Next Generation Hardware Speculation with a Technical Spin [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
But they do, "What this design does, with the size of the fan that we built around, is it lets us match how quiet the Xbox One X is with all that power inside of the box."" Phill Spencer
Cool then, and i wouldn't worry about heat issue of this design.
Now we wait for the detailed specs:D

Looks like a cylindrical foot, not a curved bottom.
Hmmm, that doesn't make a great deal of sense. It'll raise it a few mm's off the surface but you won't get much more intake as only the corners outside that circle could be used. In which case why not just sit it flush?

You're right though. Seen in these two images...

960x0.jpg

WCCFxboxseriesx1.jpg

Possibly, it's not a complete circle allowing some airflow out the gap. I can't see it realistically being viable for airflow this way though. You'll still get very different results from any airholes on that base between vertical and horizontal positioning.

According to DSoup who had multiple, it's not quiet. We also know there aren't that sort of arrangement of holes - the base is flat with a round foot. That means holes can either be inside the circle and outside in the corners of the square, or just in the corners of the square.

The actual air-holes in that prototype are really limited - 50% are blocked. There's far less area then the X1X. :???: Maybe it is just a prototype and noisy to boot?

Vents on the cylindrical foot or corners of the base not covered by the foot in addition to the rear vents sound good if you're standing your console on a firm surface. With my setup, it won't fit on my TV stand horizontally (narrow shelves) and there's no space at the side to stand it vertically. Only place for it is to pull the TV stand forwards slightly and hide it round the back. This means it's going to be sitting on carpet. Christ knows how much dust and carpet fluff will be sucked up into the console and over time it'll sink down into the carpet blocking any vents on the cylindrical foot. Rear vents ftw as far as I'm concerned.

According to DSoup who had multiple, it's not quiet. We also know there aren't that sort of arrangement of holes - the base is flat with a round foot. That means holes can either be inside the circle and outside in the corners of the square, or just in the corners of the square.

The actual air-holes in that prototype are really limited - 50% are blocked. There's far less area then the X1X. :???: Maybe it is just a prototype and noisy to boot?
I have one at work and, unless I'm hammering it really hard, it's dead silent. And even then it's an audible but not very objectionable low pitched hum.

As long as the circle isn't tangential to the perimeter of the base, you can have this arrangement and even better, because you can extend corner holes further.

Noise is one of the few things I'd be confident in saying MS will make sure is under control.

Yes, which is why we feel comfortable making estimates about the power of the console based on the intake vents.

There are basic limits to how well you can cool when aircooling things. Assuming that you are not doing anything stupid, to a first approximation the maximum cooling potential is linear to the amount of air you push through, while the amount of noise you make is linear to the amount of air and the speed of the air.

This means that to provide the same amount of cooling, you have the options of moving air fast through a relatively small opening, which makes a lot of noise, or moving air slowly through a larger opening, producing less noise. There are ways you can fail and make more noise for less cooling if you make really bad choices, but there are no methods of magically pulling more cooling from the same airflow. The state of the art is simply too close to physical limits.

This is the reason why the second MS published the first picture of the XBSX, all the technically minded doubters started believing that 12TF can be real. Providing quiet cooling is a real challenge to something in a form factor of a more traditional console, while the upright box/funnel gives the option of putting a single 140mm (or maybe even bigger!) fan at the top, with a large, thin-finned heatsink directly below it. Add lots of openings somewhere at the bottom of the console and a relatively unobstructed path for air through it, and you have a perfect example of a system moving a lot of air through large opening at relatively low speed, allowing for both substantial cooling and low noise.

The reason the picture of the back of the console raises all kinds of questions is that the amount of vents for air intake seems smaller than ideal, especially since parts of it seem quite obstructed. Ideally, you'd want holes ~as large as the exhaust vent at the top of the console. This is why we're speculating that there are probably additional intakes somewhere. (Maybe around the perimeter at the very bottom?)

Last edited by a moderator:

I mean, it does look like it could be a CFX format slot ... and the SSD revealed to be part of the Scarlett plan - PS5019-E19 - does apparently come in CFX form. So that was my guess as to its purpose.

Having such an easily changeable drive could be useful if MS intend to allow devs full write control over the device and the ability to use it as virtual memory. Eventually that flash is going to wear, and MS are still very happily taking Xbox Live subs from 360 owners who purchased machines well over a decade ago. Plus, more space = more gorging on Gamepass = more sustained subscriptions.

Also, with the serial number out in public, MS are going to be able to work out who that Xpube belongs to. Someone's kid is about to get a paddlin'.

Looks like a cylindrical foot, not a curved bottom.

I think it looks more like a curved plastic bar and it (this devkit) will not stand up, nor can it be wedged flush to a wall / rack.

The perspective just seems wrong if your proposing a 1 cm deep round stand. Also given the absolute linear design I am not sure why you would have a token round stand. It could be square, or 4 smaller feet.

Edit:
The official pics show the base is nearly as wide as the console and very very shallow, in fact I did not notice it until now. Would this appear as obvious as the photo here and taper off as quickly at an angle, especially assuming it goes almost to either side?

Any 3d artists here who are good with perspective? Seems a basic shape to knock up to prove or disprove the stand theory

Last edited:
I think you'll find that's basically an optical illusion as caught me out. There are no perspective cues as the box is shot flat on against a flat background. The natural interpretation is then something somewhat orthogonal or telephoto. A phone is typically wide-angle though. I just put a round tea-coaster on top of my vertically-stood Xbox and viewed it through the mobile, and it's exactly like this image, a curved bump.

image1.jpg

When you look at the other images, it's very clearly a circular base that reaches pretty much side to side.

With the port placement in the middle, does that suggest that the most likely motherboard placement is in the middle as well, offset to the power/bluray side? Seems odd to stick ports on a daughterboard in that position.

That would mean the fan/cooler is similar to the OneX, upside down under the bluray, if the system is horizonal.

With the port placement in the middle, does that suggest that the most likely motherboard placement is in the middle as well, offset to the power/bluray side? Seems odd to stick ports on a daughterboard in that position.

That would mean the fan/cooler is similar to the OneX, upside down under the bluray, if the system is horizonal.

Looks like it might be a big 12+ cm axial fan at one end, with additional cooling on the "back" side of an inverted mobo.

You could use a small sink on the opposite side of the board to where the package is mounted, and use heatpipes to extend the main cooler round the back end too, in a kind of U shape.

Might even be able to mount the dram on the other side of the mobo and give it it's own cooling, to take pressure off the cooler for the APU, though I doubt it.

Looks like it might be a big 12+ cm axial fan at one end, with additional cooling on the "back" side of an inverted mobo.

You could use a small sink on the opposite side of the board to where the package is mounted, and use heatpipes to extend the main cooler round the back end too, in a kind of U shape.

Might even be able to mount the dram on the other side of the mobo and give it it's own cooling, to take pressure off the cooler for the APU, though I doubt it.

I was stupidly thinking that the bluray was at the top. The U shaped cooler and maximum fan venting across the whole box width makes sense, I think.

The fan might, perversely, be very similar to the big dumb fan they used in the XBone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back