All purpose Sales and Sales Rumours and Anecdotes [2019 Edition]

Xbox One was the UK's best selling console over Black Friday
December 3, 2019
According to GIB there were more than 100,000 Xbox One consoles sold last week, which is just slightly behind the sales figures from a year ago. The just over £100 digital version was the most popular of all. Microsoft's games console was much more heavily discounted than its rivals and it seems to have paid off in sales rankings. However, as GamesIndustry.Biz (GIB) notes, Nintendo beat it for overall revenue raised over the weekend.

Looking at the competitive landscape, the retail figures show that the Xbox One very narrowly beat Nintendo's Switch by "just a handful of consoles". However, though the new Switch Lite is available now, it wasn't on offer below £170 having applied codes and coupons - and the original console bundles were still selling at around the £280 mark. Being so close in numbers sold, and its higher average price tag, meant that the Switch was the best selling console in revenue terms.

The PS4 offers weren't really compelling unless you were committed to the Sony ecosystem - or the person you were buying it for had a strong opinion on the choice. This is reflected by the solid but unspectacular sales figures for PS4s in the UK last week - 60,000.
https://hexus.net/gaming/news/industry/137399-xbox-one-uks-best-selling-console-black-friday/

We're seeing the drop that happens the year before a new generation launch. That obviously doesn't apply to nintendo who are in their mid-gen peak.

Xbox SAD edition is at a pretty low price even here in Canada. I’m seeing reports that it is $150 US for Amazon. It is $199 CAD right now at Best Buy.
Honestly at 7nm; perhaps they can get this device sub $100 by end of 2020. New form factor etc. That would be quite a win for them. The cheaper it can get the better for MS.
Drop off XBO and X1X and keep SAD when Series X arrives.

I'm going completely off memory here, but that PS+ subscriber number doesn't seem particularly high compared to 2 or 3 years ago when the total number of consoles sold was much lower.

I'm off to sleep now, so I'll attempt to remember to look it up tomorrow, but it seems as though the subscribers have stalled somewhat. Relative to the increase in install base, I think they've dropped.

Could Sony's piss poor PS+ showings finally be catching up with them? Or is it that the X1X has taken a lot of online players away?

I'm going completely off memory here, but that PS+ subscriber number doesn't seem particularly high compared to 2 or 3 years ago when the total number of consoles sold was much lower.

I'm off to sleep now, so I'll attempt to remember to look it up tomorrow, but it seems as though the subscribers have stalled somewhat. Relative to the increase in install base, I think they've dropped.

Could Sony's piss poor PS+ showings finally be catching up with them? Or is it that the X1X has taken a lot of online players away?

They were 36M back in July 2019, and before that 34M in April 2018.

But how? Thats assuming a significant portion of PS owners own an XBOX and prefer Gold instead of Plus. Which is unlikely that we have such a significant number. X has niche sales and small supplies and One S is an "inferior" product.
It doesnt look like XBOX is the culprit.
Still an interesting number. Around 36% only bought the ability to game online, with the probability that another unknown percentage games online only on titles that dont require Plus, like some f2p games or games like GTS and FF14. Do games like Rocket League and Fortnite also require Plus?

Last edited:
But how? Thats assuming a significant portion of PS owners own an XBOX and prefer Gold instead of Plus. Which is unlikely that we have such a significant number. X has niche sales and small supplies and One S is an "inferior" product.
It doesnt look like XBOX is the culprit.
Still an interesting number. Around 36% only bought the ability to game online, with the probability that another unknown percentage games online only on titles that dont require Plus, like some f2p games or games like GTS and FF14. Do games like Rocket League and Fortnite also require Plus?

I'll get into a discussion tomorrow, I need to stop procrastinating and get to sleep. Good night all.

Heh now you quoted him with my text. What the hell is going on? :p
twilight+zone.jpg

It was around 50% of users earlier on. Definitely dropping.

The tie rate of 10.84 seems very high

As others say, XB1X has no impact unless people have swapped consoles, which would then mean either millions of consoles sat doing nothing or millions of consoles passed on to players who don't care for online play.

I think it reflects on the state of online gaming and a sense of less reason to go online. That, and/or Fortnite and Apex Legends don't require PS+. ;)

Xbox Live has 64 million MAUs as of a year ago, so good luck finding what proportion of console owners subscribe! ;) Also, you can get onto XBLive free by using Bing - I reckon I can accrue enough points from 3 minutes a day spamming searches to get 15,000 points every three months which is enough to pay for three months, and that's not taking advantage of any deals as AzBat etc. frequently can make use of. I think the the US it's even easier to get XBox Live for pretty much free.

The tie rate of 10.84 seems very high

As others say, XB1X has no impact unless people have swapped consoles, which would then mean either millions of consoles sat doing nothing or millions of consoles passed on to players who don't care for online play.

I think it reflects on the state of online gaming and a sense of less reason to go online. That, and/or Fortnite and Apex Legends don't require PS+. ;)
I think this may be the case. The PS4 is selling to a lot to kids that play Fortnite like crazy.
Plus on another anecdotal evidence, most of my friends dont play online They focus on the single player mode and once they finish they buy the next game.
A very significant portion of system sellers or biggest hits have their meat in the single player.
For those games that have a MP option, it is an option that many have not tried to know if its worth it since it is behind a pay wall.

Nah, it's gradually easing upwards. As somebody who is a fair whether PS+ subscriber, i.e. I only subscribe when I know I will be getting time to play, every time time I let my PS+ subscription lapse I get an survey request from Sony shortly after seeking feedback on why.

I think it's simply that this late in the console's lifetime, you're capturing the über casuals for whom gaming is very much a secondary (or even lower) priority to other interests. They're probably not playing many games full stop, let alone online games.

If you have multiple users on a PS4 do they share the PS+ for online gaming? Because the MAU vs PS+ is weird to me.

Back