Best 4K HDR TV's for One X, PS4 Pro [2017-2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aren't LG's OLEDs actually at a significantly lower cost than FALD TVs at the moment? At least the B series seem to be.

You can find OLEDs cheaper than FALDs but all things being equal, i.e. comparing like for like (feature sets of low-end TVs against other low-end TVs, high-end against high-end, no flash sales), OLED sets generally remain the more expensive manufacturing technology. Nobody has managed to get the mass production of the organic components anywhere near low enough to compete except in smaller screens for wearables and phones.

Plus, OLED production has been ramping up constantly. Right now everyone is buying the panels from LG but with Samsung entering the race I think prices are probably going down even more.

Samsung have re-entered the OLED race. They were in but withdrew. Samsung were the first to offer a 55" OLED back in 2012 - the ES9500. But Samsung will make whatever the wider market demands, both as a manufacturer selling to consumers and as a component manufacturer selling to TV builders.

I've nothing against OLED and was quite prepared to invest this year in a good OLED but like plasma, the superior contrast comes with a few unfortunate drawbacks (more power, hotter, not as bright, burn-in) so buying one in 2020 when mini-LED is emerging is a great which offers the best of LCD/LED and OLED without the disadvantages. What I think has really hampered OLED is it's unsuitability for certain tasks like general computing where the burn-in of menu bars and desktop icons, which tend to sit there for hours/weeks/months/years, would be a problem. Display tech tends to get cheaper the more widespread it's useless becomes and it just feels like folks have abandoned that OLED dream.

Maybe where you live it's different but there isn't that much of a gap anymore between OLED and LCD when comparing models with similar features and IQ.

There is a reason OLED TV's are pretty much always the recommend models to get in every price range apart from low end budget models.

Also, oled is everywhere apart from the PC space and even that is (very) slowly changing.

Seems to be huge difference around 2x the costs in the US when comparing 65" 4K HDR LED to 65" 4K HDR OLED: data points of TCL 65R625 for under $800 vs OLED for over $1600 or more.

OLED dominates the price band above $1500 or 2000.

Maybe also above $1000.

Samsung OLED is going to take at least a couple of years to refine. It's going to be costly but they have no choice, they're being left behind in the high price segment. They're using quantum dot to differentiate with WOLED of LG, as well as not run afoul of patents.

One thing which will be a problem with Samsung is that they refuse to license Dolby Vision so if you're paying a premium price, you want all the premium features.

Doesn't the US have a couple of super-cheap brands (Vizio?) not available elsewhere which skews value in favour of LCD?

They might, but the premium LED is the high end models of TCL 65" R-series for $800 or less on sale. I know a few years ago the high-end TCL wasn't being sold in the UK. The US Vizio model seems to be a few hundred more than TCL, at least from what I saw last year. There's a slew of cheaper priced LEDs from everyone just flooding the US Markets including TCL, Vizio, and Samsung.

Doesn't the US have a couple of super-cheap brands (Vizio?) not available elsewhere which skews value in favour of LCD?

Vizio is actually going to start selling OLED TVs, using LG panels. I think I heard that the lineup they showed at CES will all have HDMI 2.1 which is more than Sony could say.

There are also some Chinese brands planning to ship OLED in the US this year, Skyworth and a couple of others. Not sure whose panels they're using.

The Koreans and to a lesser extent the Japanese brands are going to have to start fending off these Chinese brands in the premium segment of the TV market.

My guess is Chinese consumers with money will pay for OLED. You see those tourists with $4000 cameras and Louis Vuitton bags so there's a lot of money for premium products over there.

Seems to be huge difference around 2x the costs in the US when comparing 65" 4K HDR LED to 65" 4K HDR OLED: data points of TCL 65R625 for under $800 vs OLED for over $1600 or more.

Sure but IQ isn't on the same level. That TCL has monitor artifacts and limited viewing angles for one. Doesn't mean it's a bad product per se or that it isn't better value for money (for some people) but there is a reason it's priced the way it is.

If you are going to compare models with comparable IQ (like DSoup originally said) I don't think oled is that much more expensive.

The limited viewing angles is drastically overblown as I explained earlier in the thread. For most consumers, they can't tell the difference even if they spent over 2x the cost.

I dont think I have seen any OLED under 2x the cost of LED.

Those TCL R625 are a spectacular value for the money!

But they're AFAIK only sold in the US. The TCL models sold in the EU are really crappy in comparison. Here they only sell models with ~350nits.
Hisense is pretty much the only brand selling decent LCD TVs, but their prices have been rising as well and they don't sell anything remotely as good as the US TCLs with QLED panels.

Regardless, those aren't HDMI 2.1 TV sets with 120Hz panels like the LG models.
In 2020 people will be getting the new gen consoles, both of which getting VRR and ALLM and getting new TVs without that seems a lost opportunity here unless you're planning on changing your TV every couple of years.

Naturally that's not something everyone will do, but it's what I'm considering.

The beauty of going cheaper LED TV sets is the ability to upgrade 2 maybe 3 times and still spend about the same amount as the OLEDs and end up with better technology at the end of the time range.

If I spent $600 on a TV set I'd have no problems upgrading it in 3 years.
If I spent $800 on a TV set I'd have no problems upgrading it in 4 years.
If I spent $2000 on a TV set I'd expect to have it for 7-8 years.
If I spent $3000 on a TV set I'd expect to have it for 11-12 years.

In 2009 when I upgraded TV set to a 54" V10 Panasonic Plasma I spent around $2000 and I still have and use that set for gaming. I was very hesitant to upgrade that set even last year despite missing major features like 4K HDR.

I likely won't upgrade until 2021 to a solid HDMI 2.1 VRR ALLM 4K HDR set, but when I do, I highly doubt I'll spend over $1000 so when better technology comes out I can jump on that and have no qualms about sinking such high cost into the set.

But upgrading is a hassle, you have to get rid of the old set.

Contributing to the landfill.

Other rooms, other family members, other co-workers, other possibilities.

Best Buy and some other retail stores have haul-away service that will send the old set to a recycling center to be dealt with. Not a hassle in the US.

The limited viewing angles is drastically overblown as I explained earlier in the thread. For most consumers, they can't tell the difference even if they spent over 2x the cost.

I dont think I have seen any OLED under 2x the cost of LED.

Even my wife sees the difference in an instance and she doesn't care about these sort of things at all.

If most consumers wouldn't see the difference then why are all manufacturers making OLED TV's? Or why would people be buying anything other than a budget tv if they can see the difference anyway?

Obviously they can and as with everything there are people who want a good product and not just something that is "good enough".

Anyway the point isn't whether OLED can be as cheap as the cheapest LCD, but whether it can be cheap enough. OLED is now going towards 1000$ so I'd say it is now cheap enough to be interesting for a large amount of consumers.

Naturally that's not something everyone will do, but it's what I'm considering.

The beauty of going cheaper LED TV sets is the ability to upgrade 2 maybe 3 times and still spend about the same amount as the OLEDs and end up with better technology at the end of the time range.

If I spent $600 on a TV set I'd have no problems upgrading it in 3 years.
If I spent $800 on a TV set I'd have no problems upgrading it in 4 years.
If I spent $2000 on a TV set I'd expect to have it for 7-8 years.
If I spent $3000 on a TV set I'd expect to have it for 11-12 years.

In 2009 when I upgraded TV set to a 54" V10 Panasonic Plasma I spent around $2000 and I still have and use that set for gaming. I was very hesitant to upgrade that set even last year despite missing major features like 4K HDR.

I likely won't upgrade until 2021 to a solid HDMI 2.1 VRR ALLM 4K HDR set, but when I do, I highly doubt I'll spend over $1000 so when better technology comes out I can jump on that and have no qualms about sinking such high cost into the set.

If you waited a couple of months you could get a kick-ass Oled $500 off. My gf paid under €1000 for her LG b8, and it's most likely gonna run circles around any and all LED TVs in the same price range. So unless you're hell-bent on buying something mediocre, only to replace it with another mediocre thing down the line, Oleds really aren't that expensive at all.

I loved my Plasma, btw. Only switched it for the Oled because it unfortunately broke.

It’s hard to beat the LG B9 and C9 at $900 and $1,000 respectively for 55”.

What LED TV would you buy for a third or half that price and expect to match the OLED three years down the line?

What's the price for the 65" models, since that was the recent TV sets I helped buy for my coworkers and sister? The premium LED US set TCL 65R625 for $730 delivered. Are those 65" LG B9 or C9 under $1460?

I think I saw the 65" B9 for around $1400, yes.

Regardless, I don't think it's fair to claim the B9 as a competitor the the R625, since the first is a HDMI 2.1 TV fully capable of using its 120Hz panel.
If anything, the R625 is a competitor to the B8, which might be getting big discounts now that it's going into its 3rd year of existence (if you can find it..).
They both use HDMI 2.0b, but still the R625 uses 120 lumminance zones while the B8 has.. well, 3840*2160 = 8294400 "zones".
So a better comparison would be between the TCL Q825 and the LG B8, and if you go there then the TCL is actually more expensive despite offering higher brightness levels.

Perhaps in 2020 the TCL models will be a lot closer to the B9 and C9 due to having VRR, ALLM and 120Hz 4K (sounds like they support HDMI 2.1 to almost full extent).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back