Next-gen Cross-Platform Strategy [2020]

I imagine any developer presenting any kind of demo at the reveal will have to know a good 4-6 weeks ahead of time. i bet it's a pain in the ass to get something presentable this early. So i'm sure plenty of people outside of Sony know if something is happening soon (Feb)

If I'm understanding correctly. Killzone is being used as an example of a launch game i.e not impressive in scope or something?
Think a lot of context is being missed, apart from being simply a launch title.
They went from PS3 to PS4, different OS, totally different architecture, I'm sure the engine took more than a recompile and afternoon of optimization.

My point is what makes cross gen games easier, is actually what makes getting more out of next gen quicker possible.
  • Tools same
  • OS same (at least minimum expect the underlying OS to be the same)
  • Engine same
  • Architecture similar

So the isues with launch game development this time around is largely mitigated.
It wouldn't be years of research to take the same engine and do more on the CPU than is possible on current gen.
Same with SSD.

Before it took years for games because architecture fundamentally would change. Just not the case this time.
As a result, expect graphically at least for cross gen games to look impressive right away.

Not to belittle the work that goes into creating and over time modifying graphics and game engines, but asset creation (characters, levels, items, lighting, etc.) take the majority of development time and effort. While RT may reduce the time required for one part of the asset creation pipeline, we're going to see another large jump in development time if people want this generation's hardware to be exploited as much as is possible.

Now, one way to help mitigate that is to increase the size of development teams, but that's not an easy solution as coordinating large teams itself creates its own problems.

There are, of course, always exceptions. Dreams, for example, is a combination of creating an engine that does things completely different from your traditional 3D rasterized game, attempting to figure out how to make a game out of that engine, and creating assets for that engine.

Basically expect to see the following for this coming generation for development teams that attempt to exploit the hardware in the next generation consoles.
  • Greatly increased development time for titles that attempt to fully utilize the hardware.
  • Greatly increased development teams in an attempt to reduce how long it takes to create a title.
  • More likely a combination of those two, longer development time combined with larger development teams.
Regards,
SB

Don't want to sound harsh or something, but it doesn't seem you actually know facts, other then what you think is most likely. It isn't feasible that directly at launch we will see that many launch-line up games right from the start. Titles like HZD, GoW, last of us etc, normally come in first few years at best. Even in the PS2 days this was the case.

Edit: i don't doubt Sony will have a quicker and perhaps better AAA output overall then MS.

Did I say Last of US or God of War will come at launch? :mrgreen:, read my post. I said Ratchet and Clank, Bluepoint and Housemarque Games and probably other during 2021. I talk about HZD 2 for 2021, the preproduction began in 2017 and after the release of Frozen Wilds, it is in production. Bonus for optimized games the PS5 SSD will be faster than current SSD PCI-E 3 and PCI-E4 4 channels at consumer level all this 5,6 or 7 GB/s SSD, not Optane or the crazy Horus Gigabyte at 15 GB/s which are faster. Mark my word;) Like I said you can rage as much as you can, we are not far from the reveal. My word on this will be easy to verify when they will release the spec.

I don't know all but this one thing, I am 100% sure.

Last edited:
A gen exclusive game could easily have been in development for years by the time the consoles are released.
Unlike previous gens, most of the tools and asset pipelines can just be reused.

My main point is that the ramp up time to take advantage of these new consoles are a lot different now.
The same way supporting both gens this time is much more different than any other gen. It's actually easier to do.

The reasons and associated costs are different between 1P and 3P. 1P has a vested interest in trying to specifically push the platform than just simply game sales.

I prefer what devs think and there were multiple dev, one from Ubi for example liking the tweet of John Linneman.

A gen exclusive game could easily have been in development for years by the time the consoles are released.
Unlike previous gens, most of the tools and asset pipelines can just be reused.

My main point is that the ramp up time to take advantage of these new consoles are a lot different now.
The same way supporting both gens this time is much more different than any other gen. It's actually easier to do.

The reasons and associated costs are different between 1P and 3P. 1P has a vested interest in trying to specifically push the platform than just simply game sales.

This is not like going from the CELL to x86, the OS will be the same the API will be a continuation of the PS4 one. Before receiving devkit, they could work with Vega GPU and x86 CPU. And in the GitHub repo there are some traces of Vega 20.

And another thing, it is more difficult and long to create a new franchise. GG will take less time to do HZD2 without all the attempts during the preproduction process to find the right concept.

the PS5 SSD will be faster than current SSD PCIE 3 and PCIE4 4 channels at consumer level all this 5,6 or 7 GB/s SSD, not Optane or the crazy Horus Gigabyte at 15 GB/s which is much faster.

Great that you know the final specs :) Yes remasters is to be expected.

Like I said you can rage as much as you can, we are not far from the reveal.

Rage? :p I think we will see about what happened to PSX, PS2, PS3 and PS4. Most big hitters will come in the years after PS5 launched. MS and Sony both will have some impressive games during their lifetimes.

You can infer a lot from what Mark Cerny said to Wired, not how fast PS5's SSD will be but certainly that it's not slower than certain levels of performance.

Rage? :p I think we will see about what happened to PSX, PS2, PS3 and PS4. Most big hitters will come in the years after PS5 launched. MS and Sony both will have some impressive games during their lifetimes.

Did I say the best game will not arrive later. I said they will have much better games during first three years and a much better launch lineup than PS4. Nothing difficult.

I think the first big game will be HZD2 in 2021. But it is not meaning the launch games will be bad.

You can infer a lot from what Mark Cerny said to Wired, not how fast PS5's SSD will be but certainly that it's not slower than certain levels of performance.

No Mark Cerny said faster than PC SSD in Wired April before release of PCIE4 SSD.;) Now I said faster than consumer PCIE4 SSD. All people were thinking it is because it is PCIE 4 SSD. I will give the speed a few hours before reveal.

Reading the patent the table is not SSD speed but SSD speed multiply by compression ratio. Like I said wait and see.

cyh6am10.png

You make it difficult by not giving sources, or what games we can expect. Just 'it will be better' i hear every generation :p

I said Ratchet and Clank, Bluepoint Games(demon souls remake), Housemarque first AAA games, HZD 2... Did I say I know more than the general policy for exclusive games? After I don't need your approval. The same thing wait for the reveal, wait for the launch lineup, wait the first year, after the second one and the third one and compare each time with PS4. ;) Like the same just a matter of patience.

After the reveal, we will have a better idea about specs and launch lineup. If we have another event maybe we will see a little bit of 2021 games too.

Last edited:
Unless they are Nintendo-style reveals, meaning no specs, just demos of games and impacts.

Discussion on current topic.
Both Leadbetter and Linneman are agreeing it's a real worry and provide statements and examples from devs. I don't understand how this can be dismissed as concern trolling. It's a reasonable questionning. Small impact if it's just the first year though.

If Gran Turismo 7 ends up with gimped aerodynamics because it needs to run on jaguar, or HZD2 skip their idea of flight mecanics because it still needs to stream assets from the ps4 HDD, I will be really pissed.

I get the concern that they have about not having true next-gen games (even though I think they'll show up after year one and before the end of year two), but their examples of games that pushed the Xbox One as exclusive launch titles are a bunch of titles that struggled with sales because of the relatively small install base: Dead Rising 3, Ryse, Forza 5. Tomb Raider and Titanfall were not next-gen exclusives, and they were the best games of that bunch, except maybe Forza. On the other hand PS4 launched with no games for a year and trash exclusives like Knack, and it sold incredibly well because of the price and how well the multi-platform games ran(which were pretty much all cross-gen). I know a bunch of early adopters want their eye candy, but eye candy costs hundreds of millions of dollars now. I doubt Hellblade 2 will show up on Xbox One. The first year and a half will probably have two or three exclusive titles - the ones that have already been in development for two to three years.

This is nonsense there used to be massive jumps in games at launch compared to the previous gen. The jumps are not as perceivable to the casual gamer anymore but they still there.
When 360 launched I remember the reviews for Tony Hawk (American Wasteland?) and Gun were pretty down on the graphics, stating that it's hard to tell the difference from the original Xbox versions of those games unless you have an HDTV. The thing is, in HD those games look a generation apart, but display technology prevented many people from seeing it. I do think it's highly possible that we get launch games that don't look much better at 1080p than current generation games do, especially if you are coming from a One X or PS4 Pro.

I know there are articles about how fast 4K TV's are selling, but I can't be the only person in the world who owns a 4K TV but rarely plays games on it. That's my living room TV, I use it for watching shows and movies, but when I play games, it's usually on an older 1080p set in my den or bedroom, or on PC. Convenience is king, it's more important that quality.

When 360 launched I remember the reviews for Tony Hawk (American Wasteland?) and Gun were pretty down on the graphics, stating that it's hard to tell the difference from the original Xbox versions of those games unless you have an HDTV.

Maybe those two games but something like Ghost recon advanced warfighter looked amazing and way beyond anything on Xbox

Back