Sony VR Headset/Project Morpheus/PlayStation VR

Uh just played Beat Saber on PSVR again right after on Quest.

YEEEESH

1. The SDE is less prevalent in PSVR despite only 1080p
2. The tracking on PSVR is SUPERB
3. PSVR is bloody comfortable
4. PSVR facial interface super easy to clean

i think im selling my Quest (only been used less than a week!)

PSVR sounds really good! I'll probably jump into ps5 and get the psvr2 when it gets launched. That said, I do like my quest despite flaws it has. The content from oculus store that runs native on quest is better than using pc content via oculus link. Hopefully his will even out over time as games get optimized for quest/inside out tracking.

I can't imagine playing any reflex/action games over oculus link. Additional latency as small as it is makes that a no go for me.

I wonder if there are 3rdparty headstraps for quest that would help evening out the front heavyness,...

PSVR sounds really good! I'll probably jump into ps5 and get the psvr2 when it gets launched. That said, I do like my quest despite flaws it has. The content from oculus store that runs native on quest is better than using pc content via oculus link. Hopefully his will even out over time as games get optimized for quest/inside out tracking.

I can't imagine playing any reflex/action games over oculus link. Additional latency as small as it is makes that a no go for me.

I wonder if there are 3rdparty headstraps for quest that would help evening out the front heavyness,...

I can't use link due to usb 2, but on ALVR there's an option to turn on controller prediction. It makes the controllers feels as responsive as PSVR when playing PCVR (tested on beat Saber). Just don't stare at the controllers.

Maybe there's an option like that on link?

Anyway, already packed the quest and took a bunch of photos. I've also washed the facial interface, hopefully it will dry tomorrow early morning before I fly to remote location.

Last edited:
I can't use link due to usb 2, but on ALVR there's an option to turn on controller prediction. It makes the controllers feels as responsive as PSVR when playing PCVR (tested on beat Saber). Just don't stare at the controllers.

Maybe there's an option like that on link?

Anyway, already packed the quest and took a bunch of photos. I've also washed the facial interface, hopefully it will dry tomorrow early morning before I fly to remote location.

I like native beat saber better on quest than pc version. Quest version is much better optimized for quest controllers than pc version.

I mainly play slow paced games via oculus link and watch videos. Quest youtube/video apps give significantly worse quality than using powerful pc and oculus link.

Hey guys. I picked up a PSVR too. ;) I am using it with a PS4 Pro.

It is interesting to compare to the HP Reverb that I have.

-PSVR OLED produces a lovely dark image, but games appear to use a grey dither, apparently to bring up the brightness and improve OLED dark-image response time.
-the much lower resolution is a bummer, with way lower overall clarity, but the screen door effect is indeed not very apparent.
-FOV seems about the same. Same scuba goggle feel.
-Sweet spot (central in-focus area) seems about the same. I have a 64mm IPD btw so perfect for these things.
-Outside in tracking via the camera bar works surprisingly well. Though the inside-out tracking of the Reverb probably works better overall, as you can move around freely.
-The HP Reverb cable is super thick and heavy in comparison to the PSVR cable. Not simple to deliver that 4320x2160 90Hz resolution.
-Both HMDs fit about the same on my giant head. Which is to say they are snug but I don't feel like my flesh is losing circulation. ;) I was concerned that PSVR might be more for kid size heads.

I've played a good bit of the Until Dawn Rush of Blood demo, The Persistence, and Farpoint so far. I wouldn't say any of them are incredible but perhaps The Persistence is the most interesting. It's a System Shock / Dead Space hybrid.

Farpoint is just repetitive, non-compelling combat with boring cutscenes to observe. Until Dawn as some kind of 'roller coaster of horrors' is not what I was envisioning for that, but it's certainly not boring!

Last edited:
Hey guys. I picked up a PSVR too. ;) I am using it with a PS4 Pro.

It is interesting to compare to the HP Reverb that I have.

-PSVR OLED produces a lovely dark image, but games appear to use a grey dither, apparently to bring up the brightness and improve OLED dark-image response time.
-the much lower resolution is a bummer, with way lower overall clarity, but the screen door effect is indeed not very apparent.
-FOV seems about the same. Same scuba goggle feel.
-Sweet spot (central in-focus area) seems about the same. I have a 64mm IPD btw so perfect for these things.
-Outside in tracking via the camera bar works surprisingly well. Though the inside-out tracking of the Reverb probably works better overall, as you can move around freely.
-The HP Reverb cable is super thick and heavy in comparison to the PSVR cable. Not simple to deliver that 4320x2160 90Hz resolution.
-Both HMDs fit about the same on my giant head. Which is to say they are snug but I don't feel like my flesh is losing circulation. ;) I was concerned that PSVR might be more for kid size heads.

I've played a good bit of the Until Dawn Rush of Blood demo, The Persistence, and Farpoint so far. I wouldn't say any of them are incredible but perhaps The Persistence is the most interesting. It's a System Shock / Dead Space hybrid.

Farpoint is just repetitive, non-compelling combat with boring cutscenes to observe. Until Dawn as some kind of 'roller coaster of horrors' is not what I was envisioning for that, but it's certainly not boring!
Have you tried Jonathan bell vr?

Its free and have really realistic visual.

Play Playroom VR which comes with the PSVR, it looks really good. The platformer level was also turned into a great full sized game, Astrobot: Rescue Mission.

My favorite is still Beat Saber, and some of my guests prefer Superhot VR, though of course both are multiplatform.

Ace Combat 7 has only a separate VR campaign not the full game, but it's amazing, the targetting system and looking around for enemies becomes effortless in VR and it's a game changer for me. You play a few main game campaign getting good, then when you try the VR you really wish the entire game was VR!

The game is great regardless of VR, just too "arcade" for my tastes, I hope there will be a good air combat sim for PSVR2, it's a niche dying genre and deserve a revival with full VR support.

Ace Combat 7 has only a separate VR campaign not the full game, but it's amazing, the targetting system and looking around for enemies becomes effortless in VR and it's a game changer for me. You play a few main game campaign getting good, then when you try the VR you really wish the entire game was VR!

The game is great regardless of VR, just too "arcade" for my tastes, I hope there will be a good air combat sim for PSVR2, it's a niche dying genre and deserve a revival with full VR support.
I'm not sure if you have Elite Dangerous on PSVR, but I think that would be more a combat sim you are looking for? It is space though.

It was dying waiting for a VR version. Now as you say, we need a full game version. Also, a want choppers baby!! Full on Blue Thunder!!

I'm not sure if you have Elite Dangerous on PSVR, but I think that would be more a combat sim you are looking for? It is space though.
Yeah I tried the demo, the zero-G and no atmosphere environment didn't work for me. It kind of defeats the fascination of using potential energy with your altitude and also doing all the fun maneuvers. I don't mind scifi though, as long as there's air, gravity, and control surfaces.

I got it mixed up with EVE Vakyrie which was on the demo disc. Is Elite more sim like?
Yes more sim like. I barfed on my first barrel roll in EVE.

elite is like playing battle star galactica. Ship rotation and Thrust. You can do whacky stuff. But you can get sick really fast.

Yes more sim like. I barfed on my first barrel roll in EVE.

elite is like playing battle star galactica. Ship rotation and Thrust. You can do whacky stuff. But you can get sick really fast.

EVE made me super nauseous, but Ace Combat 7 didnt. I dont know how they did it, but i even can do stall maneuver where the plane basically flips 180, and i feels comfortable doing it.

Now play RE7 for the fear.
Wipeout for the IQ
And if you have SW battlefront, try the free x-wing VR mission.
I'm waiting for RE7 PS4 to be super cheap because I've already played it a ton on PC. It's irritating that the PC version never got an official VR update.

Persistence is creepy and has a fairly interesting setting. Unfortunately it is also irritating and extremely gamey with randomized level generation, respawning and essentially a permadeath mechanic. It's also just too dark. Perpetual disorientation and starting from scratch. Heh. I'm thinking it might be more fun to play on my 4K TV than in VR. It would be easier on the eyes.

Last edited:
You can land on airless moons in Elite with the expansion. They'll do other types of plant one day. It's only been a 5 yr wait so far!
Yup.

It's been very long time from last big change to planets.
They did show very basic cloud tech during kickstarter, so they most likely planned to have atmospheric planets lot sooner..

Back