Building a new pc : ryzen 5 2600, gtx 1660 super, 2x8GB ddr4 3200mhz cl16

Funny story. My son came down about a half hour later looking dejected. I asked what's wrong, he replied that he loaded up Devil May Cry and lost 15fps! He swore he hadn't changed anything so figured we'd messed it up or the upgrade wasn't that good, I knew he was wrong and that was impossible so asked him to double-check the settings since super-scaling was enabled. Yup, turned out it set itself to 4K behind his back after the upgrade. He put it back to his 1080 setting and it ran a rock solid 60fps. :)

He was suddenly very, very happy again. He also can't believe the boot time, his last set-up was so borked it took 20 minutes to boot! Yeah, I'd been trying to get him to reinstall to fix that but he kept putting it off until upgrade. We timed it, it took less time to re-install windows than it did for his old PC to boot.

With PSU, motherboard, case.. Totaling ~350 USD

I hope I won't get any defective products as returns are quite annoying in Indonesia.

Will assemble it in a week or two when I'm home.

Anyway, now I just realized that I forgot to budget for Windows 10 license ~/[°_°]/

Should have posted this here before I bough them....

I also read somewhere that DDR4 RAM could have compatibility issues with motherboard, making it run in lower mhz (albeit on the other hand you'll be able to lower the CL)

Ugh..
Hopefully I won't get hit by any bugs or edge cases as I'm buying an old cpu with an old chipset (b450)
did you actually manage to buy that PC at that price? I am so surprised if you did. Your PC is an absolute overkill for that price. Am I missing something?

Still, congrats on your purchase, the components are really good.

You should not have issues with the Ryzen 2600 or using a B450 motherboard. Just be sure to use the latest BIOS for the motherboard.

I am retiring my original HTPC from 2011 that used an Intel Q9300 processor on a 775 motherboard.

Over the Black Friday/Cyber Monday weekend I was able to procure an AMD Ryzen 2700X / ASRock B450M Pro4 combo deal for $194 USD including taxes at my local Microcenter.

The motherboard (https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/B450M Pro4) came with the latest BIOS version 3.60. As for RAM I purchased Team T-Force Vulcan Z 8GB (2x 4GB) DDR4-3200 (TLRED48G3200HC16CDC01) for $40 USD when it was on a fire sale last July.

The RAM and Processor worked flawlessly in the B450 motherboard out of the box. Even enabling the XMP mode and running the memory at 3200 MHz had no issues. I then tweaked the memory settings using the "DRAM Calculator for Ryzen" (https://www.techpowerup.com/download/ryzen-dram-calculator) and got it to run at CL14 settings again flawlessly. So even if the RAM is not on the OVL list doesn't exclude it from working.

It is best to use Memtest86 for testing memory stability especially if it is tweaked: https://www.memtest86.com

Windows 10 was free because I used the code from an old Windows 7 COA sticker.

Case was no cost because it came from a previous HTPC build.

Power supply is a Raidmax 735 watt for $35 after rebate

Video card is an old Maxwell GTX 750 for HTPC use. Again from the original HTPC.

Total cost for upgrading my HTPC is $194+$40+$35 = $269.

Since I edit out commercials and transcode using the CPU (best details) I needed an 8-core modern processor and the AMD Ryzen 2700X (http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Zen/AMD-Ryzen 7 2700X.html) fit the bill nicely.

Since the HTPC is on 24/7 I will also be mining Monero (XMR) using XMRig (https://github.com/xmrig/xmrig/releases/tag/v5.2.0) to help defer the cost further. The extra heat in the living room in winter is also a bonus.
some nice stuff in there. Switch to another GPU and you are good to go. As for mining, I once tried with my rig and I felt bad, as if I was prostituting it.

some nice stuff in there. Switch to another GPU and you are good to go. As for mining, I once tried with my rig and I felt bad, as if I was prostituting it.

The rig is for my new HTPC that runs 24/7 and the Nvidia Maxwell GTX 750 fits the bill nicely as it has a HDMI port and is low power and gets all it's power from the PCIe slot. This PC is not going to be doing gaming so not necessary for a more modern GPU.

Monero mining on this system is a bonus and is nice to actually offset the power usage costs and make some extra money.

Current Monero profitability is $92 above power costs:
https://www.cryptocompare.com/minin...umption=105&CostPerkWh=0.09&MiningPoolFee=1.0

did you actually manage to buy that PC at that price? I am so surprised if you did. Your PC is an absolute overkill for that price. Am I missing something?

Still, congrats on your purchase, the components are really good.

thanks, but nah, in the end its around 500 dollars, after choosing higher priced parts and failed to get a deeper discount voucher

f**k me $500 = 6.8 million Indonesian Rupiah
orangelupa is a billionaire

you also can be a billionaire, come to Indonesia, buy cheap lands, enjoy holidays like a king complete with personal butlers, maids, chauffeur....

like seriously, i think you even can buy a whole island (was pretty popular a few years ago where foreigners "marry" indonesian and buy islands in their wife name, dunno still popular or not).

Digi your build isnt finished yet
BxNwrzC.jpg

*RANT MODE*

So I want a 3800x the default memory speed is 3200mhz I also want 32gb (2x16gb) and rgb lighting(childish I know)
I was looking at the Gigabyte X570 GAMING X (AMD AM4) DDR4 X570 ATX MOTHERBOARD.
But I cant buy it. why not you ask

So I brought up all the qualifying memory on the web site and checked them all against the memory QVL for the motherboard
and none of the memory on sale is on the QVL

*further rant* not only does this board have a QVL for ram but it also has one for sata ssd's - Great I also have to check to see if my ssd will work

*RANT MODE*

So I want a 3800x the default memory speed is 3200mhz I also want 32gb (2x16gb) and rgb lighting(childish I know)
I was looking at the Gigabyte X570 GAMING X (AMD AM4) DDR4 X570 ATX MOTHERBOARD.
But I cant buy it. why not you ask

So I brought up all the qualifying memory on the web site and checked them all against the memory QVL for the motherboard
and none of the memory on sale is on the QVL

*further rant* not only does this board have a QVL for ram but it also has one for sata ssd's - Great I also have to check to see if my ssd will work

My super cheap, Indonésia local brand "vgen" ram works at xmp2 speed and it was not in the compatibility list for my motherboard.

Maybe look for the chips? What brands was listed as compatible, and it uses what chip.

That vgen local brand guarantee the chips will be Korean made, so I suspected they use sk hynix.

I'm going by manufacturer code eg: CMW32GX4M2Z3200C16
thats Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO Black 32GB 3200 MHz AMD Ryzen Tuned DDR4 Memory Kit
and its not supported by the board I was thinking of buying

This is all the info Gigabyte supply
UyqCV4g.jpg

Last edited:
I'm going by manufacturer code eg: CMW32GX4M2Z3200C16
thats Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO Black 32GB 3200 MHz AMD Ryzen Tuned DDR4 Memory Kit
and its not supported by the board I was thinking of buying

This is all the info Gigabyte supply
UyqCV4g.jpg

What indicates they "Ryzen Tuned"? They're definitely not B-die, like Micron. It's going to be a crap shoot as to whether they work at full speed or not.

Back