Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will RDNA 2 still be named Navi? Or is it expected to have another name ? ie Polaris/Vega all the same family

As soon as someone leaks an accurate form factor of PS5, we should be able to get a clear picture of the TF count. If it's anything like the V devkit in size then it's 12TF+, a plain rectangular DVD box in size would mean a 9TF nightmare.
Form factor is the key.

Yup. X1X proved that being most powerful wont win if your base console is weaker. I said it along, the biggest minefield (and also possible opportunity) for MS is Lockhart. They could end up with 4TF base, 12TF Pro, and 9TF PS4 beating them all. Just like this gen MS had 1.3TF base, 6TF Pro, and 1.8TF PS4 emerging the winner.

Proved? The X1X came 4 years later so what should it really "win" here market share wise anymore. The baseline of a modern console isn't really defined by TF because the resolution/effects are highly scalable but by the CPU's power. As if that's any different to PCs with different target specs.

Mark Cerny seems like the guy that used to put emphasis on the CUs back when he was "designing" the PS4. He pointed that they are far more significant. So I wonder if the emphasis continues to be as strong this time. Strong enough to request an increase.

As soon as someone leaks an accurate form factor of PS5, we should be able to get a clear picture of the TF count.

Knowing specs just by looking at the box? It could be an indication but it wont mean definitive specs.
Also why is 9TF a nightmare, you must have had too high expectations.

Knowing specs just by looking at the box? It could be an indication but it wont mean definitive specs.
Also why is 9TF a nightmare, you must have had too high expectations.
Yeah I never said we'll get down to the exact figures now did I? By end of 2020 9.2 TF is pretty much low end, so yeah I expect things to be a bit more rosier.

Yeah I never said we'll get down to the exact figures now did I? By end of 2020 9.2 TF is pretty much low end, so yeah I expect things to be a bit more rosier.

Compared to PC gpu's, yes. Not compared to the competition (XSX, switch 2). The reason i would buy a PS5 is for it's exclusives, which i won't be able to experience on anything else. Offcourse that is if they don't land on pc after 3 years which i can wait for, but that is still unsure.

I really don't think you should be looking at this at such a basic level...really, PS5 games will look awesome.

I really don't think you should be looking at this at such a basic level...really, PS5 games will look awesome.

They will, probably all next generation games will look awesome. Even today games look pretty amazing, DFs latest video on id tech 7 goes to show that.

This whole TF obsession is wrongly placed i think.

The latest rumor on alleged Lockhart leak would point to two things :
  1. 256bit bus and 16GB of RAM (in case benchmark report is inaccurately showing memory)
  2. ~7TF GPU
This would either mean :
  1. MS thought having 4TF was too low, and PS5 (at around 9TF) would offer price/perf sweetspot
  2. PS5 is closer to 12-13TF and so offering something around 7TF for 1440p at lower price could do serious damage
  3. Developers were not happy with ~4TF and they always had headroom with Lockhart

By end of 2020 9.2 TF is pretty much low end, so yeah I expect things to be a bit more rosier.
Did you ever do that with previous consoles? Did you look at PS4 and compare it to 680 GTXs and 780 GTXs? Did you consider PS3's ~240 GFLops GPU in relation to the GTX 8800 that launched in the same time-frame? When PS4 launched, November 2013, it had 1.8 TF. In the same month, the 780 Ti launched with 5 TF. PS4 wasn't even half the power of the top end (not even elite end!). If GPUs are hitting 18 TFs end of this year, 9 TFs would be half, which is perfectly in keeping with previous generations AFAICS.

Compared to XSX, that's maybe a 3TF difference, i wouldn't call that a nightmare. Historically consoles have been below PC but never has that been a 'nightmare'. Even the PS2 was below the PC in total gflops but it did MGS2 already in 2001 anyway.

The latest rumor on alleged Lockhart leak would point to two things :
  1. 256bit bus and 16GB of RAM (in case benchmark report is inaccurately showing memory)
  2. ~7TF GPU
This would either mean :
  1. MS thought having 4TF was too low, and PS5 (at around 9TF) would offer price/perf sweetspot
  2. PS5 is closer to 12-13TF and so offering something around 7TF for 1440p at lower price could do serious damage
  3. Developers were not happy with ~4TF and they always had headroom with Lockhart
  4. No-one knows WTH is going on!
Added the 4th point ;)

Did you ever do that with previous consoles? Did you look at PS4 and compare it to 680 GTXs and 780 GTXs? Did you consider PS3's ~240 GFLops GPU in relation to the GTX 8800 that launched in the same time-frame? When PS4 launched, November 2013, it had 1.8 TF. In the same month, the 780 Ti launched with 5 TF. PS4 wasn't even half the power of the top end (not even elite end!). If GPUs are hitting 18 TFs end of this year, 9 TFs would be half, which is perfectly in keeping with previous generations AFAICS.
Consoles have always provided the best bang for buck on performance...just look at what the PS4 can do today, amazing...imagine if PS5 was 'only' 5x the power!

Consoles have always provided the best bang for buck on performance...just look at what the PS4 can do today

That gap has ever been closing though, a comparable PC to a PS4 back in the day wasn't that expensive. Yes look at what the PS4 can do today, the same is true for a pc from that time-era. I was surprised Doom ran so well on a mere GTX760/i5 system, even a tad bit better then the base PS4. I think in general games are being more optimized and scaled these days.

On the other hand, the base consoles are also suffering in some newer titles.

Consoles always used to punch above their weight due to the fixed hardware compared to poorly optimised games on PC. Seems like this advantage has been shrinking with the increasing PC gaming market. PC games seem to be better optimised these days so they're loosing out on that advantage, but if the PS5 has half the GPU power of this years PC cards, as @Shifty Geezer stated, that's a lot better than the PS4 was (1.8TF PS4/5TF 780Ti= 0.36 the power of the new PC card).

I think I'm getting over the TF discussion now. I'm pretty convinced XSX will be 12TF and PS5 9-10TF. What I want to see now is the PS5 form factor to compare with the XSX tower and I really want to know about the cooling solutions of both. I think they're both going to have amazing looking games and I'm hoping they don't sound like jet engines when running them!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back