Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really ? I only remember Carmack saing that ps4 and x one are the same

Google GDC 2013 and PS4 Xbox One.

After this we had the infamous post of Allbert Penello saying on GAF Microsoft invented Direct X you think we can let Sony having a 50% advantage. It was before Xbox One upclock.

Wasn't the justification given that he was tired of being spammed by PM for additional info, insults, teasing, etc?

Wouldn't you do the same in a similar situation, even if you had the right info?
I'd not get banned. I'd keep the account and then trumpet my awesomeness when the specs were made official and I was proven right, linking back to all my previous posts where I was correct and naming and shaming all my detractors. ;)

You can come back from a self ban.
Huh? What's a self-ban then? He requests to have his account banned so he doesn't get dragged into posting when he doesn't want to, and then requests the ban is lifted when he is ready to return?

Seems like OsirisBlack is filling klee's shoes now and carrying out the 13TF legacy me and a whole bunch of PS fans are holding on to :). That PS5 specs reveal event would sure be one to remember.

I'd not get banned. I'd keep the account and then trumpet my awesomeness when the specs were made official and I was proven right, linking back to all my previous posts where I was correct and naming and shaming all my detractors. ;)

Huh? What's a self-ban then? He requests to have his account banned so he doesn't get dragged into posting when he doesn't want to, and then requests the ban is lifted when he is ready to return?

Yes this is like this. He did not come saying I want to be ban. Someone told him if you don't like what people said and you keep coming back you can ask for a self ban. Big difference it was someone explaining him he can go out of the site and said you can come back later if you want.

After a few minutes he said finally I asked a self ban because I can't stop to come.

Seems like OsirisBlack is filling klee's shoes now and carrying out the 13TF legacy me and a whole bunch of PS fans are holding on to :).

If one goes down another will raise. Sony fans are easy to feed, it seems. I feel for them having to be the target of people like this Klee and OsirisBlack.

That PS5 specs reveal event would sure be one to remember.

It will be glorious :) The self-banning isn't over yet.

Don't single Sony fans out as if something unique; MS and Nintendo fans have their own mindless cults too.

MisterXmdia for example, I am nearly out of the era topic because between things like ReRam, DRAM cache for Sony SSD or dual GPU this is unbearable. This is not speculation thread but worship thread.

EDIT: After the only thing I am sure if the PS5 is 9 Tflops it will not be 36 CUs 2 Ghz maybe it what Matt was saying when he said the information are outdated. 48 CUs at 1.5 Ghz seems much more plausible.

He was the first to say clearly the two are above 10 Tflop RDNA, when He begins to talk it was because people were doubting Andrew Reiner and funny things they worked together. His first message was defending Andrew Reiner nothing more. He comes saying the github leak information aren't up to date and Matt era mod too said the information are outdated. ;)

He is not the only one to said the two consoles have nearly the same power

http://www.jeuxvideo.com/news/10065...eux-prochaines-xbox-devoilees-a-l-e3-2019.htm

Basically we have spec sheet since january 2019 for Xbox. After things change and I think PS5 is less powerful than Xbox.
You people are feeding your own bias. Jason was definitely first to say they are shooting for more then 10.7TF, half a year before Klee said they are >10TF and, funnily enough, that people will not be impressed with jump in TF duo to well GCN Navi difference in TF number (his post that I quoted above).

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/jaso...-surpass-stadia-10-7-tflops-hardware.1474338/

Back then people expected 8-9TF, so I don't understand how would people be disappointed with 12-13TF?

Now, again, if you look at Jason's report he basically says very few people are actually tipped about next gen consoles and specs. If they don't have clear specifications in front of them, its game of broken telephone. Don't believe me? Look at your own sources.

Matt

Both similar, educated guess XSX > PS5. Difference of 15% small

Klee

Both similar, PS5 has small advantage. Anything can happen.

Jason

Both similar, battles will be fought at other fronts. Never said PS5 is more powerful then XSX

Andrew Reiner

PS5 has more TFs
- says devs told him that and he tweeted it minute after Scarlett was announced.

So, here we are. 4 "credibile" sources, all saying different, yet same thing. Because, even in case of Oberon vs Arden, these consoles would be much closer then X and Pro are, let alone PS4 and Xbone.

Who to believe? Lets wait and see. They are vague enough that everyone bar Andrew Reiner can be right, but then again Andrew was called on twitter about it by Ed Boon (head of MK series) and he would definitely be in know as to what Sony and MS are up to.

One thing is for certain, MS trademarked "Power your Dreams" logo and put die shot on twitter right before Sony's CES press conference. That to me spells confidence, and since I can only go by what we officially have from AMD's side, then for me its pretty clear.

Unless someone leaks specifications that they got from Sony and MS, I am following what I have. Klee has no doubt shown weird tendency to avoid Resetera after documentation leaked, and him asking for a ban and saying "I am verified, but not my information" tells me he went a bit too far ahead of himself.

You people are feeding your own bias. Jason was definitely first to say they are shooting for more then 10.7TF, half a year before Klee said they are >10TF and, funnily enough, that people will not be impressed with jump in TF duo to well GCN Navi difference in TF number (his post that I quoted above).

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/jaso...-surpass-stadia-10-7-tflops-hardware.1474338/

Back then people expected 8-9TF, so I don't understand how would people be disappointed with 12-13TF?

Now, again, if you look at Jason's report he basically says very few people are actually tipped about next gen consoles and specs. If they don't have clear specifications in front of them, its game of broken telephone. Don't believe me? Look at your own sources.

Matt

Klee

Jason

Andrew Reiner

- says devs told him that and he tweeted it minute after Scarlett was announced.

So, here we are. 4 "credibile" sources, all saying different, yet same thing. Because, even in case of Oberon vs Arden, these consoles would be much closer then X and Pro are, let alone PS4 and Xbone.

Who to believe? Lets wait and see. They are vague enough that everyone bar Andrew Reiner can be right, but then again Andrew was called on twitter about it by Ed Boon (head of MK series) and he would definitely be in know as to what Sony and MS are up to.

One thing is for certain, MS trademarked "Power your Dreams" logo and put die shot on twitter right before Sony's CES press conference. That to me spells confidence, and since I can only go by what we officially have from AMD's side, then for me its pretty clear.

Unless someone leaks specifications that they got from Sony and MS, I am following what I have. Klee has no doubt shown weird tendency to avoid Resetera after documentation leaked, and him asking for a ban and saying "I am verified, but not my information" tells me he went a bit too far ahead of himself.

Difference of 15% is not 9.2 Tflops for example. It is 10.3 Tflops. ;) And it made the github leak outdated.

EDIT: And like I said Xbox will be more powerful. I am 99.9999999% sure of it. It can change but it will be more suprising than 8 GB GDDR5. A magic trick.

For PS5 to be more powerful, the only realistic option they have is to get an SOC from AMD that's bigger than the XSX one (even more CU's). I don't think that's really economically feasible. I think the only way to put more silicon than 400mm into a console would be to go with a chiplet based design. Something with that would have leaked already I ssume.

For PS5 to be more powerful, the only realistic option they have is to get an SOC from AMD that's bigger than the XSX one (even more CU's). I don't think that's really economically feasible. I think the only way to put more silicon than 400mm into a console would be to go with a chiplet based design. Something with that would have leaked already I ssume.

No they can take the risk to go 7nm+ and being late if thing goes out of control.

9TF vs 12TF isn't a huge difference, that would be ballpark Pro vs X, or even PS4 vs Xone. The tides are turned this time. If you should care about is a whole different thing though.

It's been quite amusing to see the TFLOPS debate for the past few months, comparisons to desktop cards which are usually with nvidia because they're the top dog. How AMD TFLOPS are not the same as nvidia TFLOPS, and the new GCN TFLOPS are not the same as RDNA TFLOPS.:LOL:

Well, GCN TFLOPS were not the same as GCN TFLOPS either. Fury X had an increase of 45% GCN TFLOPS, improved mind you, over 390X and yet performed better by about half of that amount. So much for TFLOPS equalization between AMD and nvidia, and GCN and RDNA.:no:

Navi can be a different beast, doing better than Fury X with similar config or it can have a different type of config altogether, 3 shader engines and 96ROPs, 50% over 5700XT. The latter should not have any issues with higher TFLOPS number performing accordingly, but the former is not a sure bet.

9TF vs 12TF isn't a huge difference, that would be ballpark Pro vs X, or even PS4 vs Xone. The tides are turned this time. If you should care about is a whole different thing though.

It was considered as a huge difference. This is even worse because Sony will be single digit Tflops and Ms double digit TFlops. From a marketing point of view this is not very good. If they are in the low 10 Tflops this is ok for example.

Difference of 15% is not 9.2 Tflops for example. It is 10.3 Tflops. ;) And it made the github leak outdated.

EDIT: And like I said Xbox will be more powerful. I am 99.9999999% sure of it. It can change but it will be more suprising than 8 GB GDDR5. A magic trick.
Github leak is definitely not outdated. I have written post on 217 page specifying everything we know of PS5 leaks last year. There is no way semi custom chip info 6 months old is outdated. Oberon has to go to full production very soon, and final chip should have been back at Sony by now (as MS got theirs).

This was logic behind Sony and MS 2-3 years ago when they designed these things :

Smaller chip + earlier tapeout = shittone of more stock
Bigger chip + late tapeout + unknown yields = stock issues

Only way Ryan will get fastest transition from PS4 to PS5 is if console is 399$ and there is alot of it on stock. BTW, this 400$ does not mean its actually worth 400$. AMDs Github Oberon would almost certainly make Sony lose money, so from my stand point it was probably about losing money (say, 40-50$) but remaining at 400$, then going for 500$ and breaking even. BOM difference would be ~50$, but price difference for customers would actually be 100$.

Exactly. And not only that, but how many chips per wafer would Sony be able to get from 400+mm2 chip? If yields are worse on top of that, they can find themselves in situation where they get ~40% less usable chips then with 320mm2 die.

That in turn results in considerably higher price of chip as well as smaller stock, because 7nm wafers are in BIG demand. I don't think current allocation for AMD is enough for MS and Sony, let alone if Sony went for 400+mm2 die. MS can do it because console will be more expensive and it will have 50% smaller chip targeting low end. Sony will have to aim for the middle ground or lose.

Exactly. And not only that, but how many chips per wafer would Sony be able to get from 400+mm2 chip? If yields are worse on top of that, they can find themselves in situation where they get ~40% less usable chips then with 320mm2 die.

That in turn results in considerably higher price of chip as well as smaller stock, because 7nm wafers are in BIG demand. I don't think current allocation for AMD is enough for MS and Sony, let alone if Sony went for 400+mm2 die. MS can do it because console will be more expensive and it will have 50% smaller chip targeting low end. Sony will have to aim for the middle ground or lose.

And the only way to have a die at 320 mm2 but competitve on power side is to go with 7nm+. And it is very risky and probably a very stupid decision but it is a possibility. Better to launch underpowered than to launch one year later.

If it was possible, Microsoft would have choose it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back