Interpretation of ND Job Posting *ad nauseam*

Cyan

orange
Legend
Supporter
This is only true of legacy games. If a new title releases in 2021, I guarantee there will be more console players than PC players. And if the ports are direct ports of consoles, IE, you need a mobo, cpu, gpu, and hard drive change. It's going to be a long time for the PC population to transition. I have a solid gaming PC, but it's pretty dated compared to what's coming. I'll need to toss everything and redo. And to best the XSX or PS5 it's going to be a costly GPU as well. CDN prices I'm marking around 599/699 max.
Here is an equivalent PC build:
AMD Ryzen 7 2700 Processor 8 Core/16 Thread reg $388.88 $198.88
ASRock B450M PRO4 Socket AM4 reg $139.99 $114.99*
ASUS Turbo GeForce RTX 2080 EVO 8GB 1740 MHz Boost 14000 MHz Memory reg $898.88 $848.88
Kingston A2000 1TB NVMe M.2 Read: 2200MB/s; Write: 2000MB/s Solid State Drive (SA2000M8/1000G) $199.99

I'll skip out on memory, since DDR4 is reusable and I have 24 GB of it, case, OS, Blu ray, audio and cooling.
sub total: $1363
People with an older PC get to pick up on memory too so slap on an additional 100 to get 16 GB of it.

By next year, this PC build won't be 1/2 price.
Yea. I'll take $699 any day.

It's not the death of PC gaming by any means;
as long as there are PCs, there will always be PC gaming.
But just because you have a PC doesn't mean you have to game on it.
well, a 2070 could actually do, taking into account bandwidth contention on the consoles' APU.

Equivalent Mobos can be bought cheaper.

Also, more and more kids are used to computers these days rather than consoles -a 7 years old kid in my hometown for instance, is always asking his mother for a PC, smart-.

In the past, it was different. Consoles were cheap and more like hardware of their own with some benefits -cheaper, more straightforward-. Nowadays consoles are PCs, just a lot worse, 30 fps and input lag are their thing. PCs are well over that nowadays, my current monitor won't accept a 30Hz signal without LFC. If a 30Hz passes through it, it is a dance of frames. And so on and so forth.

The Last of Us 2 developers, Naughty Dog, are looking for a new programmer with DX12 experience who can work with both AMD and nVidia hardware.

https://www.dsogaming.com/news/naug...dx12-vulkan-nvidia-gpus-for-the-last-of-us-2/

The Last of Us 2 developers, Naughty Dog, are looking for a new programmer with DX12 experience who can work with both AMD and nVidia hardware.

https://www.dsogaming.com/news/naug...dx12-vulkan-nvidia-gpus-for-the-last-of-us-2/
ND have put DX experience or opengl experience or other API as sufficient experience to apply for the job. This is standard practice in the industry. These two lines have always been there in first party job offers. You rephrased this beyond recognition.

Thorough understanding of current GPU architectures (AMD GCN, NVIDIA CUDA)
Experience with DirectX12, Vulkan or other modern graphics or compute APIs

well, a 2070 could actually do, taking into account bandwidth contention on the consoles' APU.

Equivalent Mobos can be bought cheaper.

Also, more and more kids are used to computers these days rather than consoles -a 7 years old kid in my hometown for instance, is always asking his mother for a PC, smart-.

In the past, it was different. Consoles were cheap and more like hardware of their own with some benefits -cheaper, more straightforward-. Nowadays consoles are PCs, just a lot worse, 30 fps and input lag are their thing. PCs are well over that nowadays, my current monitor won't accept a 30Hz signal without LFC. If a 30Hz passes through it, it is a dance of frames. And so on and so forth.

and with the booming of crossplay, console gamers no longer "jailed" to keep buying console from the same manufacturer depending on your social circle. And then there's also the super annoying slowness of PS4Pro : slow UX, slow loading time, slow share menu, slow patching (here's a 50MB patch that took like 5 seconds to download but 1 hour to install)...

about that job offer, it makes me think ND was hit with some graphic performance wall with TLOU2. So they are looking to get experts from "PC" to bring new perspective that may solve the issue.

Could be for a pc port, or their next title is on pc also, there was more to come afterall.

and with the booming of crossplay, console gamers no longer "jailed" to keep buying console from the same manufacturer depending on your social circle. And then there's also the super annoying slowness of PS4Pro : slow UX, slow loading time, slow share menu, slow patching (here's a 50MB patch that took like 5 seconds to download but 1 hour to install)...

about that job offer, it makes me think ND was hit with some graphic performance wall with TLOU2. So they are looking to get experts from "PC" to bring new perspective that may solve the issue.
also with the new GPUs, if you have a 4k screen and want to play at high frame rates, you have DLSS. In this case DLSS from 1080p native looks better than 4k native.

ND have put DX experience or opengl experience or other API as sufficient experience to apply for the job. This is standard practice in the industry. These two lines have always been there in first party job offers. You rephrased this beyond recognition.

Thorough understanding of current GPU architectures (AMD GCN, NVIDIA CUDA)
Experience with DirectX12, Vulkan or other modern graphics or compute APIs
nonsense. you are smart, so check your facts.

It contains no additional source.

Is there any other source than the job offer I quoted?

I Iiterally pasted the two lines which are the source of the entire chain of news about this.
sigh.... look for some text like this at reddit Sony Interactive Entertainment is looking for someone with Nvidia GPU, DirectX12, and PC programming knowledge to work on The Last of Us Part II.

sigh.... look for some text like this at reddit Sony Interactive Entertainment is looking for someone with Nvidia GPU, DirectX12, and PC programming knowledge to work on The Last of Us Part II.
A reddit post.

That's your source.

Job listings like that don't actually imply it will be. There could be millions of reasons to request certain types of experience. It may not be the most obvious and direct thing.

The simplest of reasons within AAA to request other experience is because they're running out of coders. You need to expand the skill set to become more inclusive and hope that when they join the team they can tech switch.

Job listings like that don't actually imply it will be. There could be millions of reasons to request certain types of experience. It may not be the most obvious and direct thing.
Yeah, jokes aside there's a possibility they would make the multiplayer game (which is separate) available on PC. They are worried about critical mass for such games and it would be a win win.

But the job offer have nothing to do with it, they even had these generic experience lines for the ICE team hiring.

Last edited:
Back