Next-gen Cross-Platform Strategy [2020]

Shortbread

Island Hopper
Legend
I'm guessing at the very least, Microsoft will supplement this issue with two timed-exclusive 3rd party games for XBSX launch.

WCCFTECH: https://wccftech.com/xbox-series-x-exclusives-launch/

MCVUK: https://www.mcvuk.com/we-need-to-de...ame-studios-matt-booty-on-the-future-of-xbox/
As our content comes out over the next year, two years, all of our games, sort of like PC, will play up and down that family of devices. We want to make sure that if someone invests in Xbox between now and [Series X] that they feel that they made a good investment and that we’re committed to them with content.

And that means it’s also unlikely that there will be much pressure, from Microsoft at least, on third-party publishers to turn out hardware-exclusive titles for the relatively small day-one audience of Xbox Series X owners. In short, Microsoft is rewriting the rules of the console launch.

Our approach is to pick one or two IP that we’re going to focus on and make sure that they’re there at the launch of the console, taking advantage of all the features. And for us, that’s going to be Halo Infinite, which is a big opportunity.
It’s the first time in over 15 years that we’ll have a Halo title launching in sync with a new console. And that team is definitely going to be doing things to take advantage of [Series X].

Last edited:
I'm guessing at the very least, Microsoft will supplement this issue with two timed-exclusive 3rd party games for XBSX launch.

MCVUK: https://www.mcvuk.com/we-need-to-de...ame-studios-matt-booty-on-the-future-of-xbox/
hmm. Maybe Forza 8 considering it has been skipping a couple of years for a rebuild. They did the same with Forza 5 for the Xbox One launch. So I would expect a small handful of titles, but not many. I believe IIRC, they launched with 3 XBO exclusives. Ryse, Forza, Dead Rising come to mind. The launch window (first 6 months) had a slightly larger catalog.

the first quote may hold true for initial games but I don't see it in the future, specially because of the GPU. The tablet CPU of current Xbox consoles won't keep up with future titles meant for Xbox Series X.

On the GPU side they could go as low as 512 x 384 and run everything, but CPU?

I missed that they're not going to have any exclusives games, just exclusive content, for a year or two. That's a curious approach. Demonstrating better graphics and load times is enough at launch?

Not surprising about the launch line-up. Halo was the only one I was considering. To me this is a just a confirmation of their Game Pass plans: steady & regular scheduled content. Great interview. A few more quotes from Matt Booty on Game Pass:

MCV said:
So with fifteen studios all working on their own IPs. That’s a lot of content, and all that content, as we’re all aware, is there to feed the voracious maw of Xbox Game Pass. We ask Booty about his take on a comment made by Phil Spencer, about how Game Pass was a great place for games with a “a beginning, a middle and an end” as opposed to the shift to service-type titles in recent years. So does Booty feel that there should be more such titles?

“I don’t think that there should, it’s a little bit like, should there be more sci fi movies, or should there be more spy novels? I don’t know. It’s based on what people want to watch and want to read. We don’t try to be directive on the content, but the great thing about Game Pass is that we don’t have to actually worry about that question,” he states intriguingly. “That’s because Game Pass becomes the service, Game Pass becomes the structure. And now, in our green light and concept review process, I don’t need to ask: ‘What’s your service plan, what’s your monetization plan, are you going to offer any DLC later, what is your monetization?’ We don’t have to ask any of that anymore, the teams can just go design the game that they want. And we can let Game Pass end up being the service.

“So really, there’s the type of content there for just about any kind of gamer. And I think that’s what gamers should now expect.”

If you haven't already figured out, I'm bullish on Game Pass. I wasn't so sure when it was first announced, but after the 1st 2 years I'm really keen on it. Game Pass Ultimate & it's Microsoft Rewards really sealed the deal last year. I've probably played more titles in the past 3 months than all of the years I've owned a XB1 from 2015-2019 & It's because of Game Pass & Microsoft Rewards.

Tommy McClain

Not surprising about the launch line-up. Halo was the only one I was considering. To me this is a just a confirmation of their Game Pass plans: steady & regular scheduled content. Great interview. A few more quotes from Matt Booty on Game Pass:

If you haven't already figured out, I'm bullish on Game Pass. I wasn't so sure when it was first announced, but after the 1st 2 years I'm really keen on it. Game Pass Ultimate & it's Microsoft Rewards really sealed the deal last year. I've probably played more titles in the past 3 months than all of the years I've owned a XB1 from 2015-2019 & It's because of Game Pass & Microsoft Rewards.

Tommy McClain
darn, that quote is probably the smartest thing pr people from Xbox has said in many many years. Yes, gamepass is so awesome, if they keep it as is I am going to be a life-long subscriber, that's how good it is. Surprisingly so..

I wasn't aware of this until DF's video on XSX mentioned that Halo Infinite would run on the original 2013 Xbox. My initial impression was this is a risky move but it is, I believe, only Microsoft's first/second-party titles that are doing this. If it were all titles then the only reason to upgrade would be for better performance so you'd be looking at an upgrade pool the approximate size of those folks who upgraded from Xbox One to Xbox One X. Generally, it is the lure of games games you can't play on your current hardware that is likely to trigger a purchase.

I think we already know that the vast majority of the console market, who have long-been accustomed to slow-loading, janky-maybe-30fps frame rates and paired-back graphics settings, are just not focussed on the performance of the hardware.

Microsoft are saying "at launch" so it wouldn't surprise me if there is an expansion to Halo Infinite that would only run on newer consoles, hook people into the game then bring them screaming and kicking to a modern hardware a little over a year down the line.

That's some serious gimping going on here. I'm trying to picture the X1S version of Halo Infinite, 360p, no AA, no AF, lower than Low settings across the board, pre rendered cutscenes opposed to all realtime on next gen, ~25fps on average with heavy dips? But sure it can finish the game from start to finish. Why the hell would MS torture those poor bastards in such fashion:LOL:? Hell even the 1X crowd would run it like it's unbearable. I fear for the multiplatform titles and MS exclusives to be seriously affected in a bad way.

That's some serious gimping going on here. I'm trying to picture the X1S version of Halo Infinite, 360p, no AA, no AF, lower than Low settings across the board, pre rendered cutscenes opposed to all realtime on next gen, ~25fps on average with heavy dips? But sure it can finish the game from start to finish. Why the hell would MS torture those poor bastards in such fashion:LOL:? Hell even the 1X crowd would run it like it's unbearable. I fear for the multiplatform titles and MS exclusives to be seriously affected in a bad way.
I'm aware your being hyperbolic for sake of making your point.
But graphics is the least of the concerns when supporting this gen also.
XO 720-900p dynamic res, lower detail (used to inconsistent framerate)
1X 1080-1440p dynamic res, medium detail
XSX 2160p top detail

Games made for current gen is not a problem. Back porting from next gen is a whole different issue once other things besides graphics is being developed for.

MS did say this will only be for about a year or so. I think we'll be fine. Some people blowing this way out of proportion. Not here obviously. :D

I guess they have to make good on their promise that mid-gen purchasers would get full use of their console. So 21/22 would be about 4-5 years of service.
I think that’s fair. I’m not convinced that more CPU or GPU power instantly means a better designed title.

Imo: good game design shouldn’t have to replicate real life to be fun. I get people love graphics though, but I find that wears off after the first hour or so. Then you adjust and that level of graphics becomes your norm. And then... ???

most people who didn’t upgrade to mid-gen and still like the Xbox offerings will move to XSX. And they won’t feel the immediate pressure to upgrade if they don’t want to. They will see trade in deals; that’s usually a big incentive to move. I would say larger than exclusive games to some degree.

Last edited:
Halo Infinite is the weirdest example to give for Xbox One “gimping” games. The budget involved is probably absurd and it will very likely punch well above its weight for a Xbox One game.
There are still some CPU saver features that was never used. That may help especially when moving into next gen which should also have it. I am referring to the customized execute indirect that allows for state changes.

This is present in all Xbox ones and as I understand was largely ignored this gen because no other console or PC could do it (exception for Nvidia extensions).

it should facilitate some more flexible programming options as well as freeing up the CPU. Ie: pushing even more calculations to the GPU.

This is present in all Xbox ones and as I understand was largely ignored this gen because no other console or PC could do it (exception for Nvidia extensions).
Why wasn't it used in XO exclusives?
If it's not been used up until now, I'm going to assume there was a reason. Maybe current implementation has issues?

Why wasn't it used in XO exclusives?
If it's not been used up until now, I'm going to assume there was a reason. Maybe current implementation has issues?
No discussion has ever materialized on it. No 3P has ever used it that have openly discussed it. No 1P has ever openly discussed it.

no issue with implementation; but you doing a lot of re-work if you want to support a PC path.

basically you’re going to write the entire pipeline to be entirely GPU based. So a typical example might be doing depth checking; culling; and then render. Those can all be done by compute shaders individually. But then you’d have to individually submit the request and wait for the GPU to finish and fire that back up to the CPU. Wait for it to register the results; then send the next compute shader and so forth. The back and forth is so long it’s faster to do it all on CPU and render on GPU.

but if you have execute indirect; the GPU when completed it’s task will know to run the next part without needing to engage the CPU. And keep going to completion. So you’ve saved valuable CPU time and you’ve been more efficient on managing your GPU.

Expanding further is mixing asynchronous calls with this so that you can submit it well in advance and the let the GPU just do what it needs to do in the gaps it has available for processing.

Remember the discussion around this a few times in the past And you being pretty interested/positive about it.

Maybe the slipstream engine will use it since it's a ground up exclusive engine.
But apart from that not sure if anyone else will retro fit it, if they haven't by now. But could be wrong.
May end up in next gen games.

Remember the discussion around this a few times in the past And you being pretty interested/positive about it.

Maybe the slipstream engine will use it since it's a ground up exclusive engine.
But apart from that not sure if anyone else will retro fit it, if they haven't by now. But could be wrong.
May end up in next gen games.
I think it’s a desired feature. Seems like graphics coders want it. Just unfortunately no news to be excited about it. Wish we could read more on it; but I don’t think we ever will. Much too subtle to explain to the mainstream crowd.

There's no right or wrong. The traditional way has been to cut and move forward. I can't judge MS' move yet until seeing it play out. I know it sounds like on paper that they won't be able to really utilize the hardware to the fullest; but I've have yet to see proof of it. And MS is not commenting for all their titles, but I believe for their own 1P output.

Back