AMD: Navi Speculation, Rumours and Discussion [2019-2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
hm... Is Navi 14 a single shader engine arranged as 2 (arrays)x6 WGPs or... ?

Last edited:
"High-performance computing" is the company motto, not related to any product families and all.
They do pretty clearly define what they mean by HPC on their website:

https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/hpc-explained
  • High Performance Computing (HPC): A broad class of powerful compute systems ranging from simple (e.g., 1 CPU + 8 GPUs) up to including world-class supercomputers
If their CES presentation would be limited to say mobile products alone, I would find that tweet quite confusing and poor communication.

They do pretty clearly define what they mean by HPC on their website:

https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/hpc-explained
  • High Performance Computing (HPC): A broad class of powerful compute systems ranging from simple (e.g., 1 CPU + 8 GPUs) up to including world-class supercomputers
If their CES presentation would be limited to say mobile products alone, I would find that tweet quite confusing and poor communication.
No please just see their keynotes or interviews.

New GPU (maybe Navi 12) appears on Compubench:

https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-navi-12-spotted-with-36-compute-units

- Supposedly "native" 36 CUs because it doesn't say lite in the description (I don't know how accurate this assumption is, though).
- Clocked at 1136 MHz

It seems to score around the same as a RX 5700 would, if it was running at those clocks. Except for that local tone mapping 2K test which seems to put it on par with the 5700 XT but it could be just a driver optimization.

At around the same time, a 3dmark score showed up with a 8-core 4800H (probably Renoir) coupled with a mobile GPU with 6GB VRAM, trading blows with a laptop Core i9 9880H and a RTX 2060 notebook (not Max-Q).

So now I can't figure out if this new mobile GPU from the 3dmark score is Navi 12 or an underclocked Navi 10 Lite. Maybe the 5600XT is indeed a new GPU, or the notebook 5600M XT is Navi 12 while desktop 5600 XT is a cut-down Navi 10 chip.
Previously, there were some firmware leaks pointing to Navi 12 being a 40 CU part with 2 stacks of HBM2 (or at least 2048bit worth of HBM.. it could be that HBM3 is 2048bit on each stack but I think it's too soon for HBM3).
Maybe Navi 12 is indeed a premium mobile chip with 36 - 40 CUs and 2 super low-clocked, low-power HBM stacks..

Then there's those 6GB of VRAM which seem a bit short for its intended performance target ,especially for a GPU introduced in 2020. However, on a Ryzen 3000/4000 laptop it could make use of 16x PCIe 4.0 to reach almost 32GB/s from the system RAM, and if the driver / HBCC handles streaming well then the shorter VRAM could pose less of a problem.

I believe HBM2 is unlikely for 6GB configuration, isn't it? It would require three 1024bit channels (excess of bandwidth) or custom HBM2 chips (higher cost).

I honestly can't see Intel doing another G-model with AMD graphics in the midst of their push to discrete graphics on their own
mm... I suppose. AMD did also produce the Vega 12 (Polaris 22?) line for mobile workstations though. Maybe Apple would be interested?

AFAIK AMD hasn't discolosed any such details about Navi 14 (yet)
Die shot we've seen implies 1 SE, 2 SAs with 6 WGPs each, yeah.
Thanks. Don't suppose you know the whereabouts of the die shot?

I believe HBM2 is unlikely for 6GB configuration, isn't it? It would require three 1024bit channels (excess of bandwidth) or custom HBM2 chips (higher cost).
The HBM2E standard update allows for stacks to be placed up to 12-Hi.
I think if it allows 4-Hi, 8-Hi and 12-Hi, it probably also allows 6-Hi..

Thanks. Don't suppose you know the whereabouts of the die shot?
AFAIK Fritz hasn't published any die shot of the RX5500 yet.

Don't know if this is accurate or not

ENc-GYVWoAEe4es

I shudder at the green vs red wars when both have major feature parity again.

'Renoid'? And why announce release dates in a press flyer with 'possibly May/June'? And officially it's 'AMD Media Days News Conference'. So this looks like someone's wish list, but I guess we'll find out in less than 28 hours.

I wonder why they didn't choose a keynote format. Does 'news conference' imply there will be several speakers at the table, and that the press will be allowed to ask questions?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back