Oculus Quest | Meta Quest 2

when it connects to a p.c what powers the display (powers as in creates graphics, not supplies current)

In pc mode your pc will run the apps/games. It supports both steam and oculus stores. WMR store I don't know/care about. I mostly get my content from steam as I don't want to get locked into facebook ecosystem.

In other news the latest oculus desktop sw allows raising rendering/streaming resolution for quest via config file. It's great if one has super fast pc.

1. I never though Quest would be this uncomfortable. I stupidly believe Oculus would have tons of experience making VR headsets, so they wont make this kind of mistake
  2. I though the high-res OLED, as high-res as Samsung Odyssey+, will have good enough SDE (nope, SDE in quest is more visible than samsung odyssey+, heck... its more visible than PSVR)
  3. I though the FOV will be about as big as PSVR. Nope, its was waaay narrower
  4. I though God rays were no longer an issue as samsung Odyssey+ also use fresnel lenses. Nopenopenope. God rays is very bad in Quest
If i get a Rift S instead, 1-3 wont be an issue. But due to choosing a Quest, i'm able to enjoy true wireless VR.

The reason the Odyssey+ has less SDE is that they purposely blur the image a bit with their optics. So you get less SDE at the expense of a slightly blurrier image.

Regards,
SB

The reason the Odyssey+ has less SDE is that they purposely blur the image a bit with their optics. So you get less SDE at the expense of a slightly blurrier image.

Regards,
SB

And it works awesome (for my eyes).

Currently oculus quest have more visible SDE than 1080p PSVR :(

Seems to me that the quest is a rift with a standalone mode and eye adjustment
is that a fair assessment ?

yes, but its more like...
Quest is a less comfortable rift with a standalone mode and eye adjustment.

don't be like me thinking "eh, comfort? surely it wont be too bad! Oculus have YEARS of experience"

yes, but its more like...
Quest is a less comfortable rift with a standalone mode and eye adjustment.

don't be like me thinking "eh, comfort? surely it wont be too bad! Oculus have YEARS of experience"

I only have 2 problems related to comfort on the Quest compared to the launch Rift (not the Rift S).
  • The material they use for the faceguard is pretty rough.
    • Solved that with a cheap silicone cover for it. But it shouldn't have been a problem in the first place.
  • Due to the components needed to make it a wireless stand alone device there is noticeably more weight which tends to rest on the cheek bones.
    • Counterweight battery pack in back solves this.
    • Also a head strap attachment solves this.
    • Again this shouldn't have been a problem in the first pace,
That said while the weigh could have been balanced by them putting conponents on he back, I'm kind of glad they didn't. It is surprisingly very comfortable lying back in bed and watching movies and video with it. So I'm quite happy that they went with the strap design.

Another niggle, while the resolution is noticeably better then the launch Rift, I think the optics are worse. That said I think the optics are still better than anything other than the Valve Index. While the Odyssey+ optics reduce SDE, the blur they use to achieve that is something I dislike.

Overall, it's an improvement over the original Rift, but it could have been better.

I stll don't think VR hardware is ready for prime time, but if someone wanted to show off VR, this may be the best way to do it. Purely because you can easily take it anywhere to have someone try it. The physical IPD adjustment also means almost everyone should have a good visual experience. And it is relatively easy to adjust the fit.

But I still wouldn't recommend anyone buying a VR headset yet unless they can try it for 1-2 months first. While some people find enough content to keep them using a VR headset, I know far more people that start off excited, then lose interest after a month or two.

If games was all I was interested in, I'd feel like I wasted a lot of money. For me it's just a way to watch media on a big screen (virtual) without bothering others.

I wish I could also use it for work, but both resolution and long term comfort just aren't there yet.

Regards,
SB

Another niggle, while the resolution is noticeably better then the launch Rift, I think the optics are worse. That said I think the optics are still better than anything other than the Valve Index. While the Odyssey+ optics reduce SDE, the blur they use to achieve that is something I dislik
Yeah the launch rift was really bad.

But compared to "current" VR headset, quest is a downgrade in some aspects

- SDE. PSVR with 1080p have lower SDE than this.
- God rays. Psvr have almost zero God rays. Samsung odyssey+ have minimal
- refresh rate. It's only 72hz and to my eyes, in bright uniform color, it flickers
- low FOV. Lower than PSVR and odyssey+

I don't understand what this really means, but here it is. On the surface it sounds positive but of course we don't know the real numbers and it could be a pr/invester spin to some extent.

During Facebook Q4 2019 earnings call, CFO David Wehner revealed that ‘Other’ revenue growth from Q4 2018 was driven by the company’s room scale standalone VR headset, Oculus Quest.

“Other revenue was $346 million, up 26%. Year-over-year growth was driven by sales of Oculus Quest.”

Additionally, CEO Mark Zuckerberg stated that Quest sales “are stronger than we expected” — a statement he has not made about any other Oculus headset.
https://uploadvr.com/facebook-2019-revenue-oculus-quest/

edit. there seems to be more golden nuggets

In Facebook’s quarterly earnings call yesterday, company CEO Mark Zuckerberg revealed that the Oculus Store had sold nearly $5 million worth of content on Christmas Day alone.

Zuckerberg says in the Q4 2019 earnings call that the Christmas Day boom was an “outlier day,” although it represents what he calls “real volume by any measure” and that it shows the progress the ecosystem is making.
https://www.roadtovr.com/facebook-mark-zuckerberg-christmas-5m-sales-oculus-quest/

Last edited:
I don't understand what this really means, but here it is. On the surface it sounds positive but of course we don't know the real numbers and it could be a pr/invester spin to some extent.

https://uploadvr.com/facebook-2019-revenue-oculus-quest/

edit. there seems to be more golden nuggets

https://www.roadtovr.com/facebook-mark-zuckerberg-christmas-5m-sales-oculus-quest/

Basically confirms that Facebook were caught off guard by the demand for the Oculus Quest in December. IE - much greater demand than they projected based on sales up to that point.

Now, how much that actually was? Hard to say without actual data. I'm going to guess Valve announcing Half-Life: Alix was a key driver combined with people giving gifts for Christmas.

What remains to be seen is if sales are consistently higher now, or if they drop back to pre-Christmas/pre-HL: Alix announcement levels. Of course, without numbers, it's always going to be difficult.

If Amazon is anything to go by, it's at least encouraging that demand is still high relative to supply as the Oculus Quest remains in limited supply. IE - while you can get it again, the expected wait is about 1-2 weeks versus 1-2 days if Amazon could keep it in stock.

Regards,
SB

Finally got around to configuring oculus link to use higher resolution. I feel like it makes visible difference to resolution used and hence also the screen door effect is less. i.e. less large areas of same color where it's super easy to spot screen door effect. I might be mistaken/plasebo/... as I didn't try to quantify this in any other way than how the picture quality to me looks like subjectively.

The configuration can be done with .../Oculus/Support/OculusDebugTool.exe. Go to oculus link sub section and use Low for distortion curvature and 2912 for encode resolution width. Works great with my 1080ti.

Finally got around to configuring oculus link to use higher resolution. I feel like it makes visible difference to resolution used and hence also the screen door effect is less. i.e. less large areas of same color where it's super easy to spot screen door effect. I might be mistaken/plasebo/... as I didn't try to quantify this in any other way than how the picture quality to me looks like subjectively.

The configuration can be done with .../Oculus/Support/OculusDebugTool.exe. Go to oculus link sub section and use Low for distortion curvature and 2912 for encode resolution width. Works great with my 1080ti.

Just a quick correction here. It's at "...\Oculus\Support\oculus-diagnostics\OculusDebugTool.exe" You left out one sub-folder. :)

Regards,
SB

Also, tried out the BETA finger tracking on the Oculus Quest. Pretty neat and pretty impressive.

I guess there's also a game you can try it out in if you can sideload apps onto your device (easy to do).

https://uploadvr.com/tea-for-god-hand-tracking-quest/

Haven't tried it myself, but reading that I can't help but think how cool it could be if it were paired up with 2-3 "Kinects" with the updated hardware that HoloLens uses so that occlusion of the fingers wouldn't be such a problem.

As work on Kinect also included NN trained prediction of occluded body parts, even when multiple cameras can't directly see an occluded body part, it would still be able to "track" the occluded body part.

Granted for finger tracking, it'd need higher resolution cameras and beefier processing for the NN trained prediction to be as low latency as possible.

IMO, this is just one of many big steps that VR needs to make to become a widespread consumer success.

For example, getting VR headsets down to this size...

https://uploadvr.com/ces-2020-panasonic-vr-hands-on/

If they can also follow through with a wider FOV (the FOV on those prototype goggles is pretty low), it would do wonders to get more people interested. And to top it all off, it has physical IPD adjustment.

I can't believe that in this day and age, manufacturer's are still making and releasing VR headsets without a physical IPD adjustment.

Regards,
SB

Carmack had interesting things to say about hw in last year. The twist was Quest used older off the shelf hw due to the overall complexity of making the first quest level product. He said next version of quest could use latest available soc and that qualcom is happy to integrate custom solutions. Maybe that implies if there is ROI oculus could implement tracking and other functionality as fixed function hw integrated to latest soc from qualcom(or someone else). Whatever oculus does in future they have a solid foundation to continue from.

What's carmack up to nowdays: (old news)

Starting this week, I’m moving to a "Consulting CTO” position with Oculus.
I will still have a voice in the development work, but it will only be consuming a modest slice of my time.
As for what I am going to be doing with the rest of my time: When I think back over everything I have done across games, aerospace, and VR, I have always felt that I had at least a vague “line of sight” to the solutions, even if they were unconventional or unproven. I have sometimes wondered how I would fare with a problem where the solution really isn’t in sight. I decided that I should give it a try before I get too old.
I’m going to work on artificial general intelligence (AGI).

Last edited:
Back