Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are no correlations between how Apple announce and release products and what Sony have done. Do you think Apple would send their product system architect to have some cosy low-key chats with Wired? Please.. :no:

The most successful video game consoles are not in the same league as Apple's least-successful products. It's a different ballpark. Video games remain niche.
But that's what Sony said in 2016, please me is not helping, not that i am a fan of what Sony's marketing of PS5 right now though.

All I’m getting so far is the ability to more readily change the size of memory buffers on the fly. And the ability to compress read or write requests by thread groups to the same memory buffers in an effort to reduce bus pressure.

Is there any detailed resources for how HBCC works? All I’ve ever read is rather simplistic descriptions revolving around memory pages spilling over into system ram.
https://techgage.com/article/a-look-at-amd-radeon-vega-hbcc/

The full HBCC feature is described as using part of the VRAM as a cache and using virtual addressing to map a much larger address space to the main ram or to storage. It's automatic caching. It goes through the driver, and anything related to storage instead of ram would seriously bother the cpu.

But in the case of xbsx, the ram aspect isn't there since it's unified memoey. They say it's using the storage as memory, it could mean they allow more direct control instead of an automatic cache.

I think this because the cost of a miss would be so ridiculous that it makes no sense to use this automatically like a normal cache. HBCC was using dram right behind the pcie bus so it worked. It needs dev control to prefetch the right things at the right time here.

Last edited:
Since I am being accused of using Github and leaked benchmarks (Gonzalo/Flute) too much, I'll post a new insider gem from NeoGAF.

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/next...-leaks-thread.1480978/page-733#post-256662747

Just need to remind you things that i said before for the last time\
GPU: PS5>SeriesX ~10%
RayTracing Accelerators: PS5>X1 (PS5's RT works by using acceleration structures and algorithms much like nVidia's RTX cores)
CPU: SeriesX>PS5 ~ 6%
Memory: PS5>SeriesX for the size and bandwidth
SSD: PS5>SeriesX ~ Over twice as fast (this is the biggest and most noticable difference)
Fan noise (Dev-Kit): SeriesX>PS5 (not as egregious 1x vs. Pro).

BTW it's up to you believe me or not, but things gonna be clear very soon and you will find out who knows and who knows shit.

Bonus?
Remedy and Housemarque have been in Sony's WWS family for a while now!

Techland belongs to MS now!

MOD Edit: altered abbreviations for higher level of discussion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited:
I wonder how they'll handle startup/splash screens with SSD speeds. I assume devs/publishers/middleware companies will still want their logos up front on their software but the platform holders will want a near instant switch to the game. Perhaps just a single, brief screen with all logos in a grid..?

Wow that fake insider is going all in.

But there is so much competition between insiders over there. :LOL:
Its because VG sites pop up with new articles based on their posts every day now. Imagine spending 10 minutes role playing insider and making stuff up on forum, and then watching your favorite video game related sites posting articles referencing your post and yourself as insider.

I think this because the cost of a miss would be so ridiculous that it makes no sense to use this automatically like a normal cache. HBCC was using dram right behind the pcie bus so it worked. It needs dev control to prefetch the right things at the right time here.

The question is, if devs need to manage it, how does it offer any benefit over streaming from storage the way they have to now? The assets are in storage either way and will need to be moved to RAM. Creating an area of fictional RAM doesn't improve the situation in any manner I can see.

That's just not true. More people play video games than don't, and consoles represent a large proportion, nearly 30% by my reckoning (43% of 67%). It's a niche, but a bloody big niche.
"video game consoles". Less then 200m video game consoles are sold each generation. 7Bn people.

Niche.

"video game consoles". Less then 200m video game consoles are sold each generation. 7Bn people.

Niche.

As electronic devices go it's definitely just a fraction of things such as smartphones, TVs, media players, etc.

Heck, discrete GPU shipments dwarf console shipments.

I think where people get confused is when they see how much revenue the entire video game industry (consoles, accessories, games, etc.) generates.

Regards,
SB

Since I am being accused of using Github and leaked benchmarks (Gonzalo/Flute) too much, I'll post a new insider gem from NeoGAF.

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/next...-leaks-thread.1480978/page-733#post-256662747

MOD Edit: altered abbreviations for higher level of discussion.

FWIW, here's what OsirisBlack had to say about those:

The system information lines up with everything that everyone in the gaming media and developers have said. I cannot say anything new about consoles or games until the reveal.

FWIW, here's what OsirisBlack had to say about those:
Does Osiris's info line up with L1 cache being 32kb?

Just wondering has Github ever accurately leaked specs of any other consoles previously?
Github didn't leak any data, it was reckless AMD engineer who had a repo with sensitive internal testing data sitting on his Github. Obviously, as there are 100s of millions of repos on Github, and considering data does not specifically mentioned PS5 or Xbox, it was unearthed for months. Well, I guess Komachi and guys that data mine AMD drivers searched for known codenames and found it.

Wow that fake insider is going all out.

But there is so much competition between insiders over there. :LOL:
It's going to be a bloodbath whatever the reveal...won't be pleasant at all.

Its because VG sites pop up with new articles based on their posts every day now. Imagine spending 10 minutes role playing insider and making stuff up on forum, and then watching your favorite video game related sites posting articles referencing your post and yourself as insider.
Until proven to be a liar...and then forever known as such. Just doesn't make sense.

Niche.
So everything is niche? I think one of the biggest industries in the world which creates so much work and generates so much money cannot surely be niche?

If it's all down to hardware sales, then surely the metric should be how many houses have consoles? I would suggest it's a high percentage.

edit;
https://www.statista.com/statistics/288729/penetration-of-game-consoles-in-great-britain/
https://venturebeat.com/2015/04/14/...nd-4-out-of-5-households-own-a-gaming-device/

Last edited:
A question I have is if hypothetically series x went with the design of upping the wattage and designed a big case to deal with it does it mean the cost for Microsoft went up linearly compared to if Sony designed the PS5 for a smaller form factor and less wattage.

So in other words could the series X only cost a little more or not as much more as you would think because they took the design decision for a bigger box?

A question I have is if hypothetically series x went with the design of upping the wattage and designed a big case to deal with it does it mean the cost for Microsoft went up linearly compared to if Sony designed the PS5 for a smaller form factor and less wattage.

So in other words could the series X only cost a little more or not as much more as you would think because they took the design decision for a bigger box?

I can't understand how something that could have a footprint significantly bigger than PS5 would cost a similar amount to make, ship and store as PS5.

This is what I'm being told, but it makes no sense to me whatsoever.

Materials cost money, weight costs money, space costs money...so a basic rule of thumb would suggest 50% bigger will mean these costs go up at least 25% (figures from my backside - but you get the point!)

Niche.
Wow, I wouldn't have picked you for using nonsense stats. You've selected the world population of individuals which clearly isn't the market for a great deal of things including consoles and the media audience you're talking about, and then picked unit sales for a device that services the whole household. Why not compare the 'Western' market data as you're talking about what should interest the 'Western' media? What proportion of Brit's care for video games such that the BBC will or won't care to cover them? eg. 44% of UK households have a console.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back