Stadia, Google Game Streaming platform [2019-2021]

Is there a way that this platform could realistically be salvaged at this point? It's too late to walk it back into beta, so what's the right way to begin to make this more appealing to the masses?

Perhaps bundling it into one larger subscription could help? For example, a single monthly subscription fee to Google, in exchange for ad-free YouTube, YouTube Music, and Stadia?

It seems that just carrying on down this current road isn't going to yield improvements, so they certainly need to do something.

I think it can be salvaged, but they need to get past a major hurdle first -- they need to get it consistently working better than 4Pro and OneX with nearly 2x the hardware. I can't imagine what they'll need to be able to match the fidelity of the PS5 and XBSX generation.

Ars looks at Stadia game Thumper and compares user numbers across the different platforms it's available on.

Red entire article @ https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020...e-game-only-has-a-few-thousand-total-players/

Taking Stadia’s temperature: How many subscribers claim its freebies?
Thumper hasn't been a big draw for Stadia's seemingly limited player base.

The Google Stadia version of Thumper, which is being offered for free to all paid Stadia Pro subscribers, has only seen a few thousand players, based on leaderboard data reviewed by Ars Technica. The numbers suggest significant struggles as the new streaming gaming service from Google, launched in November, tries to attract players away from traditional gaming platforms.

Thumper, along with Rise of the Tomb Raider, was a free Stadia Pro title for the month of January, meaning everyone who paid $129 for the service's "Founder's Edition" and "Premiere Edition" bundles has access to it (those bundles, which are the only current way to access Stadia, include three months of Stadia Pro service). As of this morning, though, only 5,515 people have registered a score on the leaderboards for the first stage of the Stadia version of the game, which separates such leaderboards by platform. That number was at 4,563 on January 15, when Ars conducted a spot check.

That doesn't mean that Stadia Pro only has 5,515 users, of course. For one thing, not everyone who has played the game has finished the first stage (which takes about 10 minutes to complete, depending on personal performance). Trophy data for the Xbox One and PS4 versions of the game, though, suggests that almost 70 percent of all Thumper players do manage to pass this low bar, which would translate to about 8,000 total players so far for the Stadia version.

Then again, it's important to remember that all those players on non-Stadia platforms had to actually pay up to $20 to buy the game before playing it. Thumper has only attracted a few thousand Stadia players despite being completely free for everyone currently using the service since the beginning of January.

I have been on vacation, but still, I really have no incentive to pull up the Stadia and do anything with it.
In comparison I bought the TheC64 https://retrogames.biz/thec64 and spent more time with that than the Stadia, playing old nostalgia games :)

Self-Fulfilling actions ... dont want to be on a short term platform so we wont give them games which will force them to close it down. :LOL:

Is there a way that this platform could realistically be salvaged at this point? It's too late to walk it back into beta, so what's the right way to begin to make this more appealing to the masses?

It needs a few big winners to force publishers to think twice. If a lot of people buy Cyberpunk to play on Geforce now that could give it some momentum.

Cyberpunk would possibly be the worst thing that could happen for Stadia. If it's available for GeforceNow, and CDPR aren't known for anti-consumer exclusivity, then why would anyone buy it on Stadia instead? To play on their phone?

So this is yet another title that falls short despite having substantially more CPU and over 75% more GPU than Xbox One X. I can't imagine a single game instance having full use of those specs and failing to deliver, they just have to be sharing resources with multiple games.

Does this mean they will have to double the current Stadia specs just to be on par for next-gen consoles?

DOOM Eternal's promised resolution and framerate is yet another promise that Stadia hasn't been able to live up to. This makes the Stadia version of DOOM Eternal roughly equivalent to the game's Xbox One X version, despite Google's claims that Stadia is a stronger platform.

So this is yet another title that falls short despite having substantially more CPU and over 75% more GPU than Xbox One X. I can't imagine a single game instance having full use of those specs and failing to deliver, they just have to be sharing resources with multiple games.

Does this mean they will have to double the current Stadia specs just to be on par for next-gen consoles?

yes I think share ressources, the same CPU and GPU on PC run games much faster.

Why did Stadia think custom Vega 56 gpu's would be enough to power 4K 60fps cloud games using Vulkan? Was it an oversight or were they being too cheap, or mislead?
specs.jpg

Why did Stadia think custom Vega 56 gpu's would be enough to power 4K 60fps cloud games using Vulkan? Was it an oversight or were they being too cheap, or mislead?
Maybe their only research was looking at review site benchmarks where Doom can average 60fps on Vega 56 at 4k, but not take into account everything else involved in encoding and streaming. I kinda doubt AMD would have guaranteed them anything and they are simply doing as much 4k marketing as they can for the checkbox.

Hmmm, the good and the bad when using the best case scenario in terms of internet connection and low latency display.
  • Good
    • Matches XBO-X resolution and performance.
    • Multiple levels of motion blur can be selected.
  • Middling
    • Mix of XBO-S and XBO-X graphical settings.
  • Bad
    • Latency makes the game not fun to play.
    • FOV slider was removed.
      • Presumably because it affects performance...but XBO-X still has it.
Would have been nice if they had also mentioned how much bandwidth DE was using in "4k" mode.

Regards,
SB

Stadia is going to be in an interesting position with the new consoles. Its not going to be able keep up visually and it already lags behind in ummm lag. I honestly think Google will sunset it instead of upgrading their infrastructure.

Microsoft on the other hand seems to have made a smart play with the xsx hardware and its machine learning enhancements along with its ability to have one xsx series run multiple instances of an xbox one game. I think with that MS may have solved the scaling issue in regards server farms. I'm guessing a mid 2021 launch.

MS coupling the games to game pass is also a good idea. MS is going to try and get you on a single subscription plan that you can take across all devices. MS has two devices coming later this year that will make one second guess a switch for portable gaming

Stadia is going to be in an interesting position with the new consoles. Its not going to be able keep up visually and it already lags behind in ummm lag. I honestly think Google will sunset it instead of upgrading their infrastructure.

Microsoft on the other hand seems to have made a smart play with the xsx hardware and its machine learning enhancements along with its ability to have one xsx series run multiple instances of an xbox one game. I think with that MS may have solved the scaling issue in regards server farms. I'm guessing a mid 2021 launch.

MS coupling the games to game pass is also a good idea. MS is going to try and get you on a single subscription plan that you can take across all devices. MS has two devices coming later this year that will make one second guess a switch for portable gaming

What do you mean?

Back