Pretty annoyed, First time having a flagship android phone: samsung galaxy 8

BTW: I've had a Galaxy S10+ for 3 months now, and I absolutely love it.
There's no ads at all, I disabled Bixby and even repurposed the bixby button as a camera shortcut. Though all these latest features might have somethiing to do with E.U. laws.

After seeing what to expect on 2020's Galaxy S20, I'm only sorry I'm not getting that 1/1.33" gigantic camera sensor and a better under-display fingerprint sensor.
OTOH it looks like future Samsung flagships are skipping the analog jack so I'm still better off with the S10+.
isnt its simpler to bind camera to power button double tap? so you dont need to unlock the phone.
hmm, i wonder if changing my country to one of EU country will fix the ads, or maybe i can disable those ads apps

Here's the perfect phone for you
There is literally nothing you can bugger up
and if you do manage to break it, it's £12 to replace
4m73x9C.jpg

Here's the perfect phone for you
There is literally nothing you can bugger up
and if you do manage to break it, it's £12 to replace
4m73x9C.jpg

nah, thats way too tiny and it have a vulnerable screen. Something like this would be better

2a54b223-e099-4447-a21a-42237c3f3621_43.jpg

the antenna fin probably also awesome to scratch an itch, or to give massage.

I'm on my third Huawei phone (this one a P20 Pro) and don't have a bad thing to say about any of them. Well-built, good spec, excellent camera, great battery life.

I suppose that if I was to believe the US propaganda about security and state interference, I should be worried, but ALL HAIL THE COMMUNIST PARTY OF THE PEOPLE'S REPUBLIC OF CHINA! I think it's a load of nonsense.

I'm still using my OnePlus3. Best phone I ever had.It's pretty much stock Android with some very minor changes. It's still pretty quick as well. My wife has a iPhone XS and side by side most basic apps don't really load any faster. The iPhone does feel smoother though but being 3 years newer and 2.5x as expensive it better be. Battery life isn't great though but after 3.5 years I can't fault it too much for that.

One thing that always annoys me with Samsung phones by the way is that for whatever reason their UI is slow a shit. It's smooth on the high end models but pick up a cheaper model and even swiping between panels is obviously lagging.

I'm still using my OnePlus3. Best phone I ever had.It's pretty much stock Android with some very minor changes. It's still pretty quick as well. My wife has a iPhone XS and side by side most basic apps don't really load any faster. The iPhone does feel smoother though but being 3 years newer and 2.5x as expensive it better be. Battery life isn't great though but after 3.5 years I can't fault it too much for that.

One thing that always annoys me with Samsung phones by the way is that for whatever reason their UI is slow a shit. It's smooth on the high end models but pick up a cheaper model and even swiping between panels is obviously lagging.

It randomly stutters on Galaxy Note 8 too. Workaround fix: change the animatin speed to 0.5. Probably its still stutter but i cant see the stutter.

maybe their exynos ramp up too slow?

My friend has a habit of occasionally mid-sentence picking up his Huawei phone and saying "China is great".

I suppose there's no harm....just in case :)

Bought a Xiaomi mi 9 lite. Gotta say I'm very impressed with what less €230 buys you these days. A bit heavy on the bloatware, but I can live with that. Probably not the right phone if you wanna play intensive games on it, but I'd rather piss glass than wade through the google play store anyways. Screen is wonderful, camera is pretty decent, performance is good, and the battery life is fantastic.

Bought a Xiaomi mi 9 lite. Gotta say I'm very impressed with what less €230 buys you these days. A bit heavy on the bloatware, but I can live with that. Probably not the right phone if you wanna play intensive games on it, but I'd rather piss glass than wade through the google play store anyways. Screen is wonderful, camera is pretty decent, performance is good, and the battery life is fantastic.

If you go to xiaomi subreddit and open their wiki, they got debloater script.

It works out if the box. No root needed no modifications needed.

Btw if you got ads, change country to UK. If you got no ads and no theme store, change country to.... I forgot which country have most features with no ads.

If you change country to Indonesia you will get almost all features enabled but there will be a minimal amount ads.

nice, samsung, nice!
you've gone the extra extend no other manufacturer has:

Completely, utterly, totally removed Adoptable Storage from Android.

other manufacturers simply removed it from the GUI, but still accessible thru shell. But samsung are different! they also make it wont mount the goddamn encrypted partition even when you manually told it to mount it via shell command. Bravo samsung! bravo! you've put more development resource than your competitors!!!!! You really have different development priority than your competitors!

https://www.samsung.com/nz/support/...series-support-the-adoptable-storage-feature/

they explain

Adoptable Storage is a feature introduced by Google that enables you to format and external storage media such as a Micro SD card to be used as a permanant internal storage. Data on the adopted SD Card will be encrypted and cannot be mounted on other devices.

Samsung has disabled this feature since the Galaxy S7/S7 Edge and this is no longer supported in our latest models such as the Note 10/10+, Galaxy S10/10+, Note 9, Galaxy S9/S9+, Note 8 and Galaxy S8/S8+.

ooooh! ooooh!

in a few years, when this galaxy note 8 dead, i'll surely won't even look at samsung phones ever again as an option.

Adding their own bloatware? okay, understandable, samsung want to not too dependent on google.
Adding unremoveable bloatware? okay, i still can disable them thru shell command (hey! maybe they will also remove this capability too!! who knows!).

but.. REMOVING feature? what? why?!!!!!!!
why they even remove adopted storage totally, completely. Including from shell command!

btw they also well-known for removing features for Indonesia region
- samsung galaxy note or s series: they removed the MST (the one needed to emulate magnetic cards). Okay to be fair, maybe due to regulations and beaurocracy.
- samsung A series: they remove NFC. Why? o_O

Last edited:
From what I recall, there were some large failings on Adaptable Storage, something about being married to a single device and not being usable on other devices. That would be horrible support nightmare as it wouldn't work how every single consumer would expect it to work on consumer devices like cameras and other tablets at the time. I can't blame any of the manufacturers for not wanting to support it. What Google should have done was implement MergerFS layer between the two (internal and external storage).

Google fucked the pooch on this one.

its usable on other device, including on a PC just fine. My adopted storage mSD was moved between 3 devices.

on other brands, they only remove adoptable storage from GUI, mounting works fine thru shell command. So its the kind of feature that you would never expect for the support team to even know about.
on other brands it will merge the internal with external into one big pool (and on some other brands it will show negative storage instead...) and you dont need to have a headache which apps are going to internal or external as long as you answered YES/ALLOW on the adopted storage setup process.

when the card is ejected, apps icon will become greyscale and you cant launch them. When card is inserted, app icons become colorful again and you can launch them. Some launcher have issue with this. They simply removed the app icons instead. Need reboot to make the icons appear again.

No. You can't use it on multiple devices without data loss when you move between them.

With Adoptable Storage, Android encrypts the external SD card being used as internal storage, thus, it gets tied to a specific Android device. The key used to encrypt the data on the SD card is stored on the Android device’s internal memory. So, it is not possible to mount the adopted storage to another device because of its encrypted nature.

encrypted doesn't mean you cant use it on another device. You just need to move not only the encrypted microsd card but also the encryption key

EDIT: for android since M its on
/data/misc/vold

Last edited:
Which is something no normal consumer would know how to do. This is why most manufacturers opted not to support this bad feature.

then why deliberately completely removing it from android? its only samsung that did this AFAIK. Sony, xiaomi, huawei, nokia, all works with adoptable storage. They just require you to use the shell command.

the cynic in me thinks so Samsung can force consumer to buy the higher priced big capacity variant (that microsd card slot? yeah you can expand the storage but only for media. Apps wont use it. you must buy our higher internal capacity model). But then, the amounts of people that use shell command should only be a few percent. why they even bother deliberately breaks android feature?

No. Samsung supports any brand of expansion cards. You can use it for Games or Apps but its limited to what supports that. At least its without the major limitations of Adoptable Storage and can freely move between devices. I have a 128 GB card added to my Samsung Tablet running Android 9.

how do you move the game and app to expansion card?

IIRC google removed that feature from android a few years ago. So currently apps will still be installed on internal storage but it also can be coded with an ability to put part of data on sd card formatted as portable storage (e.g. spotify song cache and download).

or google has added the feature back? i have not tried it on android 10. as my xiaomi was working fine with adopted storage, i didnt use portable storage.

i gave up. now using beta custom rom. According to reports, only VoLTE that's not working. Still restoring data + apps. Adopted Storage works fine.

Back