Next Generation Hardware Speculation with a Technical Spin [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't get too caught up in the exact wording and images used in the video, it's just corporate fluff that shows potential uses, not confirmed ones.

The real info is the Linkedin combined with the Digitimes report from the other day.

But not that much faster now is it? Considering the Xbox is 3.7GB/s, PS5 is probably close to that too.

Also does that mean Xbox will come with a 2TB drive? 3.7GB/s is for the 2TB, the 1TB drive is lower.

Nope faster than 7 GB/s more than double the speed. No the SSD controller is for NAND between 512 GB and 2 TB. I suppose the SSD will be 1 TB.

Technical specification on Phison site

https://www.phison.com/en/solutions/consumer/pc-laptop/pcie/1203-ps5019-e19t

PS5019-E19T
Capacity: 512GB ~ 2TB
Interface: PCIe Gen4x4 NVMe
Sequential Read/Write (up to): 3,600/2,200 MB/s
Random Read/Write (up to): 380,000/500,000 IOPS
Form Factor: CFX, M.2

x6tMAHx.png

I wouldn't get too caught up in the exact wording and images used in the video, it's just corporate fluff that shows potential uses, not confirmed ones.

The real info is the Linkedin combined with the Digitimes report from the other day.
I think it was other Taiwanese source that reported it on 17/01.

Taiwan's economic newspaper "Industry and Commerce News" (January 17, 2020) reported the story of PS5's Taiwan supply chain. According to the supply chain, "the SSD standard in the PS5 will be raised to PCIe Gen4. The order for the controller IC has been acquired by Phison. Shipment will be in the second half of 20 years or later."

The supply chain also said that the SSD in the Xbox Series X game console recently announced by Microsoft will use Phison's PCIe Gen4 compliant controller IC, and said that Phison will ship from the second half of 2020.

http://www.emsodm.com/html/2020/01/21/1579576388125.html

That would be terribly expensive and absolutely uncalled for, 3.7GB/s is an order of magnitude faster than a mechanical driver, I must say Sony going for crazy speed like that would be utter stupidity, the money is better spent on something else.

Like I said the SSD of Sony is SSD speed multiply by compression ratio. They have a sophiscated compression hardware on the SSD probably multiple ASICs. They customized a lot the SSD and were creative.

It is probably less expensive than the Xbox Series X one.

Last edited:
Notice the read/write ratio speed is highest on that specific controller. I suspected the consoles would target high read speeds and de-emphasize the write speeds.
The share/record that feature in 4K means you need some write speeds as well I think

Like I said the SSD of Sony is SSD speed multiply by compression ratio. They have a sophiscated compression hardware on the SSD probably multiple ASICs.They customized a lot the SSD and were creative.

It is probably less expensive than the Xbox Series X one.

I highly doubt custom asics + SSD controller will be cheaper than an industry standard, barebones, controller.

I highly doubt custom asics + SSD controller will be cheaper than an industry standard, barebones, controller.

I have a little more detail about the solution they use and I think it is cheaper. At reveal I suppose they will only give the raw speed maybe but I doubt it the guaranteed latency but wait the surprise when they will open the hardware.

And like I said I will give the speed just before PS5 reveal event. The SSD on Xbox side took a big boost because it was not at all the speed they gave to dev without devkits just having a tech presentation by an Xbox guy and spec sheet.

Unless the die size is significantly bigger, or the process is more expensive, a solution you design yourself and only pay wafer costs for is going to be cheaper than any commercial solution.

With more details, they gave this spec sheet to the dev with a 1 GB/s SSD and they give it to dev last quarter 2019. MS was knowing they will not use this. Out of teams with devkit I doubt the teams knows the final specs of the two consoles.

http://www.jeuxvideo.com/news/10065...eux-prochaines-xbox-devoilees-a-l-e3-2019.htm

EDIT: And only Xbox Series X(Anaconda) no Lockhart spec sheet for the moment.

EDIT2: And for the Sony fanboy, this is really 12 Tflops RDNA as a target.

Last edited:
Unless the die size is significantly bigger, or the process is more expensive, a solution you design yourself and only pay wafer costs for is going to be cheaper than any commercial solution.

Phison E19T is on TSMC 28 nm. What would the custom Sony designed ASICs be on?

I was under the assumption that the PS5 will also have an off-shelf controller of some sorts in addition to the asics. If not then I agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back