Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so arpund 9TF it is for ps5 it seems. Sounds like a 399 machine, a single sku launch a good decision ny sony.

Depends, its 9TF is the GitHub leaks are up to date and represent the final console. Im not saying they do or don't because no one can confidently say that at this point. There is just some stuff that doesn't smell quite right in the repo.

PS4 Pro Fill rates vs 217.6 GB/s memory bandwidth
@RGBA8 = 911 Mhz * 64 ROPS * 4 bytes = 233 GB/s (bandwidth bound)
@RGBA16F = 911 Mhz * 64 ROPS * 8 bytes = 466 GB/s (bandwidth bound)
@RGBA32F = 911 Mhz * 64 ROPS * 16 bytes = 932 GB/s (bandwidth bound)

Xbox One X fill rates -> vs 326 GB/s memory bandwidth
@RGBA8 = 1172 Mhz * 32 ROPS* 4 bytes = 150 GB/s (ROP bound)
@RGBA16F = 1172 Mhz * 32 ROPS* 8 bytes = 300 GB/s (~ROP bound)
@RGBA32F = 1172 Mhz * 32 ROPS* 16 bytes = 600 GB/s (bandwidth bound)

Using the above theoreticals.
Oberon
@RGBA8 = 2000 Mhz * 64 ROPS* 4 bytes = 512 GB/s (ROP bound maybe?)
@RGBA16F = 2000 Mhz * 64 ROPS* 8 bytes = 1024 GB/s (bandwidth bound)
@RGBA32F = 2000 Mhz * 64 ROPS* 16 bytes = 2048 GB/s (bandwidth bound)
I hope Oberon has a lot of memory.. lol otherwise it's going to be entirely bandwidth bound

XSX
@RGBA8 = 1700 Mhz * 64 ROPS* 4 bytes = 435 GB/s (ROP bound maybe?)
@RGBA16F = 1700 Mhz * 64 ROPS* 8 bytes = 870 GB/s (ROP bound maybe?)
@RGBA32F = 1700 Mhz * 64 ROPS* 16 bytes = 1640 GB/s (bandwidth bound)

If you have the memory speeds and amount you can work out if it's ROP or bandwidth bound.Some folks here are good with memory that can give you some estimates on likely GDDR6 speeds with 16GB of memory. I'm guessing its likely to be bandwidth bound. Using samsung GDDR6 as my proxy @ 16GB memory packages will hit about 768 GB/s.
576GB/s for PS5
720GB/s for XSX

(These are 18Gbps chips on 256/320bit bus they have)

Sony has something better, namely their superior First-party studios.

We will see about that, this time around ms focus more on 1st party studios. This wont be like 2013 consoles. With ms having a leg up in performance, multiplat games have an advantage there, and 1st party games have more headroom too.

Last edited:
Struggle to see why would Sony announce PS5 in public on CES. They will make megaton the moment they have one similar to 2013, so why do it at CES?

Although, since Wired article out of the blue I guess we can expect anything.

Struggle to see why would Sony announce PS5 in public on CES. They will make megaton the moment they have one similar to 2013, so why do it at CES?

Although, since Wired article out of the blue I guess we can expect anything.
They’re probably not going to do a full reveal. May just do a trailer similar to Xbox Series X reveal at the game awards, show the box, show some game action and some devs saying how great it’s going to be. Look at all the good press MS got out of their reveal, Sony may go for something similar and save full spec reveal for their own event in Feb.

Wow, 6 pages since I last checked the thread yesterday. Is this neogaf era?

I just wanted to make just a brief comment about backwards compatibility, IMO is going to be a very important item, not because of existing PS4 and XBX players but of potential buyers that have missed the previous gen (like me).

I wasn't very interested in many of the games that have come out for consoles as most of them are available on PC. I'm a huge TLOU and MGS fan and I was planning on buying the PS4 just for TLOU2 and Death Stranding. If all these games have improved visuals when running on next-gen hardware that's already a massive library to begin with. It removes two issues of previous console launches: lack of games and the need to rush the good ones to meet the console launch date.

It also reduces the entry price level for new and previous gen users, when I bought the PS3 at launch (come on, it was the cheapest BR player available) I had to spent an additional 100€ on Resistance and Motorstorm (please Sony, release another one with the level of visuals promised). With PS5 and SEX you don't have to buy new games right away, get used PS4 and XBX games or play your current library.

Previous gens have had BC before, but I don't think is the same scenario. My PS3 had backwards compatibility with PS2 and PSX if I remember correctly (EU consoles had SW BC at launch if I'm not mistaken), but I can't remember using this feature other than to play MGS3 and Buzz... Why? IMO Because most PSX and PS2 games felt outdated and clumsy even compared to unpolished PS3 games like Motorstorm. I don't think that is going to happen at all with PS4 and XBX games.

576GB/s for PS5
720GB/s for XSX

(These are 18Gbps chips on 256/320bit bus they have)
Nice.
I updated the post. The ones that are ROP bound will have fill rates as frequency * ROPs. With our napkin math, we see that in each scenario aside from RGBA8, XSX will have more fill rate than PS5 just due to bandwidth limitations.

Nice.
I updated the post. The ones that are ROP bound will have fill rates as frequency * ROPs. With our napkin math, we see that in each scenario aside from RGBA8, XSX will have more fill rate than PS5 just due to bandwidth limitations.
Mind you it might end up 640 vs 576 or even 560 vs 567.

Depends on the yields I guess. If they are crap, there would be more going into the bin, making the console costlier to manufacture. If yields are better than expected than there is virtually no extra cost.
Even if the defect rates are under control, there are some implications to the TDP & clocks; between functional chips, there will be some variation in watt/frequency, which the power/circuitry or cooling/chassis designs need to consider (although I suppose the noise factor can be a "deal with it" situation).

Thank you Richard.
If you’re like me and had issues catching up on a lot of small moving parts; Richard goes through the entirety of it and the recent performance leaks in a single video. Really helpful in clarifying how things became known so quickly and making sense of the results, Without having to read pages on end of concern trolling.

Obviously he's not expecting robots to be consumer products so could it be stealth Horizon Zero Dawn II hype? If Sony do show a real time trailer of it, hopefully it's on par with Hellblade II graphics wise which should give more hope of a 13 TF PS5 :mrgreen:. If it's Godfall level then cancel Project PS5 altogether!
It'll be a Playroom II demo with raytraced astrobots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back