No DX12 Software is Suitable for Benchmarking *spawn*

Overall it seems like developers asked for more control thinking they knew better than device drivers and now we are finding out they vastly over estimated their own proficiency.

I dont see this as a fault of the API.

Well, at least it isn't as bad as Vulkan, at least if you go by RDR2. I'm going to assume that RDR2 was designed for DX12 as there is no Dx11 and AFAIK, no plans to port it to Dx11.

I do wonder if many AAA games will still support Dx11 once the new consoles launch.

Regards,
SB

New Probably also a lot to do with legacy game engines simply not designed for DX12?
Not so much, even Stardock's engine (which were the first truly designed engine for DX12) reverts to DX11 for some games, We've seen many modern games with modern engines with bad DX12 support as well, like Quantum Break, or Battlefield or Battlefront, hell practically all frostbite engine games have borked DX12 implementation, even Battlefield V which had the greatest incentive to do DX12 well (for it's DXR implementation). Even the RE engine (which is quite new) has had a bad DX12 path.

New Well, at least it isn't as bad as Vulkan, at least if you go by RDR2. I'm going to assume that RDR2 was designed for DX12 as there is no Dx11 and AFAIK, no plans to port it to Dx11.
Vulkan was implemented to satisfy Stadia's requirements, and I think situation of RDR2 is a mirror image of Quantum Break, where it was initially a DX12 only title, later it was ported to DX11 and gained speed as a result.
I do wonder if many AAA games will still support Dx11 once the new consoles launch.
If they will implement Ray Tracing, or AI acceleration, heavy physics, many core utilization ..etc, they will have to use DX12, so I think yeah, DX11 will be on the sidelines once these features become heavily utilized.

for Navi it doesn't improve fps at all, but it improves frame times in a significant way

Isn't that...good? :D How it preforms in relation to turing (or whatever) is meaningless.

Probably also a lot to do with legacy game engines simply not designed for DX12?

You don't say :smile: https://www.gdcvault.com/play/1024656/Advanced-Graphics-Tech-Moving-to

Try not to think of it as "DX12 is teh suxxor" or "Vulkan is a GCN construct" and think of it more as "Wow Nvidia's driver heroics in DX11 are quite good". Eventually though, even Nvidia's driver heroics will not be able to keep up. ;) DX12 and Vulkan are hard and will take a non-trivial amount of time (read: many years) for the ecosystem to fully utilize.

Isn't that...good? :D How it preforms in relation to turing (or whatever) is meaningless.
Yes good, but that's the bare bone minimum good, AMD could have optimized these frametimes themselves through their DX11 driver if they wanted to. The least we should expect from DX12 is some improvement to the overall game fps, especially for new GPUs.
;) DX12 and Vulkan are hard and will take a non-trivial amount of time (read: many years) for the ecosystem to fully utilize.
Yeah, we've established that already here, I just thought that maybe after whole 5 years, the ecosystem would have matured to a relatively palpable degree.

We only know that developers suck at DX12 because we have DX11 versions to compare to. What horrors will befall us when games go DX12 exclusive. We won’t even know that they suck :)

Depends on which engine they use. I'm fairly certain the real game engines will not have any issues with a DX12 path.

Depends on which engine they use. I'm fairly certain the real game engines will not have any issues with a DX12 path.
Define "real" game engine? What's an example engine and a game based on that engine with good DX12 performance?

Define "real" game engine? What's an example engine and a game based on that engine with good DX12 performance?

Some assumptions of at least solid DX12 engines:

UE: Unreal Engine
Unity.​

Some assumptions of at least solid DX12 engines:

Unity.​
You assume but just because they're the biggest doesn't mean they don't have a lot of problems with legacy structure and DX12 compared to their DX11 path. I'd like to know a good example of a game on PC that runs much better on DX12 than DX11 on either of those engines.

Gears 5. Does it have DX11 path? Sure seems to run well on One X.

Unity.
Unreal has had some of the worst DX12 implementations ever, Borderlands 3 comes to mind, also Fortnite and a game called The Turing Test .. etc.

Gears 1, Gears 4 and Gears 5 are DX12 only, but Gears 1 has had horrible DX12 problems as well with stuttering and bad frame pacing present to this day.

For Unity, I don't even know about any Unity game that supports DX12.

Gears 5. Does it have DX11 path? Sure seems to run well on One X.
Hard to qualify as an example since there's nothing to compare to. It does seem to be the poster-child for UE+DX12 but unfortunately nothing similar from MS and their 1P has performed as well on PC?

Unreal has had some of the worst DX12 implementations ever

BL3 is a horribly buggy hot mess, so I wouldn't use it as an example of anything at all. It does what no other game does so it's a-typical. It hard-crashes and reboots the XBox One / One X. That's the only game I have ever seen to do so.

Gears 1 Ultimate edition was much older and hasn't gotten the proper attention it needs.
Gears 5 is likely their current state as far as tuned Unreal Engine would go.

BL3 is a horribly buggy hot mess, so I wouldn't use it as an example of anything at all. It does what no other game does so it's a-typical. It hard-crashes and reboots the XBox One / One X. That's the only game I have ever seen to do so.
I told you about The Turing Test, it had a DX12 and a DX11 path, DX12 was consistently slower on my 1070 back in the day.

Deliver Us The Moon is a UE game that had to implement a DX12 path to serve DXR and RTX, I just compared the DX11 path to the DX12 path without RTX or DLSS on my 2080Ti, here are the results:
DX11: 72 fps
DX12: 64 fps

So the pattern is clear for UE games as well.

Back