Next Generation Hardware Speculation with a Technical Spin [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't forget, Zen2's I/O was on a separate die. Here they will have to leave some space on the APU for 256-bit memory controller.
That’s already accounted for in the 250mm^2 NAVI die. It wouldn’t have the lower speed data interfaces though.

This is more like it and fits AquariusZi info.

The assumption that the metal carrier is the same size is completely unsupported. It’s much better to scale off the capacitors, which are an industry standard size.

His interpretation is that if it's RDNA 1 then it's 7nm. These two are locked together in step.

Not exactly. Porting a design to another process is the type of work AMD semi-custom could be doing. Take a well-known (from AMD's view) existing design, fix the known issues, and move to a new processes for additional efficiency gains. With so many process variations out there and on all future fab roadmaps, the designs have to be portable enough.

Any and every previous console generation has moved existing designs to new nodes with successive shrinks. (Look at the Xbox 360/PS3 and how process changes those went through). Yes, there was some work involved, but this isn't anything unusual for the semiconductor industry. It just seems more then any prior generation, I've been reading a lot of "no, they can't use that process because the chips wasn't designed with it". I don't buy that at all. These consoles are going to get shrinks in the future, the architectural design will stay the same.

Will the consoles be able to decode 8K HDR AV1 video? If they can't do that it seems pretty ridiculous to keep saying "8K" when nearly all these boxes will do is upscale to 8K. Will the HEVC successor be used for anything relevant?

When people say N7 is IP compatible with N6, what does that mean exactly? Since density increases and it uses EUV, a change to N6 would need new expensive EUV masks, and I think changes to DUV masks too. I barely know anything about chip manufacturing. What would make a change to N6 much cheaper than a change to an IP incompatible process like some people suggest?

This is more like it and fits AquariusZi info, although chip does look slightly larger then Scorpio. We'll see, hard to get correct dimensions on such an image. +- can be ~20mm² easily.
speculation and rumours seem to be accurate:

Now assuming Phil did not use a lens with too wonky a perspective (eg: some fisheye lenses), our results show us that the Xbox Scorpio and Xbox Scarlett APUs are roughly the same in width but the Xbox Scarlett APU is slightly longer in height. Our calculations put the Xbox Scarlett APU at roughly 401mm², which is an increase of almost 42mm² over the Xbox Scorpio chip at 359mm². The brand new APU features hardware-based raytracing (which seems to be all the rage these days) and a Zen 2-based CPU core.

Scorpio had 2560 SPs with 2 CUs disabled and while the Xbox Scarlett APU is clearly bigger, it is not possible to speculate based just on the die size because of the different process node involved (7nm vs 16nm) but we can safely say that you are looking at at least 50% more power in the same die space. Since the Scorpio APU can output roughly 6 TFLOPs of power, we can guesstimate a range of at least 9 TFLOPs for the Scarlett APU ( up to 12 TFLOPS is within the realm of possibility).

https://www.csitquestions.com/blog/xbox-scarlett-apu-die-shot-analysis-die-size-estimated

I'm a bit surprised it has "8K" on the chip. If there is a mid gen upgrade what is it gonna have written? 8K for real now? 240 fps?
1X soc says 4K, and they didn't feel the need to say 4K for real on xsx soc.
So I wouldn't worry too much about what they'll say on next one.
The funny thing is lots of 8k tv's at this years ces, regardless if games support it with native resolutions or not.
I'd be surprised if it never supported 8k media playback.

Microsoft says that AMD's images are inaccurate - Full statement below: “The Xbox Series X imagery used during the AMD CES press conference was not sourced from Microsoft and does not accurately represent the design or features of the upcoming console. They were taken from TurboSquid.com.”

edit for clarification: Microsoft's statement is about the video and images post directly above in Cyan's post, and not about the Phil's twitter profile die shot

Last edited:
New Logo and features recap.
ENpAXw5UwAAKCV-.jpg

ENpAekxUcAA3vf8.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back