Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
It all depends how much you read into Cerney's explantion of the butterfly/mirror layout of the GPU. He made it sound like that was the ideal way to do it but who knows maybe that isn't neceassry.

If you just want a simple solution, it's ideal, and I'm sure that's what Sony were going for. It's incredibly unlikely they'd have had significantly more sales of 4Pro if it had they had gone to town on expense to make a more XBX-level solution.

Navi 10 is 40CU GPU. On 7nm node it is:

20% larger then Pitcairn used for PS4
10% larger then Polaris used in PS4Pro

That is without counting any RT logic PS will posses.

It is also :

70% more expensive then Pitcairn was at the time of PS4 release

100% more expensive then RX470 was at time of Pro release.

So, 40CUs do fit in, and TDP wise, its probably even bigger increase from PS4/Pro then die size is. The fact that 36CUs would perfectly match Cernys "butterfly" design is only bonus :)

Can you explain why the Pro needed 64 ROPs.
If half the GPU is off in BC mode, and it has 32 ROPs, turning the other half on leaves a question as to how the other CUs can export data.
GCN has a max 16 ROPs per SE--so it can't have more than 32 ROPs on one side and we can't have less overall. There are 4 SEs in Pro mode, so either a major architectural change was made, or Sony just went with what GCN naturally implies. (edit: accidentally omitted the 4 from the last sentence)

Navi 10 is 40CU GPU. On 7nm node it is:

20% larger then Pitcairn used for PS4
10% larger then Polaris used in PS4Pro

It's been disclosed elsewhere that the PS4's GPU comes from the Southern Islands family, which doesn't include Pitcairn. (late edit: Sea Islands)
There are some ways to interpret public information that lean towards the Pro having Southern Islands as its basis.
If you believe the github tests can be used as evidence, the PS4 Pro was not based on Polaris because backwards compatibility drops the scalar memory writes introduced after Southern Islands.

Last edited:
Quick hack to get a 36 cu weak turd to 13 tf, increase IPC to x3.
Also Jimmy boy’s big unannounced unique ps5 feature is actual next gen ps5 launch titles compared to all cross gen for the competition lol.

It's been disclosed elsewhere that the PS4's GPU comes from the Southern Islands family, which doesn't include Pitcairn.
There are some ways to interpret public information that lean towards the Pro having Southern Islands as its basis.
If you believe the github tests can be used as evidence, the PS4 Pro was not based on Polaris because backwards compatibility drops the scalar memory writes introduced after Southern Islands.
Pitcairn is not part of Southern Islands?
PS4 GPU seems to be pretty much cut down HD7870 which had 20CUs (18CU in PS4) / 80TMUs (72 in PS4) / 256bit bus (same) / 2 ACEs (4 in PS4).

You would have to say that GPU PS4 was based on, or at least had relative match in terms of specs is cut down HD7870.

Point I was trying to make was more about what we percieve too little or too much for upcoming console generation. On one hand, TF increase has slown down, on other stock 5700 outperforms Vega64 with relative ease (and alot of people would kill for Vega 64 perf in a console a year ago).

On third hand (? :D ) 5700/5700XT also have higher TDP, price (considerably) and die size then either PS4 or PS4 Pro GPU "equivalents" had at time of release.

So, yea, perhaps nothing about BC is actually holding them to 36 active CUs on chip (although I would have to check Cernys patent in details), but my point is - it fits perfectly with or without BC.

Quick hack to get a 36 cu weak turd to 13 tf, increase IPC to x3.
Also Jimmy boy’s big unannounced unique ps5 feature is actual next gen ps5 launch titles compared to all cross gen for the competition lol.
It's actually clocked at 2.5ghz, thus exceeding 17TFs. SMH, just when you thought silly season couldn't get any more ridiculous.

Pitcairn was Southern Islands.
I should have stated the PS4 was Sea Islands, but I got my islands mixed up.
I should also state that, while I am still holding onto that thought, there is interesting config macro tab in Oberon regression file, stating usage of 2.00GHz as SCLK, which in next column signifies "upperlimit" (100%).

I assume they could have used any for testing, but it does point to perhaps 2.0GHz not being native clock at all but upperlimit one.

If this gen was anything to go by exclusive launch titles aren't much more than glorified tech demos. Given the cost of game development these days I'd be a bit wary of paying full price for any game that's being developed exclusively for a launch install base. This strategy really makes no sense in 2020.

If this gen was anything to go by exclusive launch titles aren't much more than glorified tech demos. Given the cost of game development these days I'd be a bit wary of paying full price for any game that's being developed exclusively for a launch install base. This strategy really makes no sense in 2020.
You vastly underestimate the importance of exclusive launch tech demos, they do exactly what they're intended to do which is to showcase the tech of a new gen that's impossible on last gen. They are a crowd pleaser, a new benchmark, hype generator and last but not the least, system seller. 1st party games such as these don't have to worry about initial returns, they are more than likely reimbursed or subsidised by the mother company whether through service, games or whatever. 3rd party exclusives are already made in sweet deals right from the start where everything is taken into account of. I don't see anything concerning at all come 2020. In fact I'd wager without those at launch, people would more than likely lose interest, jumpship or sitting on the fence till such titles arrive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back