Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they announce in Feb, no event make any sense before that, and anything too close after would have no new info. They need the event before GDC which will go into technical stuff, so Feb is almost assured. And GDC is a bit early this year, which is why some journalists expect Feb 5 or 12. (and a wednesday because previous unveiling was a wednesday)

They must send invites tomorrow for a Feb 5 event with the usual three weeks notice.

some journalists expect Feb 5 or 12.
Why wednesdays?

Someone else other then Sony is hosting the PlayStation event? That's just...weird.
This leak mentions a February 5 reveal at NYC's Sony Hall, with pre-orders going up on the same day for select countries.
Sony having their event hosted by a retailer would make sense if they're having those same-day pre-orders done through that retailer.

Assuming Sony will have at least Japan and US as starting countries, which retailer would make more sense to partner with?
Amazon?

Like I said before, this leak will probably be true if these come up:
- Sony Santa Monica with a new IP called Legendz
- Naughty Dog with a new scifi IP.

Why wednesdays?
No my prediction, but I saw journalists taking bets on the date, and they narrowed it to a wednesday being more probable because of past unveilings. I didn't look it up further.

The same timing versus GDC compared to 2013 event would place it on Feb 12.

Last edited:
Why wednesdays?

This leak mentions a February 5 reveal at NYC's Sony Hall, with pre-orders going up on the same day for select countries.
Sony having their event hosted by a retailer would make sense if they're having those same-day pre-orders done through that retailer.

Assuming Sony will have at least Japan and US as starting countries, which retailer would make more sense to partner with?
Amazon?

Like I said before, this leak will probably be true if these come up:
- Sony Santa Monica with a new IP called Legendz
- Naughty Dog with a new scifi IP.

Pretty sure the ND 'sci-fi' IP rumour has been around for ages...(Savage Starlight)

Pretty sure the ND 'sci-fi' IP rumour has been around for ages...(Savage Starlight)

ND will release a PS4 game in July. We will see nothing from ND in a PS5 event. Same Son Santa Monica released God of War in 2018 we will nothing from them for a PS5 event in february.

The only crediblt 10+ millions game is HZD2 and probably in 2021 not for launch. Insomniac can release a title, they have multiple teams and are very efficient.

ND will release a PS4 game in July. We will see nothing from ND in a PS5 event. Same Son Santa Monica released God of War in 2018 we will nothing from them for a PS5 event in february.

The only crediblt 10+ millions game is HZD2 and probably in 2021 not for launch. Insomniac can release a title, they have multiple teams and are very efficient.

I wouldn't be surprised to see teasers...something to wow the crowds, and we all know both ND and Santa Monica make pretty games that push tech.

Depending on the studio size (i.e. if it's not small enough for needing to have many people taking different jobs within the development process) I'd say most studios end up working on more than one title at each given time.
Asset creators probably weren't doing much for God of War 2018 since 2017, for example.
In 2018, production for a game to launch in late 2020 could be well underway.

BTW, the cadence between the first 4 God of War titles was always 3 years:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SIE_Santa_Monica_Studio

2005 -> 2007 -> 2010 -> 2013.
They only broke this rythm when a title was cancelled during production, in 2014:
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-02-26-god-of-war-developer-sony-santa-monica-suffers-layoffs

It is an event for retailer.

Why would Sony launch PS5 at a retailer event? Seems pretty odd. I would think Sony would want to plan their own big event to announce details, launch etc of a PS5. Also, having an exclusive launch retailer, if that's what this is suggesting, is a pretty new thing. The only company that could pull it off is Amazon. I think that would piss off a lot of their other retail partners.

Why would Sony launch PS5 at a retailer event? Seems pretty odd. I would think Sony would want to plan their own big event to announce details, launch etc of a PS5. Also, having an exclusive launch retailer, if that's what this is suggesting, is a pretty new thing. The only company that could pull it off is Amazon. I think that would piss off a lot of their other retail partners.
They wouldn’t, and that’s not what he’s saying. It’s a closed door event for retailers and publishers. Sony wouldn’t host it because they’re specifically focused on another event, perhaps...

They wouldn’t, and that’s not what he’s saying. It’s a closed door event for retailers and publishers. Sony wouldn’t host it because they’re specifically focused on another event, perhaps...

Ah, I totally misunderstood. So this is not a public event with a public announcement. It's a closed event to inform the retailers about the product and pre-orders etc.

I speak about the cancelled event Destination Playstation is for retailer. It seems they have another event in february and they cancel this one.

So I just watched PS4 Pro conference and one thing Mark Cerny said about rendering in 4K seemed interesting.

He said, brute forcing 4K resolution in console is possible, but it has big consequnces on price and console form factor, therefore they opted for custom solutions that will achieve maximum potential of 4K display without, well, brute forcing it.

I feel they will be going in same direction this time and will make system that is very powerful, but will not brute force power for sake of native 4K in every game. They will, IMO, go for a rounded hi tech experience instead of pushing for every 0.1 of TF (great hardware, RT, 3D audio, VR, new controller etc)

So I just watched PS4 Pro conference and one thing Mark Cerny said about rendering in 4K seemed interesting.

He said, brute forcing 4K resolution in console is possible, but it has big consequnces on price and console form factor, therefore they opted for custom solutions that will achieve maximum potential of 4K display without, well, brute forcing it.

I feel they will be going in same direction this time and will make system that is very powerful, but will not brute force power for sake of native 4K in every game. They will, IMO, go for a rounded hi tech experience instead of pushing for every 0.1 of TF (great hardware, RT, 3D audio, VR, new controller etc)

I don't think any console will be doing native 4k. It's a waste when temporal upscaling can get you 80-90% of the quality for 60% of the cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back