Moderators changing user's choice of acronyms. What constitutes suitable language? *spawn

• Thread starter Deleted member 13524
  • Start date
Using MS's PlayFab system, just came across these error messages for MS's console...

upload_2020-1-15_21-33-21.png

They just can't help themselves! ;)

It's not about using this word or the other, it's about having this increasing list of forbidden words to mention something in a forum, and it's about stealth editing posts, and it's about the motives for doing both.
That's what it is now, but the stealth edits were because it came across that you were wanting to use a juvenile contraction to make digs at MS. the mods have no idea what your intentions are beyond an interpretation of the text in front of us, and it shouldn't come as a surprise when people see "SeX" and think, "they're taking the piss," rather than, "they're wanting to use an acronym that they find comfortable typing because XBSX for some reason isn't, but that just happens to spell sex."

I did not perform the edits. The issue was raised and the mods discussed it. Both sides of the situation were seen - do you introduce a list of approved names, and have to moderate everything, or do you let people use the language they want. At the time, it was hoped people would move on to using less silly contractions of their own accord.

At some point, I presume, a moderator decided that allowing the contraction to persist would end up legitimising it (and notably, legitimising the implied application of derogatory remarks, there being no indicator that the use of 'SeX' wasn't intentionally for the word it spells, and the subsequent precedent of letting people use shitty terms for products, companies, and anything else), and by stealth-editing it, it'd gently phase it's use out without needing big hoohahs as is now being raised.

Next step is having a "Glossary of Allowed Terms for use in B3D" because the other terms offends or cause discomfort to mods A and B, or because it's easier to search...
It's more a case of defining a standard of quality that fits the B3D ethos, whether it's a significant problem or not. In principle, as 'engineers', we don't want people googling "SeX" to look up info on MS consoles. I hope we don't need to spell out why that's a problem.

Who exactly suggested that "M$" should be banned because it undermines Microsoft (i.e. it offends someone)?
That goes way, way back. When I came to B3D, I had spent some time trying other forums to discuss tech, particularly to understand the PS2 architecture and how its unique approach compared to other solutions, and they were all shit with unending schoolyard childishness. B3D was in a league of its own, but it was still rife with fanboyism and noise. Back then, the word "fanboy" among others was taboo to try and steer conversations away from those paths. M$ was used as a derogatory dig at MS with all their money. It served no useful purpose and there was zero reason to use or allow M$ over MS, so it was banned. Back then, there was site-wide talk of just closing the console fora down because all they generated was noise and, quite frankly, they were an embarrassment to the rest of the site.

After a lot of work, some tough management, a number of bans, the console fora were shaped into what they are now, where regardless of user preferences, platform discussion is very largely neutral, and I decry anyone to find a better space on the internet for that. With the new-found maturity and responsibility of the community, taboo words were lifted to enable discussion of their topics, such as talking about platform fanboys without calling each other out as fanboys, and the guiding principles weren't a legally-binding tome with every single do and don't, including a list of words and acronyms one can and can't use, but a polite FAQ and a lot of common sense. So, swear words are not banned, but if people go overboard, we'll ask them to change their language. We don't mind the rare visual meme, but we're not going to go full NeoGAF with bloody owls everywhere, and when we start saying, "right, enough with the GIFs people," that won't be based on some scientific metric but when we mods decide the subjective balance has gone too far for B3D. We tolerate some degree of divergence into 'adult material', but at some point, based simply on how the mod team feels (and that being a low-grade nonsense thread, we are more relaxed with it than elsewhere), we'll put a stop and get people back to being sensible. By and large, we wait for the community to regulate itself, dropping OTs and getting back to the normal discussion in their own time.

And in that vein, common sense and an adherence to the spirit of the law without a huge document explicitly spelling out every possible do and don't, the mod team does not like abbreviating a console to a 'rude word' or even a silly one. That really shouldn't need spelling out. It should be obvious to everyone here, especially those who have been around for a decade, that calling a console 'SeX' ain't right for B3D and something else should be used. I mean, it really should be obvious. The amount of time and effort I've had to go to to explain this is a bit bonkers. I really would have thought a long term user of B3D would have the gumption to notice that using 'SeX' to talk about a console was contrary to the B3D aspirations.

I hope that's adequate explanation for you and you'll be happy to accommodate the requested changes. This post has covered everything I care to say on it any more and I don't think it needs be argued further, but that doesn't preclude other mods contributing (we are individuals with our own opinions and takes).

That's what it is now, but the stealth edits were because it came across that you were wanting to use a juvenile contraction to make digs at MS.

But why a stealth edit? I think mod edits should always be visible. It doesn't have to say which mod made the edit, but it should be made clear for everybody to see something was edited and why.

If not, how can the community trust their posts aren't toyed around with?

Visible mod edits will make moderation transparent, make it obvious moderation is done and will make it clear for all what is and what is not acceptable.

As far as I'm aware, posts are marked as edited. I don't know why these posts were edited without notification - I didn't edit them.

Back