Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Box is just big enough to fit a 140mm fan. If it's at the top and blowing hot air to the top, I'm expecting a fairly dusty system. Negative pressure will have dust trying to get through every nook and cranny. If it's on the bottom, that shouldn't be an issue.
Fan position doesn't matter regards dust concerns. There'll be intake one side of the fan and exhaust the other, and you need filtering on the intake regardless where it is. If we assume that the air is coming out the top, because we don't want air blowing down onto the desk/table/cabinet, then regardless whether the fan is at the top or in the middle or at the bottom, that top is an exhaust and the intakes are somewhere else, at the bottom or back or something. If these have filters, dust free. If not, there'll be dust. Alternatively, the exhausts are at the back, air's drawn in the top, and there's a nice filter on the top keeping it dust free inside.

In fact, the notion of positive and negative pressure systems is invalid. It's all about airflow and filtering. Air gets hot so has to be exhausted, and this has to be replaced or you'd create a vacuum which 1) ruins cooling and 2) would collapse the case. What we call a 'positive' pressure system just has a filter intake and whatever you like exhaust. You could just as readily switch that fan in reverse and add a whole bunch of filters on intake holes, or a single intake one side of the case with a filter and the exhaust the other and stick the fan on either- it should draw filtered air in and exhaust it at the same rate regardless.

Positive or negative pressure in cooling systems is absolutely valid regarding dust control. The problem is not the main airflow ports that can be filtered. The problem is all other small openings (connectors, disc opening etc.). Think of a long tube with a fan in one end. If the fan blows air in the tube, you can punch a hole in the side and the small over pressure will also blow a little bit of air out of that hole. If you change the direction of the fan, the slight vaccum or negative pressure will suck dust into that hole.

I would argue that the TF of Lockhart is the most consistent spec of this entire rumor cycle.

It’s not as exciting of a product, so people are less incentivized to invent bullshit numbers for it, IMO.
I think the inconsistency about Lockhart is whether it will exist or not.

Well you wouldn't need to go all out for certification or any standards in a console. It'd just need to fit together well enough to not have meaningful air ingress. On a console, that ought to just be ports and drive, would be be sealed up cheaply enough imagine. In XBSX's case, it shouldn't have a significant enough cost impact to affect fan position based on my previous post's thinkings. Like, "if they want filtered air and have the fan at the top, it'll cost $100 million more than if they have the fan at the bottom," sort of thing.

I very much doubt Lockhart can do 1X BC if it has a 4 TFLOPs GPU. I've never seen anything remotely suggesting that Navi has 50% higher IPC than Polaris, let alone the fact that emulating something with higher theoretical throughput shouldn't really be possible unless the XBoneX is seriously underutilized (doubtful).

If it's still coming, Lockhart is a new-gen console that plays new-gen titles at 1080p, with decent XBone emulation where it perhaps runs its games in boost mode with increased framerates.

And since this is the baseless rumors thread, nothing like your typical unknown website (probably) trying to get a viewer and patreon increase by throwing off baseless rumors:

aaaand.. it comes from pastebin.

Crap. Does this mean that I am losing all my wagers?

What they did in the One X wasn't that impressive. PRO is considered to have piss poor cooling by many, yet all they did in the latest revision is lower fan speed to make it almost as quiet as the onex. It also made it several degrees warmer, on par with the one x.

~50% more Tflops and ~50% more RAM/bandwidth in a smaller form factor while still quieter. The difference can't be eliminated by just lowering the fan speed.

I think the inconsistency about Lockhart is whether it will exist or not.

Yeah. I think it could go a number of ways. I mean of course, I'm not privy to MS plans, but just guessing, I feel like it's not a certainty to launch.

I dont really see how they can kick the price a whole lower anyway. 299 at best? That's still very expensive to a casual consumer, PS4 and Xbox One are at 149 and 199 at the holidays. The 12-16 Gigs GDDR (presumably), 1TB NVME SSD, 8 core Zen CPU, the controller, Blu Ray drive (Maybe questionable?) etc are not going away as cost drivers. That IMO makes it a tough sell, but what do I know.

Crap. Does this mean that I am losing all my wagers?

I know you're joking but that's a crap poor rumor.

That's one reason I believe the github leaks (though they can be wrong). There is no credible opposing rumor that's been congealed around. If real non-github hardware existed, I'm pretty sure it would surface in some consistent way.

~50% more Tflops and ~50% more RAM/bandwidth in a smaller form factor while still quieter. The difference can't be eliminated by just lowering the fan speed.
The reply and original message were in regard to cooling/noise, not overall system. They were both ~175w consoles. It also came out a year later and cost $100 more if we're listing differences.

Well you wouldn't need to go all out for certification or any standards in a console. It'd just need to fit together well enough to not have meaningful air ingress. On a console, that ought to just be ports and drive, would be be sealed up cheaply enough imagine. In XBSX's case, it shouldn't have a significant enough cost impact to affect fan position based on my previous post's thinkings. Like, "if they want filtered air and have the fan at the top, it'll cost $100 million more than if they have the fan at the bottom," sort of thing.

That's if everything fits perfectly together which is rarely the case. There's a reason that devices with dust certification are generally more expensive. Keeping dust out is difficult. Not as difficult as liquids but more so than your average consumer device (like a console). You still have to physically seal every opening and every single edge that isn't a contiguous surface.

And even that potentially goes out the window once the device is serviced. Especially in the case of user self servicing.

All of that said. For the consoles and most console owners it won't matter whether it's positive or negative pressure as it's highly unlikely that either MS or Sony will include dust filters in the design.

It's just from a personal perspective when the XBSX was revealed, I liked the thought of being able to make it virtually dust free by just attaching a filter over an intake fan opening (if it was positive pressure). However, if some of those shots of the purported back of the device (with air vents) that Windows Central posted are true, then it's obviously a negative pressure design, likely with the fan at the top.

Regards,
SB

Pro is ~155w according to DF.

In Infamous First Light. One X only hits 131w in doom.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2018-playstation-4-pro-cuh-7200-review

With all three Pros run through the watt meter, power consumption is essentially the same in the 170W region. Curiously though, the launch model spikes to 177W around 15 minutes in. The CUH-7100 and the new CUH-7200 are fairly solid, though the former shaves off 2-3W in comparison to the freshly minted console revision.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-microsoft-xbox-one-x-review_1

We got the same results on a second Xbox One X we tested, and bearing in mind that we measured peak draw from the wall at 175W, the discreet nature of the console is exceptional.

In various games under various conditions, both run sub 150w. I could use different sites for different takes, one but figured using one source for both would be better.

The 1X isn't going to produce consistent results due to variance because of the method of construction. (Hovis method)

If you want fair comparisons you will need to find many sites or someone testing many different 1X boxes.

If the ps4pro is using as much power as 1X, the question I'd have is why? Aren't they on the same process?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back