Next-gen Cross-Platform Strategy [2020]

Just curious since i don't know, but was Nintendo heavily penalized for having Zelda BOTW on both WiiU and Switch?
While i don't know anyone that got it on WiiU, everyone was still very happy to play it on switch.

Were there discussions of limitations and downgrades?
Nintendo could port their games to a gamecube and the gameplay would be exactly the same.

Not really comparable.
Is the switch better than the wii u, sure. But not to the same degree where talking about here.
Nintendo marches to beat of their very own unique drum.
Do you think people would be as excepting if Sony or MS launched a system with that level of performance?
no probably not.

My general feel on this is that there have only been a few categories of games that really required CPU and I suppose even less so games that required something like more HDD speeds to affect gameplay. I'm guessing most of us are older, so these titles should be known.
Starcraft 1/2 Warcraft 1-3, Command Conquer, Myth, World of Warcraft, Diablo 3, Age of Kings, etc these games required CPU to play. These games were all about high unit counts, high effects, chain effect, AI, health etc. And you'd suffer insane slowdowns for a lack of memory or CPU. And of course other games in which the AI is making some serious choices.

This whole subset of games doesn't even exist on console.

The only genre of game that has released this generation that actually shows it needs more CPU and more disk, are battle royale games. It just has to do with the number of entities in the game. Doors open, doors closed, windows, ammo, guns, vehicles, health, etc. There's so much that is constantly being updated and you can see so far with different scopes. The CPU is constantly being hammered with updating values on the map. And that's why every other battle royale game has had less than 100 players dropping in. Because the game has no performance and PUBG struggles to maintain performance.

Every other reason we've needed more CPU is for running the engine better. That's it, and that has become an extension of graphics. More stuff on screen, more effects. most of this generation has been open world / narrative titles. And that's not needing CPU for gameplay. That's just needing CPU for the engine to get through so much density they've layered in. And Sony for instance, their niche types of games are single player, action/narrative/RPGs 3rd person over the shoulder type games. If you go the route of designing the title to require more CPU for AI, then you'd need less enemies on the screen. So now you're like dark souls. If you have too many of these highly intelligent AIs, you can't win. So you either balance it by making them easier to kill then. So you're left with... Dead Rising. And every zombie like game where you are chased by a lot of dumb weak units.

Then you had god of war which is this midpoint. But that midpoint can't change. Cause less than that midpoint, you got Dark Souls. More than that midpoint, you got dead rising.

Flip the genre to first person shooters, and you're in between something like Bioshock (less units) and Serious Sam (most units)
Same problems.

You see these are design issues, not CPU issues. And I can't see a situation where someone could magically take a narrative game (in which by narrative I mean a game on story rails), and make it so dynamic and be faithful to staying on those rails. They are opposites in design. One is the nature of letting random things happen, and a story arises from the experience of it. And the other is, nothing is random and the story is told.

You know you have CPU issues when your game looks like shit and still plays like shit but it's an optimized title. And we didn't make a lot of types of games this generation. The population doesn't want games that are hard. I'm not sure if we'll ever be wowed again like we were when we were young. VR might be the last 'wow'. The tutorials are getting easier. The population wants to be told what to do. What to feel. It's a sad state of affairs. There's a reason even WoW re-released WoW Classic. Because that shit is hard compared to what WoW is today. Sunset overdrive might be an exception to the rule, but I don't quite recall everything it's been so long - I think that's mainly streaming tech.

Hard drive requirements (aside from space), I've never seen it before. SC might be the first game and only game i know of that actually has some sort of hard drive requirement (for data speeds). And to think narrative titles will require both hard drive requirement and CPU requirements in the first year of launch. I just don't believe it.

Solve the design issues first. Otherwise ... it's just graphics and most graphics will scale.

Last edited:
Because games have had to be developed with the CPU profiles that the jaguar has, doesn't mean that it wasn't limiting them a lot in vision and scope. Just didn't have a choice in the matter.
In fact probably didn't even consider some things from the start as knew wouldn't be possible.

So when you look at a game regardless how well or badly it performs, doesn't mean it wasn't designed around that level of performance. All it means is how well they hit the mark.

I for one can't wait to see what studios bring us above and beyond simply nicer graphics.

Because games have had to be developed with the CPU profiles that the jaguar has, doesn't mean that it wasn't limiting them a lot in vision and scope. Just didn't have a choice in the matter.
In fact probably didn't even consider some things from the start as knew wouldn't be possible.

So when you look at a game regardless how well or badly it performs, doesn't mean it wasn't designed around that level of performance. All it means is how well they hit the mark.

I for one can't wait to see what studios bring us above and beyond simply nicer graphics.
Yea you are right. I think interactivity in the worlds is probably the first thing that gets cut. At least when I think about narrative games, I think about what you can interact with. More objects you can interact with, the more CPU you need. But that doesn't mean you can get away from design challenges and that doesn't mean developers weren't prioritizing graphics over interactivity for this gen. I think we could have had very interact-able worlds (and in some ways we did, with fallout for example) at the expense of graphics. In Half Life Alex, where they use VR hands to move aside the boxes to shoot through the shelf. That is an example of the type of thing you'd come to expect from a lot more CPU availability. You still have design challenges, VR is really intuitive for that type of thing though.

I look forward to it as well.

Damn, that is very impressive.

Are you working for Sony, or a first party developer? I see you everywhere, on different forums claiming things that no-one else so far seems to know about. I highly doubt that MS won't exploit their hardware at all. I'm very certain though that we will see games doing that, even on their platform, if that might be at launch or later is another thing. In general, every Xbox since 2001 had games exploiting the hardware. Now with more focus on 1st party AAA games instead of TV and Kinect, i doubt there's something to worry about here.
We already have SC doing just that, taking advantage of even Optane SSD's, massive amounts of RAM and GPU power, and last but not least CPU.

Rockstar pushed about everything this gen, and they will again next generation. More so perhaps then even Sony's own studios. Rockstar has the resources and a mountain of a team of experts. XSX having most likely having the same SSD tech as Sony, i doubt what your claiming anyway.
On top of that, i read on another forum someone doing a test, and the conclusion was that Sony's spider-man SSD demo could have been around 2000mb/s. No one can be sure, but this isn't the baseless topic, i doubt there will be anything else then NVME in there, just like the Xbox. Both consoles (and PC) wont be far off from eachother in practital performance.

It has never happened before, chances are small it will next-gen, in special thinking that tech jumps arent that huge anymore.

How do you know this? Has Sony announced what games will be available for only PS5 and when?

Exactly, launch lineups never have been spectacular, what MS has said isn't a disadvantage, its reality. Game development has gotten more and more time consuming and therefore more expensive. With smaller jumps in power between consoles/tech, chances are small we will see a huge difference to the past 25 years of gaming.

Which means you have a crystal ball which tells you exactly what's gonna happen in the future :) It could be another PS360 generation aswell. PS2 outclassed XB on every aspect regarding software. That didn't really translate into the 7th gen.

Well, that is exactly what he ment. I highly doubt the devs are going forward with another attempt.

Wait and see the reveal, we are not far from it. ;) It is not an if but when the SSD speed difference will be told you will understand why Rockstar can't fully exploit it. Here the same 99.9999% chance it will be the case. And I don't have a crystal ball, I just know people working in the videogame industry.

Same for the first three years of PS5 compared to PS4, it will be much better for exclusive games. Because Sony knows what was well-done current generation and what was a problem and they have been working for a long time(2017/2018) to solve the problem.

Last edited:
Maybe you should be verified, so we can engulf us more in this change for the first time in 20+ years. You happen to know what games they are?

Maybe you should be verified, so we can engulf us more in this change for the first time in 20+ years. You happen to know what games they are?

No just the general policy for Sony exclusive game and for the specs this is not final too maybe the MS SSD will make a huge jump and the PS5 GPU will improve because I don't have the last information(3rd party for specs). Things change but this is what I have for the moment. XSX GPU > PS5 GPU and PS5 SSD > XSX SSD.

After we are not far from the reveal, in a few months all will be known.

EDIT: After this is pretty easy to guess some of the games coming soon. A new Ratchet and Clank, probably the new Housemarque game, Horizon Zero Dawn 2 for 2021, Blue Point game(Demon soul's remake?) and probably other...

Last edited:
Do they have plans for the CPU and SSD in which can't be back ported to this gen?

The first party games will be there to show the capacity of the hardware. For example read the first interview of Mark Cerny in Wired and they said in 2015 when they ask what devs want they said SSD. All SIE patents for SSD were were filed in 2015 and 2016, I suppose first party work since day one knowing the PS5 will have a SSD. Sony prepare the PS5 since 2015.

I don't know if launch game will fully show it but at least in 2021 I am sure a game will be ready to show part of what the hardware is capable of. Like always it will improve during the generation but I suppose a few games will be able to show sooner what it is possible to do. First one will probably be HZD2.

I dont expect much difference in multiplayer versus matches, still going to have the multi-minutes searching for a match and the interlude between matches to allow players to take quick drink and piss breaks. Just once it sorts out who's in the match it'll load nearly instantly.

The first party games will be there to show the capacity of the hardware. For example read the first interview of Mark Cerny in Wired and they said in 2015 when they ask what devs want they said SSD. All SIE patents for SSD were were filed in 2015 and 2016, I suppose first party work since day one knowing the PS5 will have a SSD. Sony prepare the PS5 since 2015.

I don't know if launch game will fully show it but at least in 2021 I am sure a game will be ready to show part of what the hardware is capable of. Like always it will improve during the generation but I suppose a few games will be able to show sooner what it is possible to do. First one will probably be HZD2.
I mean your connections, do you know if they have any plans on using this for launch window games?

I mean your connections, do you know if they have any plans on using this for launch window games?

Like I said they will try as much as possible to show what the hardware is capable of asap. And did I say my connection works on launch games?

All game will try to show what the hardware is able to do. It is the goal of Sony first party games.

It has never happened before, chances are small it will next-gen, in special thinking that tech jumps arent that huge anymore.

This is nonsense there used to be massive jumps in games at launch compared to the previous gen. The jumps are not as perceivable to the casual gamer anymore but they still there.

Launch line up has never been that impressive, ps2, ps3, even ps4. High budget aaa games usually appear later in the consoles lifetime.

Launch line up has never been that impressive, ps2, ps3, even ps4. High budget aaa games usually appear later in the consoles lifetime.

We have seen better but Killzone Shadow Fall, Ryse Son of Rome and Infamous Second Son visually were ok. This time they are better prepared. We are maybe at less than one month of PS5 reveal. Wait and See. ;)

I don't know when the reveal is but first half of february is a possibility.

We have seen better but Killzone Shadow Fall, Ryse Son of Rome and Infamous Second Son visually were ok. This time they are better prepared. We are maybe at less than one month of PS5 reveal. Wait and See. ;)

I don't know when the reveal is but first half of february is a possibility.

You mean like February 5th?

:D

No I don't know

Don't want to sound harsh or something, but it doesn't seem you actually know facts, other then what you think is most likely. It isn't feasible that directly at launch we will see that many launch-line up games right from the start. Titles like HZD, GoW, last of us etc, normally come in first few years at best. Even in the PS2 days this was the case.

Edit: i don't doubt Sony will have a quicker and perhaps better AAA output overall then MS.

Back