Movie Reviews 2.0

Some also like the Clone Wars animated series.
I'm working my way through The CloneWars season 3 since finishing The Mandalorian. And yes, it is good Star Wars. :yes: I've heard Rebels is good too.

The flaw of the entire saga is that it was never an entire definied saga to begin with, so you have everyone doing their own story for the last 3 films, and each one then trying to follow on from the last one-up the previous director and negate their narrative choices

There, FTFY.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really enjoyed Once upon a time in Hollywood. I thought the characters were plenty interesting myself. I also thought this was probably DiCaprio's best performance yet. For once he didn't scream all the time. Pitt was great as always (hard to believe he'd be the stuntman and not the movie star given his looks). The cinematography, the attention to detail - all glorious. And the ending was a complete riot. Not his best movie, but quality work nonetheless. Make a director's cut with half an hour chopped off and I'd be really happy.

You mean anti-directors cut, this is a Tarantino film, any DrectorCut would be adding time.

Maybe it'd be the Sensible-editor's Cut then.

That said, contrary to popular belief, there are quite a few director's cuts out there which are actually shorter than their theatrical counterparts: Superman II the RIchard Donner Cut , Blade Runner Final Cut, Payback, Blood Simple, ... . Peter Jackson actually considers the theatrical releases of his LotR movies to be the director's cuts. That's why the long versions are called extended cuts.
Loads of director's cuts are mislabled anyways because the directors weren't really involved.

Read the Ars link... I couldn't help but think this sounds like a couple episodes from the DCU Doom Patrol where they're trying to escape after being captured.

Per the official synopsis: "Five young mutants, just discovering their abilities while held in a secret facility against their will, fight to escape their past sins and save themselves." Boone's cited influences include Demon Bear, a major villain in The New Mutants comics, as well as the 1987 slasher film A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors, which features kids in a psychiatric hospital being trained to control their dreams, the better to fight off main monster Freddy Krueger.​

After Joker got a buttload of Oscar nominations I relented & watched it.
I'm not a comic book/super-hero kinda guy so I'd avoided it till now.

It was very good.
Basically stands alone as a psycho-drama (also a genre I normally avoid) about a troubled guy further downtrodden by society/circumstance who finally completely snaps.

Only a few largely incidental references to the Batman universe.

I was surprised to see Joaquin Phoenix as the Joker but since his filmography is full of well played, deeply troubled characters it was actually a very good casting choice despite him being much too old to fit with the Heath Ledger version its ostensibly a prequel to.

After Joker got a buttload of Oscar nominations I relented & watched it.
I'm not a comic book/super-hero kinda guy so I'd avoided it till now.

It was very good.
Basically stands alone as a psycho-drama (also a genre I normally avoid) about a troubled guy further downtrodden by society/circumstance who finally completely snaps.

Only a few largely incidental references to the Batman universe.

I was surprised to see Joaquin Phoenix as the Joker but since his filmography is full of well played, deeply troubled characters it was actually a very good casting choice despite him being much too old to fit with the Heath Ledger version its ostensibly a prequel to.

I skipped it too! Thabks for making me want to try to watch it. Sounds like a good movie

Terminator 2019: Dank feminazi.
Mostly trash.

In attempting to 'feminize' the Terminator franchise they literally destroy the legacy of one of the most iconic feminist characters in movies.

They actually have a scene that goes like this
female super-soldier sent back to save the past: Who are you?
Sarah fucking Connor the she-hero: I'm Sarah fucking Connor the she-hero, you never heard of me?
fsssbtstp: nope, should I? BTW I'm a female super-soldier with a very strong heart! **hint hint** I've been sent back to save the past.
Sarah fucking Connor the she-hero: Sarah Connor, the mother of John Connor, leader of the resistance to Skynet & serial Terminator exterminator!
fsssbtstp: Skynet? John Connor? Nope never heard of them.

Are you fucking kidding me?!
DF1C6B0BA066A2629E3C549B8B8E271DACCB8B3F

Linda Hamilton herself is still bad-ass as ever but the whole plot is about replacing dead kid-John with a whiney biatch who we're supposed to believe becomes the new bestest evar FEMALE leader of the resistance but remains a whiney biatch to the end.
Old-Arnienator, fsssbtstp & Sarah Connor teamup to save the day with whiney biatch contributing little more than a baton pass.

On top of that it suffers from Matrix Sequelitis: no matter how spectacular the scenes of shooting the liquid metal terminator are its boring & pointless because bullets don't do any permanent damage.
The liquid metal thing was cool & amazing back in 1991 but in 2019 after 5 movies + several TV series killing innumerable Terminators I want to see something else.
Actor does an adequate Robert Patrick though & fsssbtstp was ok.

Terminator 2019: Dank feminazi.
Mostly trash.
Watched yesterday and mostly agreed with you. The action sequences in the plane and dam were very impressive though, basically saved the movie for me. Thankfully it wasn't a Michael Bay motion blur/cut fest and the sequences were well setup and executed with excellent effects. Really over the top stuff.

The rest? Just stupid.

yeah the terminator dark blahblah was so weird. I keep waiting for the twist

maybe something like: halfway the movie, you realized that you are saving the bad person. that the woman is the one that makes new-skynet.
there's also the weird sudden story of the dark-skinned army man that suddenly come to help. Why not make him the son of the dark-skinned skynet creator in previous terminator (T2?)

currently terminatror dark blahblah feels like a remake of T2 but with a bunch of story chopped off in the cutting room.

btw i watched joker and... that is dark. indeed. the way they portray the meaningless violence also very spot-on.

Watched Ford vs Ferrari last week. Very entertaining. The racing scenes are good and apparently most (everything?) of it was shot using real cars and not just CGI. Damon and Bale put up a good performance that is entertaining outside the car scenes so even if you don't car about cars its still delivers on the "human drama" front. My wife liked it and she doesn't care about cars at all so that says something. Initially she though the movie would be about comparing Ford's and Ferrari's factories :')

Though I think for authentic racing scenes you are still better off watching McQueen's Le Mans. They actually entered a modified car for filming into the race so a lot of the shots you see in that movie are as real as it gets. Some of the crash scenes look really poor though by today's standards. Grand Prix (1966) is another movie that has good authentic racing scenes in it.

action sequences in the plane and dam were very impressive though
Nope that was just the most senseless flashes & booms.
They swing at each other, they shoot at each other, they all survive unharmed against all odds & physics = Matrix sequelitis.
I almost completely tuned out for that.

They swing at each other, they shoot at each other, they all survive unharmed against all odds & physics = Matrix sequelitis.
lol of course it was ridiculous, I'm simply stating the cinematography and construction of the scenes was excellent IMO.

You guys have got to check out Underwater, fans of Alien, lovercraftian horror and survival movies like The Grey would love it. The last third act of the movie especially really took me by surprise with
that giant Cthulhu esque monster
and you really feel for the main character personal struggle. Only downside is how murky the movie looked the whole time and it's hard to tell what happens in certain scenes.

I'm really intrigued by it. I'm terrified of the ocean and almost everything in it, and for some reason I can't resist media heavily involving it. For example, I had a great time playing Subnautica and almost constantly shitting myself.

I'm really intrigued by it. I'm terrified of the ocean and almost everything in it, and for some reason I can't resist media heavily involving it. For example, I had a great time playing Subnautica and almost constantly shitting myself.
I know that feeling man, the more scary or mysterious something is, the more you are intrigued by it, it is merely our human nature to be such curious creatures, same blood flows in the vein, same weakness :).

I'm terrified of the ocean and almost everything in it, and for some reason I can't resist media heavily involving it.
Do make sure you get a copy of Subnautica some time.
It'll scare the bejesus out of you in a fun way but also the safe areas are nice & therapeutic.

Back