AMD: Navi Speculation, Rumours and Discussion [2019-2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Very interesting the benchmark Navi 21?

One of the dev of openVR benchmark said it can't be the laptop with an AMD integrated GPU and a TRX 2060

• OpenVR Benchmark is a GPU Benchmark, so being CPU-limited is basically impossible in there. The 4800H would definitely be fast enough to get a good result out of a GPU that is 30% faster than a 2080 Ti.
  • I can confirm the AMD engineering sample result is in the leaderboard
  • OpenVR Benchmark is still quite new, and every software can have bugs. But there's also almost 2000 leaderboard entries already, and if there would be something majorly buggy, that would be known (and fixed) by now. I do not think any bug is involved here.
  • It's definitely not the result of a RTX 2060, the performance is way too good. The fact that the user who submitted the result is using an engineering sample CPU also makes it very unlikely that this is "fabricated by someone in their free time", because that would involve a lot of time, and someone who has an engineering sample CPU is likely using it at work, for testing purposes.
Other interesting tidbit
It hasn't really been mentioned here, but that best performing 2080 Ti in the leaderboard is already a really good performing 2080 Ti. As usual, there's many GPUs that perform somewhere in the middle, with few being faster and few being slower. The majority of 2080 Ti actually perform more around ~80 fps in this benchmark, so the unnamed GPU we talk about here is around 29% faster than a regular 2080 Ti, while being 17% faster than the highest overclocked 2080 Ti.

Very interesting

I suspect the rumors & infobits we are getting are somewhat true.
-505mm^2 rDNA2.0 die
-7nm+
-lower clocks
-2080ti +15%~30% performance

I would assume, the full die & binned is the 5900 Series, while the cut-downs become the 5800 Series. I think AMD (dr. su) will hit the market with these, at rock bottom prices and sell them enmasse like hotcakes. Leveraging her economy of scale of some 30 wafers @ TSMC on 7nm... and undercut the whole market with a massive price re-alignment. Under AMD's control.

I don't think either GPU manufacturer is in a hurry, because even people with 1080ti would not bite on shaky RTX series. Turing wasn't enough and this "big navi" might be the price/performance ratio that lands in every gamer's rig. But it does seem, that rDNA2.0 is farther along than Ampere, as such we will see "big navi" 4-5 months before we see anything from Nvidia.

The reason this is so fascinating is that AMD separated their gaming GPUs, from their enterprise GPUs. rDNA & Vega are going their separate ways and in doing this rdna is more focused on gaming industry and game design.

With 40% more space, AMD can pack in 50% more performance... shedding GCN.. or as the rumor was heard..

I would assume, the full die & binned is the 5900 Series, while the cut-downs become the 5800 Series. I think AMD (dr. su) will hit the market with these, at rock bottom prices and sell them enmasse like hotcakes. Leveraging her economy of scale of some 30 wafers @ TSMC on 7nm... and undercut the whole market with a massive price re-alignment. Under AMD's control.
I don't think AMD will be selling a 500mm^2 GPU that performs 30% above the 2080 Ti at rock bottom prices.
Not only would that would be detrimental to AMD's Radeon brand, but they now have enough mindshare to get closer to the profit margins practiced by nvidia. Which they already did with the Navi 10 cards.

I suspect the rumors & infobits we are getting are somewhat true.
-505mm^2 rDNA2.0 die
-7nm+
-lower clocks
-2080ti +15%~30% performance

I don't think either GPU manufacturer is in a hurry, because even people with 1080ti would not bite on shaky RTX series. Turing wasn't enough and this "big navi" might be the price/performance ratio that lands in every gamer's rig. But it does seem, that rDNA2.0 is farther along than Ampere, as such we will see "big navi" 4-5 months before we see anything from Nvidia.

The reason this is so fascinating is that AMD separated their gaming GPUs, from their enterprise GPUs. rDNA & Vega are going their separate ways and in doing this rdna is more focused on gaming industry and game design.

With 40% more space, AMD can pack in 50% more performance... shedding GCN.. or as the rumor was heard..
Rock bottom prices? Nope . . . why are people constantly delusional about AMD’s pricing? Selling such a huge N7+ die at rock bottom prices would, frankly speaking, be stupid, and the current AMD is anything but stupid. It wouldn’t work, in the first place.

The fastest part will be significantly faster than the 2080ti, yes, but priced appropriately! And somehow, people will be shocked, just like after RDNA1.0 cards had their pricing revealed.

7% compared to their cut down version in TU11x chips, likely way more than that when compared to their total absence. Tensor cores are kinda complex.

7% compared to their cut down version in TU11x chips, likely way more than that when compared to their total absence. Tensor cores are kinda complex.

There's no cut down version of Tensor cores in TU11x chips. It simply has FP16 ALUs instead. They should be extremely small and simple. And unlike Tensor cores, they are always going to be there in consumer cards anyways, there's no point in calculating how much area they take.

Wrong news about AFOX EEC database entries for the alleged Radeon RX 5800 (XT), 5900 (XT) and 5950 (XT) in circulation | Ask AFOX

So firstly, AFOX is not a board partner, neither from AMD nor from Nvidia, and secondly, the manufacturers do not report anything to the EEC themselves. The Eurasian Economic Commission (Eurasian Economic Commission) is an association of five countries in northeastern Eurasia into an internal market with a customs union, but like the EU, it maintains a central register for all possible goods that must then be registered before (possible) import. From the dealer or importer. And this was exactly the originator of this “information”, not AFOX.

The entries in this database are also subject to ordinary bureaucracy, which is not surprising to anyone, and they also cost money per form. So what could be more obvious than having prophylactic entries once a year that might come at some point? Many of the entries in this database also refer to products that have never been produced. Preliminary work with holding saves effort and, of course, time and fees.

https://translate.google.com/transl...-xt-und-5950-xt-im-umlauf-nachfrage-bei-afox/

Hmm, 30% faster, or whatever, than a 2080ti.

That'd put it about twice as fast a Rx 5700 xt. Just doubling that chip doesn't make a lot of sense, that powerdraw would be catastrophic. Wonder if it's a big RNDA 2.0. 6 functional blocks, 6 WGPs/12Cus a block, 72 Cus or etc. could get there, 24gbs of ram works for high end matching the new consoles too. How far ahead are testable GPUs from releasable GPUs? Less than a year? So big RDNA (unlikely?) or RDNA2 due this year, could well be.

Also hardly surprised the "5900" doesn't exist. What would it be, a 20% boost over a 5700xt (and what happened to 5800)? Wouldn't be worth taping out and repping an entire new GPU. And the multiple models just doesn't sit with how slowly AMD's been doling out its different bins as of late. The 5600 has waited half a year till after the 5700 series despite being a bin of the same chip.

Last edited:
A lot more of what?

Of everything, including many more FP16 ALUs and FP32 accumulator. The specifics are obviously unknown, but there has been discussion in these forums.

Simply by logic, look at the comparison posted by iamw above. Getting rid of Tensor cores makes the SM go from 1.88mm2 to 1.38mm2 and there's an additional 0.15mm2 reduction on the scheduler. Considering that the 1.38mm2 TU11x SM still holds lots of registers, FP32, INT32, FP64 ALUs and SFUs in addition to the comparably tiny FP16 implementation, how much of that area do you honestly believe you can attribute to the FP16 ALUs? Do you really think it represents any significant* amount of those 1.38mm2 when there's so many other much larger SIMDs in there? And even then, however much you think they are, how much do you think it means compared to the full die? The SMs themselves are only 66mm2 (48 times 1.38) of the 284mm2 TU116 die!!!

*Significant as in compared to the 0.5mm2 of the Tensor core.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back