Need Advice from Architects (ryzen build)

Davros

Legend
Apparently The Sanctified Seven TeraBytes of Gaming Goodness being an i5-2400 is now
classed as an ancient religious monument and while age does command a certain amount of reverence it is nice to have a shiny new altar to worship the gaming gods from.

This is what I'm thinking
0rekDEL.png

I originally chose a different psu but then I discovered that x570 boards generally need An Atx 24pin 12v plug
An Eps 8pin 12v power plus either an additional Eps 4pin (or 8pin) 12v power and most psu's do not have the additional Eps plug.
I wanted ram that ran at 3200mhz but I opted for the more expensive 3600mhz because I figured 3600mhz ram was more likely to hit 3200.

I havnt listed a graphics card because I'm not sure yet but I'm leaning towards a RTX2060

Just be aware that is a 5400 RPM SMR drive.

Read speed will be similar to 5400 RPM drives using PMR, but write speeds will be very slow if you attempt to copy more than a few files (more than the drive can cache before it actually has to write the data to disk).

Regards,
SB

Thanks I'm going to be copying 7Tb of games onto it I guess I'll find out ;) but I really need the size more than anything. Modern cases are providing only 2 or 3 3.5" bays
plus anything speed critical will go on either nvme or sata ssd

edit: Typed seagate barracuda 8tb review into google and found this :
Here are our results: Its performance, while not as fast as the 7200 RPM WD Black 6TB HDD, is still quite impressive for a drive running at only 5400 RPM. The BarraCuda 8TB is noticeably faster than the 4TB drive and easily reaches its rated speed of 190 MB/s in CrystalDiskMark.

Last edited:
Writing sequentially is perfectly fine with SMR. It's when the writes and updates are random, as in random sectors all over the place. I never had my 8TB Seagate SMR drives slow down even when migrating 4TB at a time of movies and tv series with metadata info from my old HGST drives. I think it has a PMR section that's quite a few GBs, like maybe 10 or 30?

The problem only shows up when it can't write an entire SMR section.

Thanks It's actually called StoreMI, there is also a better version called fuzedrive thats $20 or $30 (they claim doom loads 20% faster)
https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/store-mi
https://www.enmotus.com/amd

There's also amd ramdisk
http://www.radeonramdisk.com/software_downloads.php

Dav!
You know that I am a magnet for bugs right?

After been using StoreMI for around a month
  1. It have HORRIBLE data quality resilience (it already corrupts things that i used all the time: Destiny 2, photoshop. Dunno what else). Googling around https://www.google.com/search?q=amd+storemi+corruption its quite widespread.
  2. It have issues with sleep/hibernate or prolonged uptime https://www.google.com/search?q=storemi+standby in my case, from a month of use, it stuck in standby/hibernate 3 times, and the system become weirdly slow (opening explorer slow, opening word fast) when its uptime goes almost a week.
so... I think its way better to simply use NVME as boot drive and manually move most-used games to that disk. You can use SYMLINK to make steam, etc thinks the game was not moved between disks. (seriosly no one made an app for automating this yet?)

I'm thinking RTX 2060 can anyone offer reasons why I should opt for a similarly priced amd card ?

Uh... Maybe... If you use HDTV as monitor and want to avoid 10+ years old Nvidia bug...

Otherwise rtx 2060 should be good.

As currently even with 1660 super, with no tensor core, I already can play CONTROL @30fps with Ray tracing (looks really awesome in the nemesis world or whatever it was)

EDIT:
ALMOST FORGOT!

Nvidia Turing (gtx 1660 super, all rtx) have NVENC bug where the recording could stutter. Invisible to most people tho, at least according to the various posts on Nvidia forum and on reddit I've read (filled with people not seeing the issue).

Its supposedly to have been fixed in 2019. But in reality, it still can surface for some people (e.g. The infamous orangpelupa).

This could become an issue or no issue depending on your use case.

1. Do you often Livestream?
2. So you use ALVR for oculus quest wireless PCVR?
3. Do you like to archive your gameplay video?

If none of those are important. The nvenc bug won't be an issue. As it doesn't occur at all for non-real-time stuff.

So you still can use NVENC to accelerate non real-time video encoding. Including transcoding on the fly.

Last edited:
Dont do any of those..
funnny enough Ive seen a lot of people complaining about amd navi cards

Last edited:
Interesting about the NAVI complaints, one of the YouTube channels mentioned issues but said they hadn't experienced any. Maybe people not clearing out their drivers?

I got one for my Son for Christmas (XFX 5700XT THICC Ultra) and it's fantastic. I had watched a few videos on the fan issue (Gamers Nexus and Hardware Unboxed) but once you set a fan curve in the drivers it's fine. Didn't even need to flash the VBIOS.

It's a great card, especially for the price, £370 IIRC.

First off
ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I had to do that.

As some of you know I do not own a credit card, but my mother does have a debit card
and someone told me that you could use them online. So I decided to try, I went to my mothers bank and deposited some money. Then I set up an account with overclockers and ordered a Lian Li case, entered the card details and got a message "there has been an error" so I tried again (maybe I had typed something wrong) and this time it worked.
The next day the case arrived.
Then I went back to the bank and deposited all the money I would need, I waited a
couple of days and checked at a cash machine that the money was in.
I just ordered the hdd's as the debit card may have a limit and I didnt want to hit it
this time though when checking the card I got a message from santander saying "we have sent a otc (one time code) to your mobile you need to enter it here, except the bank have no phone details of my mothers or me.
I checked online and found out I have to go to the banks web site and set up online banking
I typed in the details including a mobile number because the bank website needed to send another code to the phone, except it wouldnt send the code I tried about 10 times used a different mobile used 3 different browsers (because advice online said it could be an ad blocker preventing the code being sent use internet explorer) No luck I was F***ked.

But The Gaming Gods did take pity on Davros
And it came to pass that Davros was taken from this place
to another place. Where he was lain upon pillows of silk and made
to rest himself amongst sheets of muslin and velvet.

And there stroked was he by maidens of the Orient.

For sixteen days and nights stroked they him, yea verily and
caressed him. His hair, ruffled they. And their fingers rubbethed
they in oil of olives, and runneth them across all parts of his body
for as much as to soothe him.

And the soles of his feet licked they. And the upper parts of
his thigh did they anoint with the balm of forbidden trees.

And with the teeth of their mouths, nibbleth they the pointed
bits at the top of his ears. Yea verily, and did their tongues thereof
make themselves acquainted with his most secret places.

For fifteen days and nights did Davros withstand these maidens. But on the
16th day he cried out, saying:

'This is fantastic! Oh, this is terrific!!'

And the Gaming Gods did hear the cry of Davros. And verily came they down
and slew the maidens. And caused their cottonwool bugs to blow away,
and their Kleenex to be laid waste utterly.

And Davros, in his anguish, cried out that the Gaming Gods were a gang of rotten
bastards.

And the Gaming Gods sent an angel to comfort Davros for the weekend.
And entered they together the jaccuzzi.'

Oh wait wrong story.....

But The Gaming Gods did take pity on Davros
and they told him he should embark on a Holy Pilgrimage to seek building materials for an altar. I phoned overclockers and said "can i turn up at your premesis and buy stuff with cash" no problem they replied.
Praise be to the Gaming Gods for art they not wise in all things..
so I went back to the bank and withdrew my money.
Then I began my epic pilgrimage involving a bus, 2 trains and a taxi (and the same on the return) I was lucky I did manage to order the case as the box is huge, weighs a ton and I would have never been able to carry it.

The Altar has been constructed

Taken with my old as the hills hp photosmart camera that will only work with duracell batteries
I'm going through my Red Phase
BRXQMSO.jpg

I was told the correct memory speed for the 3800x is 3200mhz, but I bought the more expensive 3600mhz ram since i thought it was more likely to be able to hit 3200mhz than 3200mhz memory
Forget what it runs at stock but when I select xmp profile 1 it runs at ‭3592.8‬mhz (cant really complain about a missing 7.2mhz)
Now rant mode
When installing the heatsink there is a lever you have to move from left to right to clamp the heatsink onto the cpu I really thought it was going to snap in two I had to use that much force.
Second the AMD Wraith Prism is loud this may be partly my fault as it has a switch on it that says "low-high" I moved it from low (the default) to high.
when the p.c is idle I cant hear it but under load its loud. I cut and pasted a shortcut from 1 folder to another and I hear "woosh" as the fan spins up for a second or two
I may decide to go for an aio (all in one) water cooler. The problem is the stock hsf looks bloody fantastic (pun intended)
I dont know if my temps are normal
This was taken when I had opera minimised on youtubes front page but not playing any video's and the epic game launcher downloading and installing borderlands 3
IiaTPrl.jpg

7Qw7f27.jpg

CPU : 60 c
FAN RPM : 3342

rant 3 : it keeps resetting the colour of my illuminated keyboard back to blue.

Last edited:
Your heatsink can't mounted correctly. Remove it, clean the paste, apply new 3rd party paste and reinstall the cooler.

Back