Sony PlayStation 5 Retail Shape? *spawn*

One would hope a V shape would be due to an engineering decision of real practical value. Kinda like, XBSX isn't a big X shape, for good reason. ;)
Sure, but from design perspective having both 5 and V in any form would conflict corporate design. And you know that's way more important than TF, RT, SSD together :D
So i bet they already found another way to put holes into the box.

Hopefully they will make it cool enough without sounding like a jet taking off
Noise cancelling tech is very good against jet engine sound, maybe they can use the built in 3D audio engine to cancel that noise:rolleyes:
I agree that silent operation is the most important, I won't look at the box while gaming. If it's ugly I can learn to insert new game discs with my eyes closed.

For PS4 they combined the slanted shape (from the 4) with a functionnal purpose: it mandated some space at the back for air flow and it was a good looking design (for some).

I think they want to do a similair thing with PS5. They are going to use the V (5) shape in order to increase the surface area to increase cooling efficiency, reduce noise and maybe make a cool design ?

How are they going to do with PS6 ? I wonder. I am afraid to think about it even. :yep2:

It remains weird, nothing adds up completely, like why would the back vents be so close to the sides? Are they part of the same cavity as the side vents, which are also angled back?

sony-ps5-development-kit_d2be.jpg

That would be my guess. Looking at the design drawings, the back "plate" holding the ports of the console look to be roughly in line with the back of the V. So each side is likely its own self contained pocket of air. I'm assuming that those slanted fish gill side vents are functional rather than decorative. That would allow for more uniform and less restricted air flow to cool the greatest amount of area possible.

WRT cooling it looks to be fairly efficient with an eye towards not having runaway sound generation. However, it also looks like a nightmare to keep dust free. :p

Also, something I didn't notice the first time I saw this diagram. There's tabs on the right side of the console so that you can stand it vertically.

Regards,
SB

For PS4 they combined the slanted shape (from the 4) with a functionnal purpose: it mandated some space at the back for air flow and it was a good looking design (for some).

I think they want to do a similair thing with PS5. They are going to use the V (5) shape in order to increase the surface area to increase cooling efficiency, reduce noise and maybe make a cool design ?

How are they going to do with PS6 ? I wonder. I am afraid to think about it even. :yep2:

How about PS 69

Just take two PS4s, turn one upside down and stack them to form a chevron on the side view.

>=>

<=<

Totally not a sly remark about duct tape or butterflies or mirrors or twins, Basil.

Last edited:
The thing about grills is that noise and restriction is exponential of velocity.
Which is great in theory, but in all my born days, noise from computing devices has come from fan noise, not air intake/exhaust noise. How much airflow is expected here? Is PSV supposed to double as a room heater? ;)

Which is great in theory, but in all my born days, noise from computing devices has come from fan noise, not air intake/exhaust noise. How much airflow is expected here? Is PSV supposed to double as a room heater? ;)
On PS4 it's from air intake / exhaust.

Tun your PS4 until it transformed into a jet. Pop off the top cover

Instant quiet

Isn't that because the fan slows down as it's now venting out a huge area? When my PS4 is loud, it's the dan I'm hearing more than anything. The blow out the back can be felt but it's not noticeable audible. Maybe I need to have a better listen?

Isn't that because the fan slows down as it's now venting out a huge area? When my PS4 is loud, it's the dan I'm hearing more than anything. The blow out the back can be felt but it's not noticeable audible. Maybe I need to have a better listen?
Could be, but the noise change was instanous.

Fan rpm change usually are not that instant, at least on PC

My base PS4 is very loud, especially in 60FPS games. A family members Pro is much quiter (2018 model). it seems that not all PS4's are equally loud.

It remains weird, nothing adds up completely, like why would the back vents be so close to the sides? Are they part of the same cavity as the side vents, which are also angled back?

Yep, it's weird ... also side vents on design patent are angled back and on real thing are angled to front.

Looks classy, but could only be positioned flat? Also far too small unless Sony choose a lower performance console to keep it petite. Or the controller is now massive. :p
If you check one of the sides, it does allow for vertical placement

Back