Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 1X isn't going to produce consistent results due to variance because of the method of construction. (Hovis method)

If you want fair comparisons you will need to find many sites or someone testing many different 1X boxes.

If the ps4pro is using as much power as 1X, the question I'd have is why? Aren't they on the same process?
It’s all power supply efficiency. More efficient AC to DC and DC to DC.

Most of the people just don't care about it. The people in the forums aren't in the target market.

To me it would seem odd to launch a product that is outperformed by something from the previous generation unless it comes at an extreme price savings. Either the 4TF lockhart is quite cheap ($249 or less), outperforms the 1x at that 4TF or it's more like 6TF.

Arent we pretty sure it would with RDNA2, Zen CPU, SSD...the totality would be a "nice little system", that would be overall speedier and a better package than a X1X. And what was the number DF came up with that RDNA is better than GCN by? Wasn't it close to 50%?

Still not convinced it's a good business idea.

I mean to me it's like MS might have the most power, then turn around and kinda shoot that advantage in the foot by supporting a 4TF lowest common denominator.

I seriously doubt its all power supply efficiency.
What else could it be? Same CPU, but higher clocks. More CUs, and higher clocked. 50% more RAM chips, and those are higher clocked too. The only thing to be done is increase power supply efficiency and lower voltage to the absolute min, which is exactly what the Hovis Method does.

Most of the people just don't care about it. The people in the forums aren't in the target market.

To me it would seem odd to launch a product that is outperformed by something from the previous generation unless it comes at an extreme price savings. Either the 4TF lockhart is quite cheap ($249 or less), outperforms the 1x at that 4TF or it's more like 6TF.
Should be at really bargain price a 4 TF machine.. 160/170 dollars, maybe digital edition and with no SSD. Also Sony I think is going to make a ps4pro (with cutted 7nm chips) digital edition, with no SSD at around the same price. Old used ps4 and ps4pro will keep a bit more value because of the disk reader. Same with One-X, One-S and even One..... I think i new machine only the edge more costly products will keep the disk reader.....

Should be at really bargain price a 4 TF machine.. 160/170 dollars, maybe digital edition and with no SSD. Also Sony I think is going to make a ps4pro (with cutted 7nm chips) digital edition, with no SSD at around the same price. Old used ps4 and ps4pro will keep a bit more value because of the disk reader. Same with One-X, One-S and even One..... I think i new machine only the edge more costly products will keep the disk reader.....

I was under the impression SSD was included (by all the leaks anyway).

When i search around about this all the results keep saying it was a report from Digitimes but i can't find the actual source report they are all talking about?

It's likely behind a paywall, or a bunch of random websites are tagging digitimes with the same rumor for giggles.

When i search around about this all the results keep saying it was a report from Digitimes but i can't find the actual source report they are all talking about?
Ah, just figured it out: Seems like this is just the Phison controller in Xbox report from the other day that has gone through layers of machine translation and misunderstanding.

Phison is "群联" which can also be read "Qunlian" and somehow it became about an actual SSD and not a controller.

The 1X isn't going to produce consistent results due to variance because of the method of construction. (Hovis method)

If you want fair comparisons you will need to find many sites or someone testing many different 1X boxes.

If the ps4pro is using as much power as 1X, the question I'd have is why? Aren't they on the same process?

Problem is not many sites did tests on these things and those that did. One I did find had results similar to mine. The 1x eurogamer/df have is about as good as it gets. I could mention my own system at 192w and 57dB but when I do people tend to get a bit defensiv. My temps are lower cause my game room sits at ~65*.

I seriously doubt its all power supply efficiency.
Some of it definitely is. PRO uses a 310w power supply. Probably some cheapo unit that's really inefficient. On overage it's probably running at ~40%load/60% peak.

XBX : Hovis method + more power efficient (and expensive) power supply, can consume from 175W to 200W depending of lottery (I suspect the first models given to reviewers were the lucky ones with max 175W, but more recent models were usually higher than that, up to 199W)

Pro: Max 175W (consistent) on the last Pro model.

20200116-095941.jpg

If he deletes the tweet

Inefficient PSU cannot fully account for it, otherwise the mosfet would have a much bigger and hotter heatsink. It's a classic Delta design, nothing fancy, nothing bad either. It's used well within it's highest efficiency region (60% of full, so must be above 90% eff), so at best there's 5% more here than 1X. Maybe 8 watts?

They used a very early 14/16 design from AMD, a full year earlier than MS and added vega features like DRM. That means no time to have revisions to reduce power or reduce voltage or improve yield. I would see this as the most probable. Getting good yield with a higher voltage, both to reach that 399 price point and to launch a year early. (and they didn't use the TDP roulette design either)

It's likely behind a paywall, or a bunch of random websites are tagging digitimes with the same rumor for giggles.
Yes. Digitimes automatically paywalls their content a few days after release.

Inefficient PSU cannot fully account for it, otherwise the mosfet would have a much bigger and hotter heatsink. It's a classic Delta design, nothing fancy, nothing bad either. It's used well within it's highest efficiency region (60% of full, so must be above 90% eff), so at best there's 5% more here than 1X. Maybe 8 watts?

They used a very early 14/16 design from AMD, a full year earlier than MS and added vega features like DRM. That means no time to have revisions to reduce power or reduce voltage or improve yield. I would see this as the most probable. Getting good yield with a higher voltage, both to reach that 399 price point and to launch a year early. (and they didn't use the TDP roulette design either)

There is plenty of DC-DC to account for too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back