Best 4K HDR TV's for One X, PS4 Pro [2017-2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Might it be the case that they'll make that push next CES? Neither the PS4 nor the Pro can take advantage of that feature, so to some extent, they'd just be advertising the superior capabilities of the X1X.

Xbox One S and One X can already take advantage of two major features, VRR and ALLM. I don't get why that would prevent Sony from moving HDMI 2.1 into TV sets. If anything, it makes their new sets even less desirable. That's not what you aim for when trying to sell things.

Might it be the case that they'll make that push next CES? Neither the PS4 nor the Pro can take advantage of that feature, so to some extent, they'd just be advertising the superior capabilities of the X1X.

Then why even announce it on just 1 TV? Why have some consumers not even consider a Sony TV when PS5 comes out because the TV doesn't have HDMI 2.1?

That's like telling PS5 buyers that Sony doesn't want them buying their TVs.

And if you think about announcements at CES, products announced then usually don't show up until around the mid-point of the year or later. That'd be a long time for Sony to have a HDMI 2.1 console but only 1 HDMI 2.1 TV.

Granted maybe Sony doesn't plan on having HDMI 2.1 on PS5? That would be hard to believe, though.

Regards,
SB

That's really surprising as even TCL is planning to roll out HDMI 2.1 across a range of TVs in preparation of the next gen consoles coming out.

Regards,
SB

Yeah, I'm hoping it's just an oversite in the press release, but only one TV lists 4K/120 Hz support which implies HDMI 2.1. Nothing else.

https://www.sony.com/content/sony/e...d-picture-quality-and-sound-capabilities.html

The funny thing is it's not even the top of the line LCD, just the mid range one. I really want a higher end one with good viewing angles (their X-wide Angle filter) so if the press release is accurate, I need to choose viewing angles or 4k/120 Hz support. It's a real head scratcher.

Yeah, I'm hoping it's just an oversite in the press release, but only one TV lists 4K/120 Hz support which implies HDMI 2.1. Nothing else.

https://www.sony.com/content/sony/e...d-picture-quality-and-sound-capabilities.html

The funny thing is it's not even the top of the line LCD, just the mid range one. I really want a higher end one with good viewing angles (their X-wide Angle filter) so if the press release is accurate, I need to choose viewing angles or 4k/120 Hz support. It's a real head scratcher.

Yeah, I'm just betting whoever wrote up that press release didn't think to write it in or wasn't told about it or some other screw up. I'd be really surprised if at least Sony's high end TVs didn't have HDMI 2.1.

Regards,
SB

^From your Faux K UHD movie that's most likely been upscaled from a 2K digital intermediate.
Or your bad-ass new PS5 game that's running at 1080p because someone threw in some raytracing effects.

I’m super disappointed in the announced Sony lineup at CES. Only 1 TV, x900h has HDMI 2.1. I really thought they would roll that out across their lineup this year with the PS5 coming.

I’m in the market for a 75” 4K TV. The size makes OLED too expensive and I’ve always liked Sony TVs. Bummer.
I'm also in the market for a new 55" TV but I can wait. I'm thinking of skipping OLED and waiting for micro-LED/mini-LED.

I'm also in the market for a new 55" TV but I can wait. I'm thinking of skipping OLED and waiting for micro-LED/mini-LED.

100%

I’ve never been convinced by OLED and the evidence now shows that MicroLED is accelerating development. I can wait these few years to upgrade and it will be that tech, instead of OLED. Also very important, it will take me these few years just to convince the other half to upgrade from our massive 65” Sony. Perhaps there will be an ‘accident’ and we will conveniently need to upgrade at that time. Don’t quote me.

I will not be touching micro/mini LEDs with a 10 foot pole if I value my sanity. Installation and calibration takes almost a week, and that expensive $30,000 micro LED module going faulty within a week certainly wasn’t encouraging at all. And given Samsung’s track record with reliability, there will need to be another player other than Samsung for me to take an another look at the technology.

The 65" Vizio thingy with like, 2400 nit spot brightness was on sale under $1100 the other day. Hngggg. Also has 14k:1 contrast ratio with local dimming. Double hnggg.

Cant/dont want to really afford it though, guess my TCL 6 series is gonna be riding for a while!

Why would anyone want to avoid an OLED?

More specifically, why would anyone want to avoid a B9/C9 with HDMI 2.1 compliance, plus G-Sync, plus a sub-13ms latency?

GSync adds undue cost compared to VRR from what I see in the marketplace.

More specifically, why would anyone want to avoid a B9/C9 with HDMI 2.1 compliance, plus G-Sync, plus a sub-13ms latency?

Because they believe in unicorns, and believe N64 era die size will somehow get competitive with 7nm PS5 in a few years by magic. People just love slanting OLEDs and unconditionally believe in alternative technologies such as now dead on arrival EL QLEDs and “should have stayed dead in 2006” dual layer LCDs I’ve personally seen with my own eyes.

That G-Sync support is only via ‘G-Sync via HDMI’, similiar as how Samsung was supporting Freesync, and how this year’s Vizio supports both Freesync and G-Sync. Even though HDMI 2.1 VRR is pretty much Freesync as AMD has lobbied, the 2 are not backwards compatible at all. This year’s LG X series OLED will not support Freesync out of the box, only G-Sync, and even if they manage to support FreeSync, it’s ultimately meaningless as both FreenSync/G-Sync via HDMI will not support HDR at all. (This difference was well presented by nVidia. VRR range will also be restricted to 40Hz-120Hz compared to G-Sync Ultimate)

It does suck LG has decided to withhold top emission for this year though. That would have provided twice as stronger burn-in protection, but LG is not employing due to added cost.

Last edited:
Sounds like really incremental at best changes for the 2020 LG OLEDs.

Supposedly they're trying to get some new plants online and there are some prospective improvements they'd have, like higher total brightness output.

I may look for bargains on 2019 to tide me over for a few years.

I've been denigrating OLED's for years and will continue to do that. To me they're the offshoot of the irrational Plasma brigade, very aggressive on the internet. Of course OLED is much better than Plasma, at least. I dont think any serious gamer should even consider OLED due to burn in, not to mention low total brightness being a big (probably OCD not reality) concern for me.

THAT said I picked up a Galaxy Tab 4 (OLED tablet) and holy cow. There is no iPad on earth that competes with that gorgeous screen. Maybe because of the increased size, it's far more impressive than my phone OLED. The colors, man the colors. They're probably just Samsung oversaturating settings, but I really dont care. Combine it with the quad speakers and wow, I'd consider dropping $600 on a S6 at this point. In a world of neat gadgets they're right at the top.

Still will denigrate the TV's though :LOL:

Well, if any denigrating is going to be done, it’s going to be the mobiles that will not be favoured.

Typical brightness for HDR, iphone 11 Pro Max nets 1290 cd/m2, while the Panasonic GZ2000 gets 1000 cd/m2, and this year’s model is claimed to be even brighter. The phones do pack vastly superior APL though. 1090 cd/m2 for 100% APL while WOLED TVs struggle to get past 200 cd/m2 for 100% APL.

Mobiles tend to also pack superior color volume as RGB is purer than WRGB, but WOLEDs also offer a picture option to completely turn off white subpixel at further brightness loss.

Since TVs have mediocre overall brightness, it more than makes up by offering vastly superior lifetime. The stack itself already has more lifetime than final year plasmas, it’s the damned choice of backplane that’s hurting panel lifetime.

The TVs also suffer from no PWM, unlike the mobiles.

IGZO WOLEDs are also cheaper to produce than LTPS RGB OLEDs. For 32 inches, WOLEDs will be in much favorable position.

I've been denigrating OLED's for years and will continue to do that. To me they're the offshoot of the irrational Plasma brigade, very aggressive on the internet. Of course OLED is much better than Plasma, at least. I dont think any serious gamer should even consider OLED due to burn in, not to mention low total brightness being a big (probably OCD not reality) concern for me.

THAT said I picked up a Galaxy Tab 4 (OLED tablet) and holy cow. There is no iPad on earth that competes with that gorgeous screen. Maybe because of the increased size, it's far more impressive than my phone OLED. The colors, man the colors. They're probably just Samsung oversaturating settings, but I really dont care. Combine it with the quad speakers and wow, I'd consider dropping $600 on a S6 at this point. In a world of neat gadgets they're right at the top.

Still will denigrate the TV's though :LOL:

yeah samsung OLED have wonderful colors. But... does your galaxy tab have color "ringing" and "black smear"?

on a galaxy note 10 or 9 (i forgot which one my work colleague had) the "ringing" was pretty noticeable on thin black/dark grey text on white background. The black smearing only visible when scrolling a webpage with black BG and it was only for a very short duration as samsung automatically switch the black into very dark grey.

i dont remember any color ringing on PSVITA tho. maybe due to RGB vs RGGB (RGBG?) subpixel arrangement?

Last edited:

Nothing personal. I’m not out to upgrade now or in the next 3-4 years, and MicroLED seems the best option whenever I will be ready to upgrade because with that tech you can have everything OLED offers but with no burn in and much higher brightness.

Also important, I hate Samsung so I won’t buy a supposed MicroLED TV from them. And also not one of those modular things.

Whenever actual, normal MicroLED TVs start coming out, then we’ll see.

Because they believe in unicorns, and believe N64 era die size will somehow get competitive with 7nm PS5 in a few years by magic. People just love slanting OLEDs and unconditionally believe in alternative technologies such as now dead on arrival EL QLEDs and “should have stayed dead in 2006” dual layer LCDs I’ve personally seen with my own eyes.

OR because it’s our money and we can do whatever the we want with it, and OLED has not convinced us?

Thanks for your contribution.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back