Are you disappointed with next-gen consoles for 2020? [XBSX, PS5]

Are you disappointed with next-gen consoles for 2020? (Unrevealed product version)

• Total voters
This sounds like denial more than anything.

To add some context, prior to that a poster had posted a load of gifs of reactions from 'fanbois' at the PS5 reveal, included was gifs implying PS fans happy and MS fans looking nervous to which this poster replied 'pretty much'. Sorry - not got the time to dig out the actual posts.

So the implication is that PS5 is above 10TF.

To add some context, prior to that a poster had posted a load of gifs of reactions from 'fanbois' at the PS5 reveal, included was gifs implying PS fans happy and MS fans looking nervous to which this poster replied 'pretty much'. Sorry - not got the time to dig out the actual posts.

So the implication is that PS5 is above 10TF.
Don't you think the person you saying is a fanboy too?

Don't you think the person you saying is a fanboy too?

Possibly, who knows maybe even likely...but post history (from what I could see) didn't imply that (and he'd not been around for a while, so certainly not an active warrior). I did post it in the baseless rumours and it got moved here.

Possibly, who knows maybe even likely...but post history (from what I could see) didn't imply that (and he'd not been around for a while, so certainly not an active warrior). I did post it in the baseless rumours and it got moved here.

That one flamy post you described is all the history I need, honestly.

If you were to build a PC with a $600 budget using all new parts, it would get you in the ball park of what you can expect from the PS5/X

I really need to start shopping where you do for my next PC because in my experience there's no way in hell you can build a PC equivalent to a Xbox series X for $600 at the end of the year unless there's massive price drops.

That one flamy post you described is all the history I need, honestly.

I wouldn't call it flamy, it is out of context - but essentially lots of people were asking questions so he posted a catch all reply.

I guess we'll find out not soon enough!

Nope, it was quite far behind actually. The 8000 series came even before the PS3, 8800GTX was miles ahead of anything before it.
No, the 8000 series were announced 3 days before the PS3 released, with actual availability for the 8000 series coming up after the PS3 being on the shelves.

Not more powerfull, more advanced perhaps.
More powerful as in higher performing.
Automatic load balancing on unified shader architectures along with support for a more recent set of instructions allowed for Xenos to provide better performance than a X1800XT. It's the same reason why a HD 2600XT / HD 3650 got close to the X1950XTX on late DX9c titles, despite the massive bandwidth and fillrate disadvantage. The HD 3650 in there does 174 GFLOPs while Xenos is rated at 240 GFLOPs.

No, the 8000 series were announced 3 days before the PS3 released, with actual availability for the 8000 series coming up after the PS3 being on the shelves.

They launched about the same time, the PS3 was quite underpowered compared to higher end pc parts of the time.

More powerful as in higher performing.
Automatic load balancing on unified shader architectures along with support for a more recent set of instructions allowed for Xenos to provide better performance than a X1800XT. It's the same reason why a HD 2600XT / HD 3650 got close to the X1950XTX on late DX9c titles, despite the massive bandwidth and fillrate disadvantage. The HD 3650 in there does 174 GFLOPs while Xenos is rated at 240 GFLOPs.

I remember the 360 being closest to a (ballpark) X1800XT, X1900XT was a much faster product overall.

Also, you're blaming the 2008 economical crisis for the low-end parts, but i don't think that's the whole story. The PS5 is going to be a mid-end machine by late 2020/early 2021, compared to what is available.

I remember the 360 being closest to a (ballpark) X1800XT, X1900XT was a much faster product overall.
Yet one look at actual proof like the link I shared tells a different story than what you remember.

Also, you're blaming the 2008 economical crisis for the low-end parts, but i don't think that's the whole story.
Feel free to present a counter-argument.

The PS5 is going to be a mid-end machine by late 2020/early 2021, compared to what is available.
Some people here seem religiously devoted to this (credible) hypothesis, yes.

Yet one look at actual proof like the link I shared tells a different story than what you remember.

Where do we see anything about the X360's GPU in you're link?

Feel free to present a counter-argument.

First time both went with 'off the shelf' X86 hardware, with tech, with that in special GPU's, their die sizes have been growing and growing, more heat and costs, something that doesn't really fit in a console space, not even the mini pc XSX, as a 12TF gpu won't be close to the then highend, it doesn't even now.

Some people here seem religiously devoted to this (credible) hypothesis, yes.

If you want it to be high-end your going to be dissapointed, it won't.

Where do we see anything about the X360's GPU in you're link?
HD 2600 is less powerful than Xenos in throughput but is close to X1950 XTX in late DX9.0c games at ~720p which was gen7's target anyway.

First time both went with 'off the shelf' X86 hardware, with tech, with that in special GPU's, their die sizes have been growing and growing, more heat and costs, something that doesn't really fit in a console space, not even the mini pc XSX

The cylindrical bin Mac Pro is smaller than the SeriesX and it's a 450W computer. That's no excuse.

If you want it to be high-end your going to be dissapointed, it won't.
No, I'm simply open to evaluating several hypotheses until we get official confirmation.

I won't lose sleep if the PS5 turns out 8 TFLOPs with 12GB GDDR6 at 14Gbps. I'm a PC gamer first.

OTOH, the inquisitors chasing down the heretics who dare to think of anything other than The Github Gospel might need to eat a dozen hats if their flawless prophecy doesn't come true.

Keep in mind that Ampere will benefit from a node shrink and nvidia stepping it up since they have competition again. I'd be surprised if a 3070 can't comfortably out pace next gen consoles.

3060 and next gen console is probably where trading of blows will happen.

Back