Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
2 weeks is enough for the media cover, but if in 7 days later we still get nothing about the event, it may not be Feb 5.

Btw too bad Feb 29 is Saturday, if it's workday i can see Sony will choose that date for the event.

Sony going for gold here. In any event, it's quite possible as a few fanboys have suggested (on other forums), Sony doesn't need the media to be successful.
What Sony need is really immaterial, what Sony's investor's want is publicity for Sony. :yep2: This is big business for Sony.

What Sony need is really immaterial, what Sony's investor's want is publicity for Sony. :yep2: This is big business for Sony.
lol I don't doubt. Yea I totally think Sony should do this proper. Not sure what is going on.

Fortnite = fortnight = 2 weeks = Feb 5th. It's a clever play on words, bonus that it's also gaming related.
No, it's "a fortnight" that's two weeks. "In a fortnight" means in two weeks. "In Fortnite" means inside the game. There's no clever word-play here. If it was trying to be clever, it should either say "in a Fortnite" or "in Fortnight" or something. What's written is explicitly a suggestion that the reveal is inside Epic's game with nary a hint at a two-week period.

Don't suppose anyone could explain or provide a link to the "magical memory paging" MS is supposed to have?

Well, i posted about this patent earlier which seems to fit the description pretty well:

This Microsoft patent posted to era by JackAL(which i haven't seen before and don't think has been spread around much judging from google searches) seems to line up with a lot of what the Xbox team has been saying about using SSD as ram, investing in I/O and also with memory paging magic like Tom is describing it: https://patents.google.com/patent/US20190042410A1

Well, i posted about this patent earlier which seems to fit the description pretty well:
I am unable to differentiate this from what amd described as HBCC, except it might have a nicer address translation to the storage. HBCC is handling the shaders fetching a virtual address space, whatever is translating can be anything including a custom raw storage which might not involve the CPU.

That's my understanding so far.

2 weeks is enough for the media cover, but if in 7 days later we still get nothing about the event, it may not be Feb 5.

Yeah, you have no idea of the availability of big media journalists if you want their bylines on the coverage. You don't give big media outlets two week's notice and expect to get coverage unless you are Apple. Big media journalists are king of busy covering tech that sells tens of millions a week/month- not each year. Videogames are niche, old and uninteresting news to most. More people play Monopoly daily!

Yeah, you have no idea of the availability of big media journalists if you want their bylines on the coverage. You don't give big media outlets two week's notice and expect to get coverage unless you are Apple. Big media journalists are king of busy covering tech that sells tens of millions a week/month- not each year. Videogames are niche, old and uninteresting news to most. More people play Monopoly daily!
Thing is, Sony is trying to follow what Apple's doing.
Not saying they won't fail though, but we will see.

I am unable to differentiate this from what amd described as HBCC, except it might have a nicer address translation to the storage. HBCC is handling the shaders fetching a virtual address space, whatever is translating can be anything including a custom raw storage which might not involve the CPU.

Explanation would be appreciated by me as well. In the Tom Warren tweet, someone says it sounds like nothing more than HBCC to which Tom "imagine thinking it's just a HBCC". Not sure if Tom is someone knowledgeable enough to make that statement.

Thing is, Sony is trying to follow what Apple's doing.

There are no correlations between how Apple announce and release products and what Sony have done. Do you think Apple would send their product system architect to have some cosy low-key chats with Wired? Please.. :no:

The most successful video game consoles are not in the same league as Apple's least-successful products. It's a different ballpark. Video games remain niche.

All I’m getting so far is the ability to more readily change the size of memory buffers on the fly. And the ability to compress read or write requests by thread groups to the same memory buffers in an effort to reduce bus pressure.

Is there any detailed resources for how HBCC works? All I’ve ever read is rather simplistic descriptions revolving around memory pages spilling over into system ram.

Last edited:
Well you don't know whether invitations went out last week or not which would make it 3 weeks, or maybe its later, or whatever. Usually these things are the worst kept secret but Sony's playing it real close to the vest this time, we'll see if that works out for them.

Explanation would be appreciated by me as well. In the Tom Warren tweet, someone says it sounds like nothing more than HBCC to which Tom "imagine thinking it's just a HBCC". Not sure if Tom is someone knowledgeable enough to make that statement.

We don't know how much detail was revealed it to him and, FWIW, if you look at the entire thread he doubled down on it when challenged further. That'd be a really bad look if he was wrong. I don't see what the advantage of responding at all would be if what he was was told didn't specifically indicate it was more than just HBCC. I guess we'll find out eventually.

Well you don't know whether invitations went out last week or not which would make it 3 weeks, or maybe its later, or whatever. Usually these things are the worst kept secret but Sony's playing it real close to the vest this time, we'll see if that works out for them.
In 2013, it was publicly known Sony was holding an event in three events - reported at the very end of January. How do you book a venue and invite hundreds of journalists and keep it quiet? You can't. Journalistic channels are too full of lowly-paid interns who don't care about secrecy but wish to cash-in on that cache of perceived secrecy.

The kind of journalists who would keep such confidence would not be those attending because video game consoles are toys. While may have commanded respect and attendance back in the 1990s but not now. In the consumer world, Sony make very little news-worthy products worthy of fielding senior journalists.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back