Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a very limited venue in real terms. You reach a subset of the public, who happen to be playing at that time, versus the entire internet who can tune in at a moment's notice on any device, and who can catch-up any time during the rest of the day.

It would attract people to play at that time. You only have to look at how the PS5 logo trended.

It does preclude the YouTube/Twitch streaming as well.

Always a good time to post:
NYE in NY, world's #1 fortnite streamer does the fortnite floss dance. The crowds just DGAF. And yet I guess some of the crowd might be interested in a PS5 reveal.

Not sure I'm buying this as more than a joke from Zhuge but, how do you reveal things "in" fortnight? Like does it play a video or something?

If so it's likely we'd get nothing of significant info on tech specs at all. Which more and more I'm becoming convinced of. We could instead get the reveal of the form factor.

I dunno, fortnight doesn't seem to quite be the hot commodity it used to, though still popular, and also skews to a very young demographic.
Fortnite = fortnight = 2 weeks = Feb 5th. It's a clever play on words, bonus that it's also gaming related. It was all but expected that something was going to come up now to tell us the date whether it was someone using a burner account or some kind of clever hint. I didn't get it at first either.

Sony announced PS meeting 2013 at Jan 31 2013, the meeting happened in Feb 20.
Wonder did Sony plan to announce this year's PS5 event soon or it will be later than Feb 5.

Btw who is Osiris? serious question.

I’m somewhat wondering if instead the plan might be 2x2GB for up to 2 x 1TB internal storage, with expansion for 1TB (3rd DRAM being farther).

It could be an interesting option, but given how the dedicated DDR3 memory worked so well for both the PS4 models (increasing the southbridge-driven DDR3 from 256MB to 1GB allowed Sony to increase the framebuffer from the GDDR5 by 512MB), I think they'll still have some cheap dedicated memory for non-critical processes.

Rumors: Sony has acquired both Remedy and Housemarque. *add salt where needed*

Remedy is thinly traded and no movement at all today and it wouldn’t take much to make it pop. it’s market cap is around $150M.

did Sony really sign an agreement to buy Remedy for $200M? That is such a bad purchase. They have revenue of $20M. You could pay each developer there 3 times their annual salary ($15M per year) in a bonus and get the whole studio cheaper.

It’s not like they have a bunch of powerful IP.

This isn't necessarily always true.

I’ve taken a company private before. The way it will work is that the purchaser will negotiate a merger agreement to acquire the asset with closing conditioned on the proxy vote.

Signed agreement announced and proxy vote setup for approval.

shareholders vote and approve or turn down the agreement. If price is enough of a premium it is rarely turned down

As I said, purchasing Remedy for $200M is a terrible investment. Just buy the full dev team for cheaper.

The PS5 Fortnite reveal is something I would have pegged more on Microsoft with Ninja & Mixer. You know he's going to be involved somehow.

Tommy McClain

The PS5 Fortnite reveal is something I would have pegged more on Microsoft with Ninja & Mixer. You know he's going to be involved somehow.

Tommy McClain

It might have been a wordplay, where it really means fortnight, meaning 2 weeks. OsirisBlack wrote the same thing IIRC.
2 weeks after January 22 is.. again, February 5.

Today, known leaker Tidux (who's been leaking new features on PS4 firmware updates for years, always on point) posted this:

13 days after today is February 5.

Also, Sony Square NYC's 25 years of play celebration ends February 5:

FeI3LgA.jpg

February 5 was first mentioned in the 4chan leak, IIRC.
The same leak who claimed the announcement event would be on NYC Sony Hall.

Last edited by a moderator:
The most intersting for me personally was learning that fortnight is an actual word and that it means two weeks. I'm filing it under "cool words for peculiarly specific things that I don't even understand why they came to be in the first place"

Feb 5th has been mentionned in multiple predictions by journalists long before the 4chan "leak" (kindafunny and beyond I think were the first?). It was literally the most rational prediction: a wednesday and with enough room to breath before GDC.

They might not unveil ps5 there, it could be the 12th or 19th.

Jan 29th is also a wednesday. Sony loves wednesdays.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back