Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
So CES has come and gone, and AMD didn't talk about RDNA2 or future big Navi GPUs, but they were happy to repeatedly mention the upcoming next gen consoles releasing this year, so they are either not ready for prime time yet, or they are sandbagging .. but people should keep their expectations down.

I found that strange too and thought two things. Either AMD isn’t ready with future big Navi - and RT? - or they’re leaving the big announcements to Sony and MS? Both feel weird to me.

It's hard to say what it means.

If they'd announced ray tracing cards, they'd have to compare them to Nvidia's. If they announce ray tracing in consoles, they get to compare the next-gen consoles to the current-gen.

Mediocre ray tracing performance compared to the RTX baseline isn't the comparison I'd want to push when I had the option of comparing some ray tracing performance to the zero ray tracing baseline of this generation. And I'd get to make both of my partners happy. Just like IRL :cool:

I'm actually single right now. Ladies ;-)
I'd rather keep it that way for now. Sorry ladies, I shouldn't have caused you to slide off your seats like that.
edit: likewise fellas.

It's hard to say what it means.

If they'd announced ray tracing cards, they'd have to compare them to Nvidia's. If they announce ray tracing in consoles, they get to compare the next-gen consoles to the current-gen.

Mediocre ray tracing performance compared to the RTX baseline isn't the comparison I'd want to push when I had the option of comparing some ray tracing performance to the zero ray tracing baseline of this generation. And I'd get to make both of my partners happy. Just like IRL :cool:

I'm actually single right now. Ladies ;-)
I'd rather keep it that way for now. Sorry ladies, I shouldn't have caused you to slide off your seats like that.
edit: likewise fellas.

That was my line of thought, but... she didn’t say *anything*. So I think that perhaps she’s leaving the big talk to Song and MS. Then AMD can launch their big cards when it suits them.

Assuming 1206 SMR, I see ~380mm2

Angle makes it hard, but that is what it looks like.
I was going by that as well, got 375mm2.

Definitely bigger chip then I anticipated with Scarlet reveal and would pretty much be a perfect fit for 56CU part.

EDIT
I'll make it 370mm2 because I think angle skews it a bit.
How did you get those results using a 1206? A 1206 is 3.2mm by 1.6mm.

The pitch on recent res/cap quad arrays on the chip laminate seem to be all 0.40 pitch. So they would be 0603? Not 1206?

Anyway with 0.40 pitch as a reference I end up with 388 mm2.

Rumours had rdna2 at the end of 2020. January is a bit early to announce. They'll either announce in fall or later and the gpus will be early 2021.

I agree that it would be too early for RDNA2 (Navi 20) announcement (though they could have teased us with an engineering sample).

7 nm production capacity at TSMC is currently fully booked (PS5 and XBox X chips should be in production right now) and this will only improve in 2020 H2, when production is expected to double. So once the PS5 and XBox X are announced this Spring, they shall build on the hype to announce features/performance, and start building up the inventory in Q3 for a possible 2020 Q4 launch of the desktop RDNA2 line-up.

Meanwhile, it doesn't look like AMD has a 'big Navi' die to announce. Navi was already quite late, probably due to turbulences with 10 and 7nm process nodes, so it makes sense to reassign engineering resources to bring RNDA2 a bit closer. Nvidia's Ampere will not arrive until Q3 2020 - for now they have batches of Navi10/Navi14 to sell, and under-performing RX 5700 dies will be re-used in the RX 5600 XT.

Last edited:
Well, that was worth it...

There were 3 or 4 moments where I kept expecting Jim Ryan to say something about the PS5, but he kept bringing it back to the PS4 and content. "Fair enough" I thought, "but there's still hope for something."

Then came the moment in which Jim Ryan brought up the subject of the PS5, and delivered an enticing line:
"I'm pleased to show you all, today, for the first time..."
A drum roll played in my head, and I thought, "Bloody hell, they're going to show us the console!"

Then he moved further along into the completion of his line: "... the PlayStation 5..."

I began to get a little excited. Wrongly bloody so, because the line ended "... logo."

So unless something else has happened in the last 5 minutes, that's it folks, we know what the logo looks like. Like the PS4 logo but... with a different number.

It's a "5"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back