Sony PlayStation 5 Retail Shape? *spawn*

ENjS2hbUYAArfdy
I previously said I didn't care what it looks like.... But if it looks like this I'm tearing it down and using the exposed motherboard instead.

Do we know how is airflow in devkits?

Case 1. or 2. and it is airflow on both sides of V shape or just one?
ps5d.jpg

Case 1. makes more sense to me and if there is airflow in both sides do we know what is cooled on each side?

Probably the motherboard is at the bottom of the devkit so there are heat sinks on both sides connected to copper tubes down to the APU etc. The fans are a bit more tricky, maybe they are using long fans like they do on AC systems like this?
images

Last edited:

ps5d.jpg

Case 1. makes more sense to me and if there is airflow in both sides do we know what is cooled on each side?
Case 2 makes more sense if you’re going to stack consoles ontop of each other. Case 1 has very limited air intake if something sits ontop. Really just a tiny slit. And the rack won’t be able to get cooling into there.

ps5d.jpg

Really difficult to figure out without seeing where the heat sources are, but I'd guess neither.

Outlet in the back, it's fins are designed to push straight out. (see design patents)
Inlet would be the V, otherwise it pushes air directly under another stacked device.
The side vents would be passive convection vents to avoid trapped heat in either orientation. Or maybe the side vents are also active outlets.

It remains weird, nothing adds up completely, like why would the back vents be so close to the sides? Are they part of the same cavity as the side vents, which are also angled back?

sony-ps5-development-kit_d2be.jpg

Last edited:
What's the importance of the V in improving airflow? The way I see it, if you had that grill across a straight front, and you're exhausting air out the back at the same rate regardless (determined by fan speed), then you'll just be sucking in air a bit faster at the front than if you have the larger area of the V. It won't actually change the amount of air moving through the system and will at best be a little quieter as the airflow up front will be slower for the same volume versus a smaller flat intake. Thus I don't see that the V helps with airflow. The only way that really makes sense is to have two separate intakes so the left side is cooled independently of the right for some reason.

If the V is an exhaust, it'd be less efficient than a long, flat exhaust at the front as you have two pressures from either side being funnelled into a narrower width at the front.

This thing really make no sense at all!

What's the importance of the V in improving airflow? The way I see it, if you had that grill across a straight front, and you're exhausting air out the back at the same rate regardless (determined by fan speed), then you'll just be sucking in air a bit faster at the front than if you have the larger area of the V. It won't actually change the amount of air moving through the system and will at best be a little quieter as the airflow up front will be slower for the same volume versus a smaller flat intake. Thus I don't see that the V helps with airflow. The only way that really makes sense is to have two separate intakes so the left side is cooled independently of the right for some reason.

If the V is an exhaust, it'd be less efficient than a long, flat exhaust at the front as you have two pressures from either side being funnelled into a narrower width at the front.

This thing really make no sense at all!
The thing about grills is that noise and restriction is exponential of velocity. The V would have half the velocity than an equivalent front grill (which would be half the area), so 4 times less restriction and noise. If you calculate the open area in front of the V when it's stacked, the velocity can be higher since there isn't a million slits to create hissing noise and obstruction. The lower the velocity through a grill the lower the noise, so surface area is everything, either for inlet or outlet totals.

Edit: aaah! Beaten!

Last edited:
What's the importance of the V in improving airflow?

I don't think it's the V per se but the use of a chassis design that increases the total external surface area to allow for more intakes/vents over the conventional six-sided console (front/back/sides/top/bottom).

Guess because it's now 5 not V for sure, there is no more reason for a V shape.
One would hope a V shape would be due to an engineering decision of real practical value. Kinda like, XBSX isn't a big X shape, for good reason. ;)

But somewhere, i don't care how it looks, aslong as we get more then one or two AAA exclusives in the first couple of years. Mostly with a new PS (or any console), there is a distinct lack of first party exclusives in the first year/two years.

Looks classy, but could only be positioned flat? Also far too small unless Sony choose a lower performance console to keep it petite. Or the controller is now massive. :p
Yes that's it. Sony said they have increased the size of the DS5, they made it super sized, haha.

Back