Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think they mean that jumps in graphics between generation aren't what they used to be. You don't have to be a developer to reason that.

Simpliest answer is that theory was entirely bullshit.

I think there's some truth to it, but not in the way it's been presented to us. MS will obviously have had significant involvement in AMD GPU's by virtue of DirectX and Windows drivers. Sony may simply have become more directly involved for Navi than they could possibly have been with GCN.

This news of increased collaboration has then passed through a few idiots and reached us as "AMD designing Navi for Sony" when that was never the case. They were just talking to one of their big clients in greater detail than before.

I think they mean that jumps in graphics between generation aren't what they used to be. You don't have to be a developer to reason that.
There are many reasons for this. The majority of console gamers are coming from a 1080p machine to one that will do native, or near-native 4K. The increased burden there alone can eat up a lot of the compute gains. On top of that, per-pixel detail is harder to see on 4K, so you're in the land of diminishing returns when it comes to increasing graphical fidelity. Finally, there will be an expectation of increased framerates, which while part of the graphical experience overall, doesn't increase the detail on a per-frame basis. Fancy bullshots won't see the big gains some might hope for. The increased fidelity of HDR can be hard to convey in screenshots as well.

Yes seems that the problem with pixel increase is that it grows exponentially and hence the performance demands to reach said resolution eat up more and more, whereas the hardware advancements in general are not growing at the same rate. Its like a pot with a hole that gets bigger every 6-7 years, leaking water but the amount of water being able to pour in to keep it full does not increase as much

The guy that created this...

sword-of-the-necromancer-image-3.jpg

...is the 'developer warning against high expectations'? Clearly a man what knows talking from the bleeding edge of pushing consoles...

To be honest, though, he's probably right if you consider average graphics - indie pixel-art will still drag the average down. This gen's average graphics quality is no better than last gen when you consider 2016 saw...

maxresdefault.jpg

...followed by this in 2018...

large.jpg

We just don't have the tech jumps like before, it's all rather logical. Resolution increase is a given if you come from base hardware.

It's an indie with no real basis for his remark (whether true or not), coupled with a second link repeating the same story. I'm not sure why you linked them both. Posting two links to the same quote adds weight to it? Must be true of the whole internet is parroting the same one line?

Do you really expect Sony devs to say 'we can't deliver the jumps we have had in the past?' There's no attacking on PlayStation here, the same problem exists on Xbox, or let's say all platoforms, even with a slight difference in TF numbers. RT and SSD are the new things now, maybe some CPU related tasks too. RT isn't going to change graphics that much.

We just don't have the tech jumps like before, it's all rather logical.
Even if we get offline render quality during next gen, the jump from PacMan to Uncharted just feels larger in comparison. But that's the only 'wall' there is.

Currently all my expectations go towards Sony. MS seems to have other priorities than to push gfx, otherwise they would not enforce multi gen for two years.
Sony in contrast can fully push RT, making it a base feature. If it's fast enough this can make a big difference and drop jaws. Support for area lights everywhere already changes everything.
Let's see if they can make an advantage at launch already, but could take some time as well...

If only all those Indie 8-bit pixel art developers could jump to 32-bit pixel...

Reactions: JPT
Do you really expect Sony devs to say 'we can't deliver the jumps we have had in the past?' There's no attacking on PlayStation here, the same problem exists on Xbox, or let's say all platoforms, even with a slight difference in TF numbers. RT and SSD are the new things now, maybe some CPU related tasks too. RT isn't going to change graphics that much.
Why are you reading Sony into it? Of course we're facing diminishing returns, but we don't know how much or what the next gen machines will be capable of.

The stupid thing here is a reference coming from an indie dev as opposed to a major engine architect or someone at the forefront of realtime rendering or system architect who can talk from a meaningful technical position.

I still see no official information saying xbsx is 12TF.
The latest devkit photo makes me question the theory it's significantly above 200W.

I still see no official information saying xbsx is 12TF.
The latest devkit photo makes me question the theory it's significantly above 200W.
I always maintained 9+ TF is not possible without going well and above of what consoles in past pushed in terms of TDP and form factor. The fact that Arden has 56CUs leads me to think it is in fact 12TF, as anything less (say 9-10TF) would mean they would be going well beyond Navi clock sweet spot and in that case you are simply wasting silicon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back