Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Half of the Era and Gaf verified insiders are going to be banned, I have no idea which half. :LOL:

Why is everyone acting like every new baseless rumor is true, or even deserves to be taken seriously?

Look for the signs of bullshit: every clickwhore speculations have a protection mechanism built in, "things could change". If they get it right they look like good sources, and if they get proven wrong they say "this just in, new informations from my source, they changed the whole APU yesterday".

Last edited:
It'd be quite the coincidence if the PS5 APU has exactly the same die size and transistor amount than the Navi 10 chip. how anyone is even willing to entertain that is beyond me...
Yea I know, lol. Globby was just saying they left out the CPU. It would be entertaining if they managed an APU of that power in 250mm2.

Wonder it Sony and MS folks are spreading this rumours just to mislead the opponent...
can't change the designs this late into the game except the clocks.
Nothing else left to do but to prepare marketing, distribution, finalize software, features etc.

So no I don't think they care. They probably want to keep things from leaking because you want to control the narrative around it.

Wonder it Sony and MS folks are spreading this rumours just to mislead the opponent...

No. They each know what is available, ordereable, fine tuneable and at what price by AMD. No need to do a thing more.

It is delusional dreams of spy fiction to think they're having any impact on the other side through rumors.

I am aware that's there is finite amount of configs to choose from, especially if there are only AMD parts involved. But there can be slight diffrences i.e. type and amount of RAM (PS4 anyone ?) that can surprise the opponent in rather unpleasant way. Especially if we don't know the prices.

But there can be slight diffrences i.e. type and amount of RAM (PS4 anyone ?)
I'm not sure I would call this a slight difference by any means.
Memory system is still one of the most important pieces of the puzzle for performance.

The choice to go with esram vs GDDR5 is dramatic.
It didn't matter if the specs for PS4 leaked that they were going with 8GB GDDR5, the chip is locked by the time the rumours would have released. That means they can't change out of DDR3 bus and switch to DDR5 and be able to secure a contract and volume to reprice the console. That switch over would have caused an easy year delay on Xbox One.

esram was an extension of what they were doing with Xbox 360; they included some additional hardware for backwards compatibility. This came full circle for them, they have BC as early as 2015. They miscalculated the costs that GDDR5 could come down in 2013. That was on them. I don't think knowing about Sony (unless they knew years in advance) would have changed anything.

I am aware that's there is finite amount of configs to choose from, especially if there are only AMD parts involved. But there can be slight diffrences i.e. type and amount of RAM (PS4 anyone ?) that can surprise the opponent in rather unpleasant way. Especially if we don't know the prices.
There are a few ways they can surprise each other:
- Custom addition to AMD design (so far it was never a big impact, but possible)
- The two respective market research might end up with a different conclusion about power vs price, or dual sku
- Different strategy between existing userbase retention and expanding it
- Clever simple software ideas, like PS4 60 second installs for single player games
- Radical choice of memory type, based of procurement deals one might have access to and the other didn't
- Advantage based on synergy with a separate sector (MS with their enterprise cloud)
- Risky decision that doesn't have enough market data (like the Wii and WiiU)
- Wrong prediction/negociation of component costs, long and short term
- Different balance between short term and long term gamble
- Cross licensing agreement within the silicon sectors giving some advantages

Normally, anything the other does, the correct management answer is "we looked into this possibility and we decided otherwise because...."

this is from the admin of TechPowerUp, who warns that this is temporary data and things could change.
Seriously, PS5 at 8 GBs. The same as PS4? And Scarlett is far more of everything but at only 30 watts more power draw and under 180 W? If it's under 180 Watts, why the huge case and the 'MS breaks the mould' articles describe how they have designed a console to push past the low wattage of typical consoles? How come Sony walked away from a deal with AMD for a Radeon 5700 XT clocked a bit higher (but somehow at far less power draw) whereas MS got a whole new better-than-anything-on-Pc architecture?

Rudimentary common-sense tells us this comparison is nonsensical. MS have not got a 180 W, 12 TF GPU, console which they've plomped into an oversized box for no good reason.

Last edited:
Rudimentary common-sense tells us this comparison is nonsensical. MS have not got a 180 W, 12 TF GPU, console which they've plomped into an oversized box for no good reason.

You didn't think they showed us the real retail console, that video was released just to troll Sony...

Again, see Nintendo. The gaming community will pull apart these machines and spread word and criticism, but the larger buying public won't give a shit. Don't tell them what they don't need to know. If the TF number is smaller, just don't mention it - you don't advertise your shortcomings.

How about asking MS, which launched the Xbox One at a performance deficit to the PS4?

Sure the general public wasn't studying DF videos like people here but people heard the PS4 was better and sales reflected this broad perception.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back