Advice on laptops, couple major conditions

green.pixel

Veteran
One oldish one, 2013 or so and up, that I can find 2nd hand and that meets these reqs:

15" or 14" matte screen
User controllable fan speed

And the other newish one, same as above but with 1 more condition that it has multiple working modes, especially the one where the keyboard faces down surface it stands on.

I read that those with PWM fans are only controllable? My current Lenovo G line doesn't have it, but the Thinkpads allegedly do so you can use for example tfpfancontrol app.

One oldish one, 2013 or so and up, that I can find 2nd hand and that meets these reqs:

15" or 14" matte screen
User controllable fan speed

And the other newish one, same as above but with 1 more condition that it has multiple working modes, especially the one where the keyboard faces down surface it stands on.

What is your price constraint? Hard to make recommendations without knowing that. Then again I haven't looked at most laptops in a while. But if you can afford it, I can very highly recommend the Surface Book 2 lineup WRT multiple ways to use the display.

I also really REALLY prefer the 3:2 aspect ratio of the screen for doing any sort of work compared to the 16:9 screens of most other laptops. That said, 3:2 ratio screens do exist on some OEM setups as well. I have an Acer Surface clone that has one, for instance.

Regards,
SB

3:2 what res is that ?

In the case of the Surface Book 2...
  • 3000x2000 for the 13" model
  • 3240x2160 for the 15" model
Basically, a bit more widescreen than the old 4:3 and 5:4 aspect ratios but with more usable vertical space than 16:9 or 16:10.

If I could get a desktop display in 3:2, I would do it in a heartbeat.

SB
Regards,

200-400eur for the first one and around 1000 for the second one. Or I could get a seperate tablet instead of the convertible and combine it with the first one.

I've been told to avoid HP due to their quality control issues.

Which Acer Surface clone is that SB?

200-400eur for the first one and around 1000 for the second one. Or I could get a seperate tablet instead of the convertible and combine it with the first one.

I've been told to avoid HP due to their quality control issues.

Which Acer Surface clone is that SB?

It was the Acer Switch Alpha 12. It came with a Core-i5 w/128 GB SSD for about 600 USD. Really affordable but battery life wasn't that great. This was back in 2017. I don't think Acer makes it anymore.

Regards,
SB

I'm looking at getting a laptop mainly for work when I'm travelling. I need Windows 10 & Office and a largish display and it's a plus if it's good for gaming (I have an XSX console, but it might not be realistic for me to match those capabilities). I'd also like it to be as light and thin as possible. Any advice? Impossible request? Thanks in advance.

I did a little more research.

What do you guys think of the Surface Book 3 ? I like that you can detach the screen so that it's a tablet as well. Seems roughly on par with a Xbox Series S for the occasional time I want to game on it while travelling...

Back