What Anime are you watching now?

Watched SheRa and The Dragon Prince.
The first is amazingly good considering its source material. (And really good ignoring it.)
The second has pacing issues in the first season IMO but is good.
Went through more than half of Banana Fish, and, while enjoyable, it didn't click for me.

Ei Aoki’s new anime project scheduled for 2020 has a 2 episode teaser on 12/15/2019.

It is an original anime project titled ID:INVADED. Aoki (known for working on Aldnoah.Zero, Fate/Zero, and the movie The Garden of Sinners: Overlooking View) will be directing the series.

The story of ID: INVADED follows Sakaido, a detective who finds himself in a strange, virtual world where he decides to investigate the murder of a girl named "Kaeru-chan".

Finished Goblin Slayer, which I really liked. I'm much a way into season one of Overlord which I am also enjoying. My TO WATCH list is now just stupidly long:

1) A Certain Magical Index, 2) Claymore, 3) Code Geass, 4) Demon Slayer (watching this weekly), 5) Dragon Ball Kai, 6) Fairy Tail (all 174 episodes!), 7) Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood (I will try this again), 8) Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny, 9) Naruto Shippuden, 10) No Game No Life, 11) Psycho-Pass (definitely next up!), 12) That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime, 13) The Rising of the Shield Hero, 14) To the Abandoned Sacred Beasts (watching this weekly) and 15) Tower of Druaga.

Oh boy...

Finished Goblin Slayer, which I really liked. I'm much a way into season one of Overlord which I am also enjoying. My TO WATCH list is now just stupidly long:

1) A Certain Magical Index, 2) Claymore, 3) Code Geass, 4) Demon Slayer (watching this weekly), 5) Dragon Ball Kai, 6) Fairy Tail (all 174 episodes!), 7) Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood (I will try this again), 8) Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny, 9) Naruto Shippuden, 10) No Game No Life, 11) Psycho-Pass (definitely next up!), 12) That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime, 13) The Rising of the Shield Hero, 14) To the Abandoned Sacred Beasts (watching this weekly) and 15) Tower of Druaga.

Oh boy...

I might as well throw out some more possibilities (these are older anime but not REALLY old - IE they are still "widescreen" :)) for you in case you haven't yet watched them. I suspect you may have seen some of these already. In no particular order
  • Black Lagoon
  • Basilisk
  • Darker than Black
  • Desert Punk (Sunabouzu)
  • Dennou Coil - I love this anime about VR intruding into the real world...kinda. This one is different than the others in the list as it doesn't focus on combat or violence.
  • Michiko to Hatchin
  • Amaenaideyo
  • Baccano
  • Occult Academy (I think I mention this everytime I mention Anime, but I LOVE this short series SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much. :D) If there was one anime girl I would marry, it would be Maya Kumashiro. :love:
Some are relatively well known, some are relatively unknown, but these are some gems, IMO.

Desert Punk has a fair bit of exaggerated facial expressions and body language if I remember correctly. I remember you didn't like that in the episodes of the Full Metal Alchemist that you watched, so it may or may not annoy you.

The temptation is to go on and on listing 10's and 10's of really good anime, but well, these are some really good ones, IMO. :)

And the best thing is, they are finite Anime's unlike something like Naruto which has hundreds of episodes or even Full Metal Alchemist which is around 100-ish episodes if you watch ~the first half of the first series and then the entirety of Brotherhood. So, it's relatively easy to get through them.

Wish I had as much time to watch Anime as I used to. Haven't been able to keep up with the new series much, which makes me sad.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
Ei Aoki’s new anime project scheduled for 2020 has a 2 episode teaser on 12/15/2019.

It is an original anime project titled ID:INVADED. Aoki (known for working on Aldnoah.Zero, Fate/Zero, and the movie The Garden of Sinners: Overlooking View) will be directing the series.

The story of ID: INVADED follows Sakaido, a detective who finds himself in a strange, virtual world where he decides to investigate the murder of a girl named "Kaeru-chan".

a girl named "frog"?

MC name "sakaido" is he an "AI"?

and whats with japan fixation of detective story with murders? there are tons of amazing stories thats not murder...

I might as well throw out some more possibilities (these are older anime but not REALLY old - IE they are still "widescreen" :)) for you in case you haven't yet watched them. I suspect you may have seen some of these already. In no particular order
  • Black Lagoon
  • Basilisk
  • Darker than Black
  • Desert Punk (Sunabouzu)
  • Dennou Coil - I love this anime about VR intruding into the real world...kinda. This one is different than the others in the list as it doesn't focus on combat or violence.
  • Michiko to Hatchin
  • Amaenaideyo
  • Baccano
  • Occult Academy (I think I mention this everytime I mention Anime, but I LOVE this short series SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much. :D) If there was one anime girl I would marry, it would be Maya Kumashiro. :love:

SB

I'd like to add Berserk there too, both the old anime and the new three OVA films

I'd like to add Berserk there too, both the old anime and the new three OVA films

Beserk is a tough one to recommend, it's either a love it or hate it anime. And from my experience, more people hate it than love it. Myself, I really like it, but then I'm always up for a bit of ultra violence combined with some weirdness.

It's easier to recommend once you have a good idea of the types of anime, movies, etc. that a person likes.

Regards,
SB

I finished Fate/Apocrypha. Top quality and very entertaining.

Any recommendations? Maybe I'll watch Goblin Slayer, since some of you said it was good.

I finished Fate/Apocrypha. Top quality and very entertaining.

Any recommendations? Maybe I'll watch Goblin Slayer, since some of you said it was good.

It's good and not typical, the hero is already a seasoned warrior when you meet him and it goes from here. (ie no long flash backs showing his training or what not)
Although the depiction of elves and dwarves are unforunately very common :( (Why is everyone ripping of Tolkien/D&D elves and dwarves ?)
At least there's a reptile-man to give a little flavour to the group.

Finally finished season 1 of Demon Slayer. OMG, I can't remember the last game (if any) that had 2 more annoying protagonist sidekicks than this one. While it ultimately wasn't enough to ruin the first season, it made it almost unbearable to make it through some of the episodes.

It makes me feel like this was a series targeted towards children, as those 2 sidekicks definitely reminded me of some children that I know. While there was a fair bit of blood and obviously violence, that isn't uncommon for anime targeting older children and young teens.

Towards the end of the season there is some character progression for the 2 sidekicks, but I still get the feeling that those really obnoxious annoying traits are going to remain part of them...forever. Hopefully I'm wrong on that. :p

Regards,
SB

Although the depiction of elves and dwarves are unforunately very common :( (Why is everyone ripping of Tolkien/D&D elves and dwarves ?)
Well, it's not that Tolkien invented them, even though, yes, he made them quite mainstream and standarised them, so to speak. :LOL:

Well, it's not that Tolkien invented them, even though, yes, he made them quite mainstream and standarised them, so to speak. :LOL:
Elves and dwarves from norse mythology have very little to do with Tolkien and D&D (which ripped of Tolkien's work) depictions of them...

For exemple, dwarves are also called dark elves and live underground in norse mythology, they have dark skin and there's no reference to them being short but they are incredible smiths & craftmen, forging almost all gods items (including Mjollnir the famous hammer of Thor). They all seem incredibly strong.
In contrast light elves live outside and are said to be more beautiful than the sun, they can cause harm or heal humans.
Both seem immortal, so they have that in common with Tolkien's elves.

Elves and dwarves from norse mythology have very little to do with Tolkien and D&D (which ripped of Tolkien's work) depictions of them...

For exemple, dwarves are also called dark elves and live underground in norse mythology, they have dark skin and there's no reference to them being short but they are incredible smiths & craftmen, forging almost all gods items (including Mjollnir the famous hammer of Thor). They all seem incredibly strong.
In contrast light elves live outside and are said to be more beautiful than the sun, they can cause harm or heal humans.
Both seem immortal, so they have that in common with Tolkien's elves.
Yes and no. Elves and dwarves are not just from Norse mythology.

At any rate, all the standarised characteristics for both mythical beings predate Tolkien, and by a long shot. It's just each country and in different times the same figure could have different names, or the same name could mean different things. For instance, the meaning of "elf" could range from something more similar to a demon to what we today consider a tiny fairy. I think that Tolkien created a template with the characteristics he found more attractive and prominent, in order to create a very definite species.

Back