My GeForce 980Ti doesn't like HDMI output | 4K60 issues

Tagrineth

murr
Veteran
I inherited a GeForce 980Ti a while back - anyone that knew me back in the day knows I wouldn't have chosen this card, lol

It has certainly served me well since I got it, with one exception. For some reason the HDMI output is extremely finicky. On a slightly older 1080p-but-natively-lower TV it had laggy and occasionally flickery output, and some drivers simply wouldn't allow a handshake with the TV at all.

More recently I got a newer and much nicer 4K TV, a Philips 43PFL5602, and while now I definitely don't have any signal issues... I can't get 4K to work at 60Hz. Consistently, anyway.

I was previously using an older 16' HDMI - still am, but not for this purpose - and I figured that cable was probably the issue. So I ordered a new cable on amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MQLXUJJ), and when I first got the cable... it worked. Glorious 60Hz. Looked fabulous.

Now,... not so much? For some reason it's refusing to go above 30Hz again. Forcing it in the nvidia control panel using manual config just gets a black screen.

What do?

Oh, it's probably not important, but my other two monitors are both 1080, a 144Hz on DisplayPort and a normal 60Hz on DVI.

hmmmm, it doesnt seem to be an issue with your TV but your graphics card, maybe? Dunno if the 980Ti supports 4k 60Hz via HDMI, but on my 4k 60Hz monitor, despite having a HDMI input, the monitor won't work at more than 4k 30Hz. The only way to use it at 4k 60Hz is via a Displayport cable.

Anyways, imho, TVs aren't recommended for gaming, because of the input lag they have.

edit: only HDMI 2.0 allows for 4k 60Hz, make sure your TV or your GPU supports that.

Also go to Settings--> System --> Display --> Advanced display settings > Display adapter properties for Display > Monitor

https://beta.support.xbox.com/help/hardware-network/display-sound/error-selecting-4k-uhd-resolution maybe this could help, but your cable seems to be high speed, although it says it supports it via HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2

Last edited by a moderator:
Note that the 980ti doesn't have HDCP 2.2 which might be a factor.

....aaaaaaaaaand now it's doing 60Hz again.

o_O

and it's refusing to send audio to the HDMI. Bizarre.

edit: scratch that, I just couldn't select the TV as an audio output via just clicking the icon, I had to open the sound CP.

how about.... when it works 4K@60hz, copy/dump the EDID with CRU. Then restore the EDID when it goes to 30hz.

how about.... when it works 4K@60hz, copy/dump the EDID with CRU. Then restore the EDID when it goes to 30hz.

I understood some of those words! :)

I don't know what EDID and CRU mean hahah

How about a displayport to hdmi adaptor if the tv does have displayport

Gosh the TV having DisplayPort sure would make this easier wouldn't it? Then I wouldn't even need an adapter, I'd just get a DisplayPort cable...

EDID capture utilities can be invaluable tools in troubleshooting display issues with particular monitors and HDTVs. There are several third-party utilities available which are able to read the EDID of your display and allow you to export the data to a file. One of our favorite utilities is Entech's Monitor Asset Manager, due to its ability to capture 256-byte EDIDs (useful for displays which can act as both a PC monitor and an HDTV) and capture real-time connected display information. You may download this utility from the URL below:

https://www.entechtaiwan.com/util/moninfo.shtm

Once you have downloaded Monitor Asset Manager, proceed to install the software. Then open Monitor Asset Manager. On the top left-hand box, look for the display model(s) that are labeled "[Registry-Active]". These are the currently active displays. Select the display for which you wish to read the EDID data. On the right window, you will see the EDID information for your display. If you are asked to provide your display's EDID, copy the text on the right side and paste this into the format you intend to provide this information.

Please note: If you have Microsoft's UAC enabled (Windows Vista or later), you will need to be logged in with Administrator rights to export your monitor's EDID.

Or maybe edit or re install (if its correct) the monitors inf file
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/display/overriding-monitor-edids

ps: CRU
Custom Resolution Utility
https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-Custom-Resolution-Utility-CRU

Last edited:
So, finally "hopefully" fixed whatever NV messed up in their drivers WRT to HDMI out to a 4k HDMI display and having constant periodic "black-outs" after waking up the TV from sleep. ARGH. Although fix is probably not the right terminology, more like a workaround.

Apparently at some point the driver decided that it didn't like my HDMI cable anymore despite the fact that it had been working just fine for over half a year. I'm willing to bet if I go back to one of the old drivers from like 4 or 5 months ago, that all the problems would magically just go away. But I just don't have time to constantly dick around with driver versions anymore.

Anyway, got a new HDMI cable and now it "appears" that the NV drivers are happy again. Crossing my fingers and knocking on wood.

At this point I'm going to just assume that NV F'd up the HDMI handshaking somehow at some point. But ONLY after the PC has been on for a while and ONLY after the display comes out of sleep. If I never let the display go to sleep, the problem never happens with the previous HDMI cable.

That cable that the NV drivers don't "like" is now working just fine and happily connecting an Intel IGP to a 4k HDMI display.

Argh, I just don't understand how people think NV's drivers are actually "good."

Regards,
SB

I'd advise to get an active Displayport -> HDMI 2.0 adapter, like the one from Club3D (though there are cheaper ones on Amazon)
Just don't fall for the hundreds of DP->HDMI adapters that claim 4K when in reality it's just HDMI 1.4 doing 4K30Hz, or passive adapters that won't send the sound signal.

Reminds me of trying to get eyefinty working on my 6950 I had to buy an active displayport to dvi adapter that was compatible (many were not)

So, finally "hopefully" fixed whatever NV messed up in their drivers WRT to HDMI out to a 4k HDMI display and having constant periodic "black-outs" after waking up the TV from sleep. ARGH. Although fix is probably not the right terminology, more like a workaround.

Apparently at some point the driver decided that it didn't like my HDMI cable anymore despite the fact that it had been working just fine for over half a year. I'm willing to bet if I go back to one of the old drivers from like 4 or 5 months ago, that all the problems would magically just go away. But I just don't have time to constantly dick around with driver versions anymore.

Anyway, got a new HDMI cable and now it "appears" that the NV drivers are happy again. Crossing my fingers and knocking on wood.

At this point I'm going to just assume that NV F'd up the HDMI handshaking somehow at some point. But ONLY after the PC has been on for a while and ONLY after the display comes out of sleep. If I never let the display go to sleep, the problem never happens with the previous HDMI cable.

That cable that the NV drivers don't "like" is now working just fine and happily connecting an Intel IGP to a 4k HDMI display.

Argh, I just don't understand how people think NV's drivers are actually "good."

Regards,
SB
I experience those black-outs but I guess it's due to enabling HDR. When I disable it, they don't happen. It seems to be related to manage 2 colour spaces at the same time. However, when it happens I don't know if it's due to nVidia's drivers or the monitor's drivers. Since it never happened to me before, I blame it on the monitor which is anew.

If I never let the display go to sleep, the problem never happens with the previous HDMI cable.

Probably related to the 10+ years old bug where Nvidia can use chroma subsampling if it detects the display as TV, instead of sticking it as what has been set up (RGB or 4:4:4).

That bug also won't trigger if the display stays on / no input switching.

When the TV back on or change input back and forth, Nvidia probably fucked up the hdmi handshake.

Probably related to the 10+ years old bug where Nvidia can use chroma subsampling if it detects the display as TV, instead of sticking it as what has been set up (RGB or 4:4:4).

That bug also won't trigger if the display stays on / no input switching.

When the TV back on or change input back and forth, Nvidia probably fucked up the hdmi handshake.

I have a 1080 and a 1080 Ti connected to HDR 4K TVs and they default to RGB. I think the behavior of drivers did change in the past year or two because I remember having to tweak it before. I think a Windows 10 major update may have had an influence on that too. All those changes for HDR support.

I was playing around with color settings again and now I've set it to YCbCr 4:2:2 10-bit limited range instead of RGB 8-bit. I saw a small but noticeable reduction in banding of a gradient image test. Text doesn't seem to have lost quality.

12-bit is also an option but I couldn't see any benefit in the gradient. Alien Isolation is 10-bit so I just went with that. Was playing it and so deep color was on my mind.

Last edited:
Actually now I'm at 4:4:4 8-bit. Looks like this TV does the best text rendering at that setting. It's better than RGB too. There is some chroma shift around text otherwise, like subsampling even at RGB 8-bit. Maybe its RGB is actually converting to 4:2:2? Interesting.

So for a 10-bit game, 4:2:2 10-bit is probably best, but for the desktop, 4:4:4 8-bit.

It has certainly served me well since I got it, with one exception. For some reason the HDMI output is extremely finicky. On a slightly older 1080p-but-natively-lower TV it had laggy and occasionally flickery output, and some drivers simply wouldn't allow a handshake with the TV at all.

More recently I got a newer and much nicer 4K TV, a Philips 43PFL5602, and while now I definitely don't have any signal issues... I can't get 4K to work at 60Hz. Consistently, anyway.

I was previously using an older 16' HDMI - still am, but not for this purpose - and I figured that cable was probably the issue. So I ordered a new cable on amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MQLXUJJ), and when I first got the cable... it worked. Glorious 60Hz. Looked fabulous.

Now,... not so much? For some reason it's refusing to go above 30Hz again. Forcing it in the nvidia control panel using manual config just gets a black screen.

What do?
If you haven't resolved this you might want to check out Dr HDMI 4K. Not certain it will resolve your problem but worth a look. The company is in Taiwan but do sell products on Amazon.
https://www.hdfury.com/product/dr-hdmi-4k/

btw how about booting into ubuntu and use the proprietary nvidia driver, and test can it run on 4K60. If it can, and no issue.... there's probably a bug on windows driver. If you post it on nvidia forum and it got traction, nvidia may fix it.

Back