw Anand use iometer but that app is so confusing. I don't know how to start the benchmark.

I got my tax return, so I ordered a 2TB Pioneer nvme SSD. I wanted to get the HPX950 but it was out of stock at Amazon. The Pioneer reportedly uses the same Phision controller and Toshiba NAND chips as a lot of the other well reviewed TLC drives like Silicon Power's.

I got my tax return, so I ordered a 2TB Pioneer nvme SSD. I wanted to get the HPX950 but it was out of stock at Amazon. The Pioneer reportedly uses the same Phision controller and Toshiba NAND chips as a lot of the other well reviewed TLC drives like Silicon Power's.
Nice hpx950 benchmarks were awesome.

Turns out cheap ssd from lexar dies in less than 3 years.

From now on, will only buy high end ssd with 5+ years warranty

I just bought a 2tb nvme ssd from a second hand electronics store 50% off
1662283224499.png
The SN850X is specced with PCIe Gen4 performance, quoting up to 7.3GB/s read and 6.6GB/s write in sequential transfer speeds for the 2TB and 4TB model.
In random 4K performance, the higher-capacity models are expected to reach up to 1.2 million IOPS read and 1.2 million IOPS write

Turns out cheap ssd from lexar dies in less than 3 years.

From now on, will only buy high end ssd with 5+ years warranty

Yeah, I would have suggested the Crucial drive. Similar to Samsung they make their own NAND to incorporate into their own drives. Unlike Samsung, they are much more affordable. In general they are a bit slower than Samsung NVME drives as Crucial (Actual company Micron) tends to focus more on robustness and reliability when making their drives as their main client market is enterprise customers (those SSDs are usually marketed under the Micron brandname). They do also make consumer drives which aren't as robust as their enterprise products but they're still generally more reliable than most consumer SSDs.

I have a Crucial C300 that's over 10 years old that is still just happily chugging along.

Also a good place for storage reviews if they review the product you're interested in is: https://www.storagereview.com/

They also have a database of products which can include products that don't make it into an actual review.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
Back