Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Micrososft has the typical American style enterprise/capitiast mentality of " consumer choice and options". This worked badly when it wasn't focused.(intial Xbox One strategy of everything device). But since then they have focused on the gaming and have offered backwards compatibilty, crossplay, Xbox Play-anywhere, EA Access, elite controller, Gamepass/Gamespass Ultimate, Xbox All -Access, Xbox One S All-Digital edition. Now not everyone likes those options nor is every one successful but that's not the point, the point is they keep offereing options.

Sony eventually reluinquished on things like crossplay and EA access. PS4 BC is probably on PS5 thanks to Micrososft. They've shown hints of incorporating elemtents of the elite controller. And if I'm a betting man there will be a Sony version of Gamepass this generation.

Gamers win.

Its all about perspective.

If Oberon is final chip, and if PS5 was 9.2TF Navi with RT, 8 core Zen2 and 16GB of GDDR6, it would be almost a match for best performing AMD stock gaming rigs. If Arden is actually 12TF of RDNA, then it would be comfortably fastest AMD GPU on the market.

So, in both cases we would get MUCH more then we did back in 2014 or 2016, but only this time one console would go above and beyond of what is expected of consoles considering TDP constraints and form factor. If both are around that number then thats astonishing.
Thats not how console gamers think.

Man this CES sure was boring. Not even a hint of a PS Meeting, just a logo..
Is it just me or Sony doesn’t sound as confident to market PS5 hype as they did with PS4? Could the alleged weak specs bear any significance to this or is it just different leadership this time? Really hope it doesn’t turn out to be 9.2tf in the end regardless of $399 or whatever.

It’s just you. Relax man, you really are putting way too much thought on a totally arbitrary Tflop number, and your expectations are setting yourself up for disappointment regardless of what will actually happen. Chill!

And if I'm a betting man there will be a Sony version of Gamepass this generation.

They already do: PSNow.

I'm pretty sure it was already confirmed that XCloud will be part of Gamepass, when it exits beta. So the services will look pretty much identical.

I only hope that doesn't encourage Sony to put their games on the service on day one, as I'm yet to be convinced that Gamepass is actually turning a profit. I suspect no, given that Spotify and Netflix keep struggling/failing to do so, seemingly in pursuit of total market dominance above all else.

They already do: PSNow.

I'm pretty sure it was already confirmed that XCloud will be part of Gamepass, when it exits beta. So the services will look pretty much identical.

I only hope that doesn't encourage Sony to put their games on the service on day one, as I'm yet to be convinced that Gamepass is actually turning a profit. I suspect no, given that Spotify and Netflix keep struggling/failing to do so, seemingly in pursuit of total market dominance above all else.

Why would this effect you in a negative way such that you would hope it doesn't happen? o_O

Micrososft has the typical American style enterprise/capitiast mentality of " consumer choice and options". This worked badly when it wasn't focused.(intial Xbox One strategy of everything device). But since then they have focused on the gaming and have offered backwards compatibilty, crossplay, Xbox Play-anywhere, EA Access, elite controller, Gamepass/Gamespass Ultimate, Xbox All -Access, Xbox One S All-Digital edition. Now not everyone likes those options nor is every one successful but that's not the point, the point is they keep offereing options.

Sony eventually reluinquished on things like crossplay and EA access. PS4 BC is probably on PS5 thanks to Micrososft. They've shown hints of incorporating elemtents of the elite controller. And if I'm a betting man there will be a Sony version of Gamepass this generation.

Gamers win.

Agree with a lot of that, but I think BC was a given with the rise of digital marketplaces. People are going to feel more secure investing in digital goods when that investment carries forward.

Its all about perspective.

If Oberon is final chip, and if PS5 was 9.2TF Navi with RT, 8 core Zen2 and 16GB of GDDR6, it would be almost a match for best performing AMD stock gaming rigs. If Arden is actually 12TF of RDNA, then it would be comfortably fastest AMD GPU on the market.

So, in both cases we would get MUCH more then we did back in 2014 or 2016, but only this time one console would go above and beyond of what is expected of consoles considering TDP constraints and form factor. If both are around that number then thats astonishing.

Speculation thread... so here goes (I will wildly speculate) ;)

Speculation starts

You saw AMD Ces presentation?

RX 5600 is 36 CU, ideal for 1080p
RX 5700 XT is 44 CU, ideal for 1440p
4K is reserved for Big Navi

Now... PS5 has Oberon at 36 CU...
And what about if there are Two Skus?
One with one Oberon Chip, the other with two of them? 1080p and 4K models.

One with 9.2 Tflops (36 CU), the other with 18,4 Tflops (72 CU) (numerically 10x PS4)

This would not require Two Chips for Two SKUs, and both would have higher yields. That would explain why no second CHIP for Sony, while Microsoft has Arden and Sparkman.

This would also reduce research costs, and productions costs.

But... crossfire is no good?

Depends... Sony has managed to get GT5 at 4K 60fps using 4 PS3. All connected using lan cables. So they have the tech for this.

Now... Sony has presented GT Sports at 8K 120 fps, HDR and with RT.

4 x PS4 Pro could give you 8K 60 fps... but not 120 fps, and even less with RT.

And a 36 CU PS5, even with RT could also not do this... but 72 CUs with two APUs could!

Speculation ends... Feet touch the ground...

Ouch... it hurts ;)

Thats the impression of the PC enthusiasts. The console gamers viewed the PS4 as a super powerful console better than One. They didnt care about PC capabilities. PCs are as if they dont exist

i chose sony this gen because of the overall offering that was more pleasing to me, but apart from resolution most of the time, multiplats were not way ahead on PS4, and i was also impressed by xbox one games, like Ryse or Forza, which were a huge step over the Xbox 360, my only console last gen.
If sony has the weakest console AND the worst offering concerning games and services, they'll be in trouble.

Minecraft and GTA series seem to be the exceptions, I know there are a few others but I can't think of them.
The Witcher 3 just got revitalized because Henry Cavill is awesome and my new man-crush-no-homo.

That's the case if the majority of your software (game) sales are on physical media. There's usually a huge spike at launch and then it just tails off over time until sales die off completely.
It's the majority of games period, regardless of digital or physical medium.

PS4 BC is probably on PS5 thanks to Micrososft.
Nah, PS4 BC is on PS5 thanks to them using the same CPU architecture and ordering the new platform from the same semi-custom SoC maker.

So, in both cases we would get MUCH more then we did back in 2014 or 2016, but only this time one console would go above and beyond of what is expected of consoles considering TDP constraints and form factor.
And that console would be the PS5, since 36 CUs at >2GHz may well be consuming more than 56 CUs at 1650MHz.

Why would this effect you in a negative way such that you would hope it doesn't happen? o_O

My concern is an overall conditioning of the market to never buy anything, and just stick to subscriptions. I've yet to hear an artist talk positively about Spotify, so I fear that this trend isn't good for the artists in any creative industry.

But when most of your population is broke the moment they've funded their food, water, and shelter, what else can you expect? Some portion of the global population has to make a sacrifice if we want to keep our elites rich enough to fund their pedo islands.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/15344/amd-at-ces-2020-qa-with-dr-lisa-su

AnandTech: The rearchitect of Vega for 7nm has been given a +56% performance increase. Does this mean that there was a lot left on the table with the design for 14/12nm? I’m trying to understand how you were able to pull so much extra performance from a simple process node change.

LS: When we put Vega into a mobile form factor with Ryzen 4000, we learned a lot about power optimization. 7nm was a part of it sure, but it was also a very power optimized design of that architecture. The really good thing about that is that what we learned is all applicable to Navi as well. David’s team put a huge focus on performance per watt, and that really comes out of the mobile form factor, and so I’m pleased with what they are doing. You will see a lot of that technology will also impact when you see Navi in a mobile form factor as well.

Lets wait and see what will AMD be able to deliver in consoles, 18 months from Navi 10 GPUs rushed to the market...

If Oberon has gotten to E0 stepping, then that surely points at same base chip from July, but with Sony agressively making sure it hits high clocks with respectable yields.

Back in 2000s you could gain 15-20% on clocks with some Intels just by getting newest steppings (on same node).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back