Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Digitimes doesn’t mention the type of controllers.

E18/16 or something else are purely speculation.

The only info now is from windowscentral who claims up to 2GB/sec.

A 2000 MB/s nvme would be hugely disappointing. That's not even close to the nvme performance I'd expect. They should be somewhere around 3500 MB/s read. If they're not ... well ... poopy console.

I thought it was interesting marketing saying "Fastest. Most Powerful" before we even know the official specs of each.

Tommy McClain

They already used that terminology when it was revealed at the game awards. I believe they said it was the fastest most powerful Xbox and that Phil said he was confident that they would have the more powerful machine. But it wasn't explicit and definitive.

I don't think any console will be doing native 4k. It's a waste when temporal upscaling can get you 80-90% of the quality for 60% of the cost.

I mean, we have some native 4k games now. Give much more power again and I suppose there will be a fair bit of it.

They already used that terminology when it was revealed at the game awards. I believe they said it was the fastest most powerful Xbox and that Phil said he was confident that they would have the more powerful machine. But it wasn't explicit and definitive.

Yeah, went back & watched Phil's speech. He did say that in regard to "their console". So I will give you that. I thought the image could be read as the fastest & most powerful console period. If it's just for the Xbox then yeah not as exciting.

Tommy McClain

Yeah, went back & watched Phil's speech. He did say that in regard to "their console". So I will give you that. I thought the image could be read as the fastest & most powerful console period. If it's just for the Xbox then yeah not as exciting.

Tommy McClain

They cant reasonably claim that with PS5 not even out yet. Besides, it seems like direct comparisons in consumer products, even breakfast cereal, are disliked and loaded with disclaimers, of course due to lawyers.

The more important thing is the overall thrust of the messaging, the wind tunnel form factor, etc.

I wonder how much market MS could gain if they price Series X the same as PS5 while having 3 TF advantage? It would be interesting to see how all the Xboxes stack up in price.
SX: $499
Lockhart: $349
1X: $299
1S: $199

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder how much market MS could gain if they price Series X the same as PS5 while having 3 TF advantage? It would be interesting to see how all the Xboxes stack up in price.
SX: $499
Lockhart: $349
1X: $299
1S: $199
The 1X will almost certainly be discontinued. A 360mm^2 die with 12 GDDR5 chips is not going to be economical to produce for that MSRP, and a 4TF Navi GPU will come very close to replicating its performance. Digital Foundry showed Navi had a 40% uplift from the GPUs most closely used in those consoles, trying to equalize factors.

Last edited:
and a 4TF Navi GPU will come very close to replicating its performance.
I will be extremely disappointed if it doesn't at least match the 1X.
My expectations are that it should be able to run 1X games at 1X performance in BC mode.
Whether that means 4.2TF or 4.8TF.

As the xsx has leveled off at 12TF for me at the moment (although still wouldn't be surprised at less), I would like to see Lockhart around the 5TF mark. For me that would give it enough breathing room compared to xsx.
But min is matching 1X for BC.

I will be extremely disappointed if it doesn't at least match the 1X.
My expectations are that it should be able to run 1X games at 1X performance in BC mode.
Whether that means 4.2TF or 4.8TF.

As the xsx has leveled off at 12TF for me at the moment (although still wouldn't be surprised at less), I would like to see Lockhart around the 5TF mark. For me that would give it enough breathing room compared to xsx.
But min is matching 1X for BC.

Lockhart's rumored specs make it seem like it is basically just a "next gen 1X". A cheaper next gen console with just enough gpu grunt to do 1X BC.

Lockhart's rumored specs make it seem like it is basically just a "next gen 1X". A cheaper next gen console with just enough gpu grunt to do 1X BC.
And that's what I'm ok with as a minimum, it has to be a replacement for 1X being able to run XO games with 1X profile setting, with min of same performance.

Unlike others I don't care if its 4.xTF or 6TF for 'marketing' reasons.

So what if Lockhart is just a new variant of Xbox One X, and it won't run the Series X exclusives when they start to release? Is it possibly smaller and cheaper to manufacture than a One X, allowing cheaper prices and continued sales? Sony always had good success selling slimmed down variants of the old gen for low prices to target budget gamers. They could potentially kill off both the Xbox One and Xbox One X. It may seem weird to switch to new architecture for that, but if they want to make sure it gets whatever new operating system that ships on Series X, maybe having the same cpu and gpu architecture helps.

edit: got my codnames mixed up

Last edited:
So what if Anaconda is just a new variant of Xbox One X, and it won't run the Series X exclusives when they start to release? Is it possibly smaller and cheaper to manufacture than a One X, allowing cheaper prices and continued sales? Sony always had good success selling slimmed down variants of the old gen for low prices to target budget gamers. They could potentially kill off both the Xbox One and Xbox One X. It may seem weird to switch to new architecture for that, but if they want to make sure it gets whatever new operating system that ships on Series X, maybe having the same cpu and gpu architecture helps.
Anaconda is series x. If lockhart releases it will be a 1080-1440 next gen xbox for those that don't want/need the xsx.

So what if Lockhart is just a new variant of Xbox One X, and it won't run the Series X exclusives when they start to release? Is it possibly smaller and cheaper to manufacture than a One X, allowing cheaper prices and continued sales? Sony always had good success selling slimmed down variants of the old gen for low prices to target budget gamers. They could potentially kill off both the Xbox One and Xbox One X. It may seem weird to switch to new architecture for that, but if they want to make sure it gets whatever new operating system that ships on Series X, maybe having the same cpu and gpu architecture helps.

edit: got my codnames mixed up

It's no different than Xbox One S and Xbox One X...and there are no exclusives on 1X.

Anaconda is series x. If lockhart releases it will be a 1080-1440 next gen xbox for those that don't want/need the xsx.
I think Lockhart could be an attractive option for a lot of people. The SSD which I'm assuming will be in Lockhart as well is a big upgrade for people like me that have a ONE S. A lot of the games my girlfriend plays have horrendous loading times (We Happy Few, Outer Worlds). When I told her I wanted to buy the new XBOX when it comes out she wasn't on board, but as soon as I told her load times would be almost instantaneous she was sold lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back