The Annual E3 Sony press conference thread, 2020 edition

Dont expect too much at launch.
I'm not, but let's be fair with one thing here. Their AAA budget 1st party exclusive native next gen title without the shackles of currentgen should blow everything out of the water. Even if it's only one or two titles.
All I'm saying is Sony getting too arrogant and that's a risky move on its own.

Context in terms of number of visitors over the course, but not necessarily by number of user's watching or following:

Gamescom 2019: 373k
ChinaJoy 2019: 365k
Brazil Games Show 2018: 325k
Taipei Game Show 2019: 320k
Paris Games Week 2018: 316k
Tokyo Game Show 2019: 262k
G-Star Korea 2018: 235k
E3 2019: 66k
The format sucks, long lines to get limited time to play demos which often actually chew into development time of titles. They can live stream their own showcase and offer demos in the cloud.

The format sucks, long lines to get limited time to play demos which often actually chew into development time of titles. They can live stream their own showcase and offer demos in the cloud.
I haven't known any sort of 'experience' that didn't have long lines to demo the games. I can't see a situation in which holding their own would stop this from happening. There will always be some titles that are more popular than others; people will line up

That reminds me to check for Stadia news...

I thought we were talking about streaming PS5 games before the release of the PS5? :p

Oops that would be a problem:D
Yeah streaming PS5 games wouldn't be advisable. I wonder if they going to give big streamers early hardware? As much as it pains me they seem to have a massive impact these days.

This does not come as any sort of surprise to me. As I said back in the 'Sony, No 2019 E3 Showing' thread, Sony withdrawing presence from these type of events has been an emergent pattern now for 3-4 years. As I also said, Sony have not announced new hardware at E3 since 2005. They've clearly felt E3 wasn't the event for an awful lot of big news for almost fifteen years.

Big companies just do not want to work around somebody else's PR timetable. :nope:

This does not come as any sort of surprise to me. As I said back in the 'Sony, No 2019 E3 Showing' thread, Sony withdrawing presence from these type of events has been an emergent pattern now for 3-4 years. As I also said, Sony have not announced new hardware at E3 since 2005. They've clearly felt E3 wasn't the event for an awful lot of big news for almost fifteen years.

Big companies just do not want to work around somebody else's PR timetable. :nope:
Not doing the hardware release there is fair enough. I thought they’d have their own February event for the hardware and then E3 just for the games. That’s what MS did with the One X (although they left it to Digital Foundry to do the hardware talk, which I thought worked very well) and then games, games & more games at E3.

Really sad to see E3 crumbling like this...Comparing attendance numbers does not make alot of sense IMO as this is more of a press show then anything else. But, in any case, Sony not coming back to E3 is a bit unfortunate.

Sony had some crazy good E3s (2009/2013) and some stinkers (2006), but there will likely never be one like E3 2005. That show was such a blast, only crazy Ken could make that work. Talking about TFs, GB/s, pixel shaders, bringing leather jacket man on stage, Killzone/Motorstorm CGi renders. Damn, good times...

Just have it be playable over PSNow for limited time. Scales out amazingly better than any specific event.
Theoretically great, but realistically, how many millions would want a taste? So Sony would have to stack their PSNow centres with PS5 hardware to steam demos, and then have no hardware left to sell to gamers. For showcasing current-gen games though, it seems like a good idea. Then again, it could be used now for instant demos, too, but game demos have been decreasing rather than increasing.

I believe they don’t feel E3 aligns with their needs anymore. As in they don’t want to do an industry show. They want to do an experience show. More customer focus; less industry focus
Which IMO tallies with their PS5 marketing to date, which isn't about numbers but features. I think this is Sony's positioning/marketing strategy, same as many other corporations these days.

Last edited:
Which IMO tallies with their PS5 marketing to date, which isn't about numbers but features. I think this is Sony's positioning/marketing strategy, same as many other corporations these days.
Yea I believe the reveal would be a separate event. I just figured they would bolster their coverage of PS5 during E3. I guess I was wrong.

I hope this works out for them. Not sure how MS will respond; I suspect they won’t. But they need to plan for the eventuality that Sony is never returning and how to build a conference around that.

Sony sure has the resources to be there @E3? They could be doing all their own shows anyway, plus the E3 then. Their last E3 was bad, but this year they have a new console. But maybe it is not that important to them as we see it. It is just a console/toy for gaming afterall.

Back