Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think any console will be doing native 4k. It's a waste when temporal upscaling can get you 80-90% of the quality for 60% of the cost.
With these consoles and 2K native upscaled to 4K resolution, visuals will be eye melting.

I am sure Sony will be shooting for that. For MS, who knows.

Xbox Series X SSDs Will be Powered by Phison Controller, Report Claims:
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/x...be-powered-by-phison-controller-report-claims

According to a report from DigiTimes, Phison has "reportedly broken into the supply chain of Microsoft's Xbox," seemingly confirming industry speculation that the Taiwanese SSD controller vendor had secured a contract to provide components for the highly-anticipated Xbox Series X.

What does that mean for gamers? The possibility of PCIe 4.0 SSDs that could hit 7 GB/s of throughput and up to 8TB of capacity, though the latter isn't likely because it would be shocking overkill for a console and add quite a bit to the price tag.

Phison has a big advantage in terms of raw speed. The company produces E16 SSD controllers that third-party SSD vendors use to build the only SSDs on the market that support the PCIe 4.0 interface, giving them access to potentially twice the sequential throughput of any other model currently on the market. The E16's strength in sequential work is important: The faster interface pumps high-quality textures into the processor nearly twice as fast as PCIe 3.0 SSDs (up to 5GB/s), thus enabling richer scenes and smoother gameplay. Phison already has its next-gen E18 SSD controller in the works, too, that will push the bar up to 7GB/s.

We recently visited Phison at CES, and the company also had new PCIe 4.0 SSD prototypes that cram an astounding 8TB onto a single M.2 SSD with the E12S controller, so the company is working to make both faster and more capacious SSDs that could all land in the same time frame as Microsoft's Xbox Series X.

I'm 98.4234% sure that this leak was legit. Every piece of it has appeared in other leaks we take to be credible, Flute benchmark, Github leak. Nothing about it has been in conflict with new info.
Yes, me too. The things that actually looked suspcious (18Gbps modules from Samsung and die size) now look like most legit part.

Flute benchmark had downclocked 18Gbps memory and 13F9 GPU - Oberon A0. Oberon A0 from all that can be seen in Regression_test_native is 40CU chip (36 active) on 256bit bus. ~14.1mm² in height makes it fit perfectly to Navi 10 chip on same bus, and funnily enough this leaked before we knew the size of 40CU Navi.

Biggest red flags about this leak was the fact that it was released on 21/05/2019, which by many was far too early for dev kit, but then we got confirmation that "V" style dev kits were actually sent to developers in June/July, therefore making enitre thing even more legit.

To me, this always had a good chance of being real considering someone on manufacturing site can easily get this info + he never talked about TFlops, dual GPUs, GTAVI and date of next years conference.

*Bonus point for a leak is that it came out before Navi and Flute/Github leak and not the other way around

Last edited:
Technical tidbits from the one link (blame Google for any mistranslations) ...

According to previous reports, the PS5018-E18 master will provide a reading/write speed of 7GB/s and a reading/write speed of up to 1000k IOPS. In order to achieve this goal, GroupLink has changed from TSMC's 28nm lithography technology to the latest 12nm manufacturing process, controlling the controller power consumption to a maximum of about 3W, and increasing the speed of each memory channel from 800 MT/s to 1200MT/s, which greatly improves the speed of the controller. The new controller will also support DDR4/LPDDR4 caching and will be able to support TLC and QLC NAND, as will NVMe 1.4 protocols.​

Digitimes doesn’t mention the type of controllers.

E18/16 or something else are purely speculation.

The only info now is from windowscentral who claims up to 2GB/sec.

Article was behind paywall for me. Do I didn't get to the original source.

Tommy McClain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back