GSync; how does it actually work? Some people say that limiting framerate to 58 fps is okay...

Cyan

orange
Legend
Supporter
To sum it up, I have a Gsync monitor. I haven't touched anything other than enabling Gsync in the nVidia Control Panel, and let Vsync to "Use the 3D application setting".

Everything worked out of the box for me. No micro stuttering -more like slowdowns when framerate goes to say 30fps, for instance in Marvel vs Capcom Infinite where the game runs at 30 fps when the combat ends-.

However, some people told me that if you have a Gsync/Freesync monitor it's advisable to set the framerate limiter to 58 fps if you have a 60fps monitor to avoid stuttering, which I don't get.

What's the point of the technology if you have to go through that? Could they be wrong?

Then I read this https://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?t=4892 , which should explain that it is possible a myth, but well...

It goes down to 1FPS. The LFC is completely transparent, meaning going from 30FPS/30Hz to 29FPS/58Hz produces no stutter at all. It is completely seamless and looks like you're going from 30Hz to 29Hz. (Or whatever the lowest Hz of the panel is.)

Additionally, Metro Last Light Redux runs at 300+ fps on my GTX 1080 at High settings -no tessellation-. It's okay.

Thing is, there is no stuttering on my screen at all from surpassing the 240fps mark. Why not?

I read this in a forum but there's no current explanation for it.

Did anyone notice that if you have monitor running at 240hz you do not need to run v-sync alongside g-sync to avoid bottom screen tearing? I was quite baffled by this. When I switched my monitor to 144hz I had bottom screen tearing in all games unless I turned v-sync on. No single tear with 240hz and v-sync off though.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforc...standing-how-g-sync-and-v-sync-work-together/

I would try to limit the frame rate in metro your not generating visible frames your generating heat
ps: nvidia cards are great at tessellation why not enable it

I would try to limit the frame rate in metro your not generating visible frames your generating heat
ps: nvidia cards are great at tessellation why not enable it
Because he wants to play at 240Hz

since he's getting over 300fps wouldn't enabling tessellation still keep his frame rate above 240 ?
no, it doesn't. 300+ fps in the best case scenarios, but 240 fps 90% of the time is the thing. Still I can play at High and even Very High settings with it. Tessellation can take away like 20-40 fps though and it's not that that effect does much for me.

The getaway in the train at some point in the campaing is breathtaking at high framerates.

Because he wants to play at 240Hz
yes, and I managed to limit the framerate to 240 Hz without using 3rd party software. nVidia Control Panel and Max Frame Rate set to 240fps, it works like a charm.

VSync set to Use the 3D application setting and Triple Buffering --> Off. None of those are necessary with GSync.

Back